close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

keel rollers, bunks or both?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i have figured out that the crack on my hull is the result of lack of support from the trailer. it was fine until i moved the rig forward on the trailer for more support under the transom. it's so small i can't even get a pin head into it. im in the process of filling it and painting it. it's an easy fix. what caused this? ive talked to many people about this and it seems, im lacking bunk support. i have only 2 bunks, whereas others have 4 bunks or 2 bunks and keel rollers. i was just wondering what everyone else has. im putting keel rollers on right now and im thinking about adding 2 extra bunks. what do you think? overkill? anyhow whats supporting your hull??? thanks.:D

2. Got some photos or dimensions ?

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

My previous boat I took to trailer guy for evaluation. If your not sure what you are doing you can make things worse or create new issues.

4. ezbite

everything is being bolted on. no holes are being drilled into the trailer frame.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Hey EZ... a response from one of the Iboats gurus...

Sounds like your on the right track to solving your issue.

6. ezbite

thanks KaGee, you are always a lot of help when i post a question:D

7. Overkill not...go for it.

8. ezbite

my thoughts exactly.:D

9. Ez, I saw a picture yesterday will surfing the net of a
    boat that had rollers on the trailer. Granted it was an
    older aluminum boat but you could see the wheel marks
    on the bottom of the hull. I think the bunks give more
    support because you have more surface area touching
    the bottom of the boat, not just the top of each wheel.
    My opinion.

Bill

10. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

EZ,
    I'm @ 5,500 lbs. dry (boat only) and probably another 1800 lbs. of gear and fluids. My tandem trailer is setup with only 2 bunks. I believe it's all in how you load your boat on the trailer. It's important to get the trailer under the boat as far as possible and then winch it further over and on to the stanchion. As was mentioned, it's possible to really stress local areas of the hull by not distributing the weight properly.
    Just me .02...!

11. ezbite

yes i agree. i am going to modify my method by putting the trailer deeper into the water. i didnt dunk the trailer enough before, just to the fenders. the last few feet i REALLY had to crank on the winch to get it up to the bow roller. funny thing, that crack is right where i start to bear down on the crank and it stops where i stop cranking:eek: . live and learn i guess. my last boat was aluminum. it would crank up on the trailer out of the water.