Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Kayak towards the end of this month and I'm super stoked.

The only questions I have about fishing out of a kayak are
1) id getting a anchor system worth it?
2) electronics? yes or no.
3) Is it easier to have a smaller rod and reel combo?

Thanks yall

·
Registered
398 Posts
very exciting. you will have a blast. i rented yaks for years and recently bought a used one.

1) anchors can be dangerous in rivers. i say do without. ive never felt the need to drop an anchor. i just jump out if there's a spot i want to cast a few more times in, or i'll paddle back up a bit.

2) electronics- also not necessary but if it's in the budget, go for it. it would be nice to get an instant depth reading some times, but im doing fine without so far. batteries are heavy too!

3) smaller fishing rods wont save you much room or make anything much easier. fish with what you are comfortable with. i use a medium action rod but some guys really love ultra lights.

good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am getting a Kayak towards the end of this month and I'm super stoked.

The only questions I have about fishing out of a kayak are
1) id getting a anchor system worth it?
2) electronics? yes or no.
3) Is it easier to have a smaller rod and reel combo?

Thanks yall
I just got my first kayak a few weeks ago. Fished 3 times out of it now (oshaughnessy twice and prairie oaks north pond). It came with the anchor and I used it in oshaughnessy. I was happy to have it here actually. It was a windy day and I was being pushed faster than i wanted to be. I don't think it was dangerous at all. I wouldn't recommend using it in fast current...but it worked well around the Home Rd part of Oshaughn.

it's a 3lb anchor. i've read that you can use a dumbell as well. get something cheap in case it gets stuck. Mine got wrapped up around a big stick. I was able to pull it out eventually by rowing up stream and pulling. I thought I was going to cut it loose but managed to get it.

When fishing pairie oaks pond, i never used my anchor. it was a calm day with no wind so i just kept my paddle in my lap and used it occasionally to get in to position.

I have no electronics yet. :)

as for rods, I keep 3 rods with me at all times. i have 3 rod holders on mine so it's easy to keep them with me. i have an ultra light and two mediums with me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm surprised at how few people I see yakking, considering what pretty streams we have.
It's a cheap way to gain access to remote spots. The only downside of owning one of these is storage. I need a better way to store this in my garage. I thought about keeping it outside but I'd rather not have it in the elements year round.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am on mine in one of the central ohio rivers, and sometimes Lake Erie at least once a week from Ice out till December if I can get away with it.

Right now I am in the process of getting a trolling motor installed on mine by bassyaks so I can free my hands while fishing and still have control.

1) I think getting an anchor system (trolly system) is worth it. I anchor all the time in rivers, just use common sense and never anchor off the side of your craft.

2) I have a fish finder, but you definitely don't need it , in fact the only time I really use it is when I am on Lake Erie looking for structure. The rest of the time its a expensive depth finder.

3) I agree , just use what rods you are comfortable with. When I am yaking I will use everything from a UL rod to a 8 footer. Most of the time though I have a 6'6" and two 7' rods whenever I am out on the water.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you are planning on anchoring in prairie oats you better have a lot of rope. Over 90 foot deep. I use my kayak just about the same way I use my bassboat. I have a fishfinder that I use all the time mainly to find the drop offs in lakes. I really don't use it much in out rivers because most are shallow. I usually have 4 poles rigged and ready to use where ever I'm fishing. Do yourself a favor and go to a kayak dealer and ask to use there floor models before you buy one. Great Miami Outfitters in Dayton will treat you right. Kayaks are just like everything else you pay for what you get. In my opinion Jackson fishing kayaks are hard to beat. They have a really comfortable seat that you can fish all day without your back aching.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you are planning on anchoring in prairie oats you better have a lot of rope. Over 90 foot deep. I use my kayak just about the same way I use my bassboat. I have a fishfinder that I use all the time mainly to find the drop offs in lakes. I really don't use it much in out rivers because most are shallow. I usually have 4 poles rigged and ready to use where ever I'm fishing. Do yourself a favor and go to a kayak dealer and ask to use there floor models before you buy one. Great Miami Outfitters in Dayton will treat you right. Kayaks are just like everything else you pay for what you get. In my opinion Jackson fishing kayaks are hard to beat. They have a really comfortable seat that you can fish all day without your back aching.
Yeah...I wouldn't anchor there unless I'm close to the shoreline.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a pro angler...best deepwater kayak out there...I'm up in Cleveland if your close ill let you try it out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Anchors are great when you need them, you just need to know when not to use them. If you cant easily paddle up stream and hold your position then you have no business anchoring there. Use it so you do not slowly drift away from a spot, NOT to stop the current from washing you away. In that case tie off to a log or tree limb, but still not recommended with high current.

Again fish finders are great when you need them. It is always good to know depth which is the only reason I use mine. But I only use it 50 percent of the time. After being on a creek so many times you get to know it pretty well. But without the electronics It takes a lot longer to learn.

Ok I would not recommend taking a noodle rod out but other than that just use your normal gear. Rod length on the kayak is give and take. Longer rods are a little more awkward and harder to land a fish with. On the other hand you are sitting down on something that moves freely so a long rod helps you cast and gives you more torque on hook sets and fights.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts