close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Keep an "eye" out for Sauger...

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by acklac7, Dec 21, 2004.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Below are pics of both a saugeye and what I belive to be two Sauger. Note the white blotch on the caudal fin of the saugeye. Then look at the caudal fin of the two suspected saugers ...no blotch what so ever. Im not a Ichthyologist but I belive the white blotch is always present in Saugeye. But absent in Sauger. All fish were caught on the Scioto, which at one point had a native population of sauger,saugeye and walleye. She was also full of eggs. It would be a shame if someone got a state record sauger (7.14lbs I think) only to toss it back because they belived it was a saugeye.

Attached Files:

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Possible Sauger?:

Attached Files:

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

A bigger Sauger:

Attached Files:

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Caudal Fin

Attached Files:

5. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Its impossible for me to tell....I just try and catch them, walleye-saugeye-sauger, whatever....they all go in the frying pan if they are 20", that's what matters to me! I'm sure someone will be able to help identify the fish better though.

6. I definately think that your onto something "acklac7" That is a good catch on the markings on the caudal fins. I could only imagine how many new state record sauger have been caught on the ohio river, only to be considered a walleye or saugeye and not even given a second thought. Good Work and TightLines!

7. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Im sure people catch them all the time, but fail to notice the absence of a white blotch....Up until a year ago I never really paid attention. A.J...Oh yeah..I fair hooked the fish, its appears he was snagged, but managed to get away.

8. You seen ed down there latley?

Nice catch

9. Acklac7,

You could be right on your assessment but then again maybe not.:D From a lot of what I have read over the recent years, species identification is a very difficult thing when dealing with the 'eyes. Some information that I have read indicates that coloration and markings are not a clear indicator of species. I believe that the only way to know for sure is through tests. I am interested to hear some other guys' takes on this. Hopefully we can get Corey, one of our resident experts on saugeye to chime in.

10. Has anybody looked over the new state record saugeye pics? Is the white caudal fin present on that fish? From the way I see it the white caudal fin is a characteristic of walleye and saugeye but not sauger, right? The white caudal fin is present on my mounted 13 lb 2 oz Ohio River Walleye....TightLines!

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

good going on noticing the difference! I have often times wondered about people including myself missing a green sunfish or whatever thinking it was just a small gill. I can't tell the difference! I am sure I may have caught a sauger and thought it was a saugeye too! :eek:

12. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Saugeye are tough cuz they can take on more or less characteristics of either the Sauger or Walleye...

As for telling the difference between Sauger and Walleye... The white tip on the lower lobe of the caudal fin of a Walleye is definately a tell tale sign between the species. It isn't a tell tale sign between Walleye and Saugeye though because it may or may not be present. I have been consulting several sources for all these fish ID questions and one of them is the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fishes. Has some real good info, reading between the Sauger and Walleye here is another distinguishing fact taken straight from the guide. "Mouth extends to eye" on a Walleye, "Mouth extends past middle of eye", on a Sauger.

Well here, I'll just scan and let everyone read....lol....

PS Ack, I think you have those fish ID'd correct

13. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I've caught several sauger from O'shay spillway. They were visibley thinner, and none of them had the white markings on the tail.