close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

kayaks

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by bird, Jun 16, 2005.

1. bird

bird

I was at Dicks over the weekend and seen victory kayacks discounted to 199.99 due to the company retiring. I picked one up at that price. Can't wait to paddle some white!

2. dnm

dnm

How is fishing in a kayak, Ive been thinking of trying it

3. .....great fishing in those,you can sneak up on fish, get into impossible areas, fish small bodies of water and bigger ones, and you can paddle circles around boats on electic motor lakes.

4. dnm

dnm

how much is a good starter one? Does anyone know of any good sites about kayak fishing?

5. old town sells an okay one for around 300 bucks. I have a wilderness systems pungo that is usually around 500 that i got on sale at dicks for 300. I looked up that victory brand and it seems pretty comparable to mine. The old towns hulls doesn't seem as hydrodynamic as mine and i think they would be a little slower and not track as well. Really the only cirteria that matters for fishing is the size of cockpit. The touring ones have smaller ones and not enough room to store rods, tackle, etc. You can get roof foam pads to transport them for around 20 bucks too if you don't have a roof rack or a truck. As far as websites, just google in kayak fishing. i did lots of research on mine before i bought it but i can't remember the actual sites. I think dicks still sells me model under a different name for relatively cheap. That victory looked pretty comparable to it though. By the way, they are deadly for crappie in wood, i ramped up on the logs and coulda caught them all day, i threw back almost twice as many as i caught that day.
    [​IMG]

6. Kayaks are fishing machines!

I bought a Perception Swifty (the cheapest kayak I could find) over 4 years ago. I have totals abused this thing! Dragging it for miles over rocks in rivers, or cross-country to get to ponds. It even flew off my Jeep at 40MPH last spring. It is still going strong! I think that mast kayaks are made out of the same general material, and at under $200 any kayak is a steal.

www.riversmallies.com has some good information on kayaks in their watercraft section.

As kayaks become more and more popular….I hope that OGF starts a section.

[​IMG]

7. dnm

dnm

How easy is it to manuever around inside it as far as to change a lure or take off a fish?do you use an anchor?

8. An anchor would be nice on a pond/lake in the wind. However, I like to keep it simple. I have heard that anchors are dangerous in moving water. After awhile, you get used to paddling (sometimes with one hand) to maintain your position.

I’m very comfortable in my kayak, but I’m only 5’6”. It is not a problem to move around, get fish, tackle, or rig up a rod. However, longer rods (7’) can be tricky, as you cannot reach the tip with the handle in your hand. If you’re really interested in kayaks, I would suggest renting one for the day. Most outfitters now rent kayaks.

9. dnm

dnm

I understand ya completely roost, im only 5' 6"-5'7" too. Im going to rent one at trapper johns tommorow and see.are you in central ohio roost?

10. I'm 6'2'' and its not really a problem, like rooster said, shorter rods are nice. Cabelas sells some nice rod holders for canoe/kayaks and make everything a little easier. I even troll in mine by using the rod holders. I don't use an anchor either and usually just use my hands to keep in the position i want. The only complaint i have is that you are so close to the water that its tough to see through the reflection if the water is real clear so you miss a lot of the sight casting and sunken structure that is visable in a bigger boat. But it does make casting into tight or low spots much easier

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have an 11 ft perception sierra and I am 6'5. I just had to lengthen my foot rests. As for anchors. I use an old window weight and it works great. I don't leave home without it. You can also fill a water bottle with rocks and sand and use that for an anchor. It does not take much to keep the yak in place. You do have to be careful in current with an anchor, but I would not have caught as many fish this weekend if not for my anchor. They allow me to stay right below riffles and fish instead of floating down stream. I have paddle holders that i tie the rope to. Just make sure you can untie or cut the rope quickly.

12. dnm

dnm

Thanks for all the ideas guys, have you sent anyone a pm about adding a kayak section?

13. bird

bird

I think a kayak section is a great idea for this site. I can already think of so many ideas for it. As we know it is a growing sport.

14. r those 300$ cheapies worth the money? would i be ahead spending a little more?

15. dnm

dnm

I want to pick one up now. I tried one at trapper johns . They sell there used ones for 175-300. the guys said to check back after labor day.

16. !#
    hhjhjhjhjhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

17. dnm

dnm

Hey mojo and rooster I got a yak today!!!! Its a new pelican. Buckeye outdoors in hebron was having a sale so i picked one up!

18. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

How much was it, I have been looking all year so far. That blaster for $199 was a good deal from Dicks, but if I was to go with victory/wilderness I would go with the classic 12 (the pungo) but the Dicks in columbus does not carry them. Nor did they advertise any of the specials, you had to read a catalogue to know it was on sale.

I have my heart set on a Loon or something like it, a friend of mine has an old town loon and it is really nice to fish from. What where the specs on the pelican you got and what was the model ?

19. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Harry, It depends on what you want to use it for. If you are just going to go out for an afternoon or evening with minimal gear a cheaper model will suit your needs. If you are going to go all day or overnight you may want one with dry storage and a higher weight limit. Most kayaks for under 300 bucks have a capacity of 250lbs. So if you are a bigger person you should get a yak with a 500lb capacity. I do overnight floats and weigh about 200 lbs so a 250 weight limit would not do me any good with all of my beer, I mean gear. You may also want one that is a little longer with a bigger opening for getting in and out of and for better tracking. I reccomend 11ft models such as the perception sundance or sierra. They have about the perfect dimensions,capacity and features for fishing. If you get much longer than 12ft they get harder to manuver in small creeks that i like to fish. Check out Perception, Dagger or Old towne for a quality yak. Paddle Power in Chillicothe has the best selection in Ohio. They also have a website. Joe