close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keepin minnys

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by reel, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I've been thinking about seining for minnows in the local river, and the lake erie shore line, for minnows and keeping them in my small outdoor pond (300gal water garden) then using for bait.

Any problems here ?

2. Out where I live that bait wouldn't last 24 hrs. Raccoons, skunks, feral cats, herons, etc would clean 'em out in no time. ;)

3. The shiner minnows probably won't make it, on the other hand chubs might do OK.

4. i'm guessing your asking if this is legal or not. i would say as long as you don't try stocking them is some other body of water, don't no why you would do that but.., or try selling them you would be alright but i would call your county wildlife officer for the correct answer.
    this is from the ohio fishing regs.

BAIT It is unlawful for any person except licensed bait dealers to possess more than 100 crayfish or in combination 500 crayfish, minnows, and other bait fish. A bait dealers permit is required of persons buying or selling min-nows, crayfish, and hellgrammites. This permit may be obtained from any wildlife district office.

-It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, inverte-brate, plant) from one body of water to another.

5. They will keep with no problems.
    I keep mine in an old 10 gallon aquarum.
    You will loose a few till they learn enough to eat the flakes you put in for them.
    As long as you dont let them freeze or get over heated they will keep nicely.
    Don't have more them 500 (42 Doz.) of them to stay legal.

6. Keep the water moving with a pump or an aerator. In the summer, I would also throw a frozen 2-litre jug of water in the bucket to help keep the water cool.

7. if you wanna keep more than 500 just pay the $25 and get a bait dealers license. I keep mine in a 100 gallon galavinzed watering trough. They keep fine as long as there is good water flow and they are fed. I have kept the same batch of minnows alive for months. Same goes if ya wanna keep bluegill, yellowbellys, suckers, etc.

Jake

8. I keep them minnows alive by a frozen jug also in the summer. They dont need as much O. In the winter I put them in a insulated cont. and throw them in the fridge. itll help keep them from freezing. If u use a little styrofome it will slowly deploy bubbles. I stick with the air pump when possible. :cool:

9. Speaking of keeping minnows.

I have been focusing on fishing with minnows this spring. I have a bucket of them in my garage with an aerator from an old aqaurium. I feed them goldfish flakes and they seem to be doing fine. Does anyone have one of those portable bucket aerators? I think that would help when I go fishing to keep them alive over a long time. I see Cabela's have some for only $10 that take (2) D batteries and supposedly last for 30+ hours. Do these work well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Catslammer out.

10. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I bought my cheap-o aerator from Gander Mountain for $5.00. It runs on one D cell battery and thus far I have had it on for a total of about 20 hours. Not slowing down yet. Deffinately a good investment.

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

If you are keeping them for a long time invest in a good aerator and adapt it to an electrical outlet plug.

12. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

Thats probably best, as I jsut use mine for crappie fishing. Any left over bait I usually just toss in, as my sacrafice to the Crappie Gods...... :)

13. I've been considering keeping several dozen minnows on hand in an old 10-gal aquarium as well. Anyone know of a good place to get a price break if you buy more than a few dozen?

14. I Have The One From Cabelas..it Has The Styrofoam In It And A Pump W/2 Batteries.seems To Work Fine....

15. i sale a 5 gallon bucket lid and portable bucket aerators all for about 13 dollers u can make a 7 galllon minnow bucket my worst prob where i live is the ph in the water really high once i got that down like BuckeyeFishinNut says u can keep them a long time with good water flow

16. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

part time basser, you might want to try that bait shop in ravenna, the one mark owns, mogadore bait gives good counts and might work something out, another option would be to go to a bait wholesaler, such as akron wholesale bait or eddies and buy them by the LB.