Kayaking The Creeks

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey guys. I am in the market for a creek/river yak. I know a lot of you guys use them, and I am requesting some help. Although I am not necisarily looking looking at an exact model or brand, but more of a style. Which type is better for stability and comfort...sit in or on top? How about for toting gear? Just looking for some insight! I mostly fish the 3 creeks system and the Scioto.

2. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

You will have fun! It is a difficult situation finding which you will like. You can find some good reviews on which you looking for. If you plannning fishing out if like I do. I have a Wilderness System Panlico 14.5 fishing yak and been using it for 4 years or so. It is Sit inside. I am in plans of picking up another one this year. Actually may get one in Florida next month cause I like to give some more thought on the SOT yaks. One thing to keep in mind is you need to be comfortable on the seat and if your not then your back will hurt. These things can fly! Much better than a canoe in my opinion. My mind is already made up that it will be one made by Native Kayak. The Back Packers in Sheiffeild is suppose to get them in hopefully March. But I prefer the Sit inside cause you dont have to worry about your stuff falling out like on a SOT.
    Hope this help.

3. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Yup, I second that. For around here, I think sit-ins are better.
    For river fishing, I like my 9ft Perception better than the bigger
    yaks (my bud's got 2 - 12 ft Pungos). I like the shorter yaks,
    they're more maneuverable - great for spinning out of fast water
    into eddies, ect.

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Yeah what he said! For our small creeks and rivers a small sit inside is the way to go in my opinion. They are lightweight and super manueverable which is a real bonus. Also, I am a keep it simple kind of guy. I only need to bring 4 or 5 baits with me so a SOT would be overkill for me. A friend has a 9' SIT and it is plenty fast and it is so nimble he can go anywhere and it is just really nifty.

Also, if I am not mistaken.....Mushi you are a relatively small guy so no need to get a big ole SOT when a small 9' or 10' would be easy to transport and all you need really.

Ok, I am telling you to much of what I like. The best thing to do is try a few out. Then, you will figure out which one you like. Though, for packing light and our small streams I think a small, lightweight SIK is the best option.

CG

5. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Small yak are fine if you are under 6 ft. But I hate to be cramped. Longer yak are not as fun in the class 1 or 2 rivers but is managable though. Have to think how much stuff you want to take along as I tend to take 3 rods out with me most of the time. Longer yak are better suited if you planning on distance to fish. I fish out of my 14.5 yak in class 2 rivers but I use my head and not do dumb stunts. I see you are in Cols. area. Is there anyone there has the Native/Heritage fishing Yaks?

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I'm 6'1" 185 so about average. What are the disadvantages of the SOT? Less easy to cast and access gear in? I just like the idea of being able to get out easily...but am unsure of how stable they are when casting.

7. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

I was under the impression that the s.o.t.'s were a little tippier, but I could be wrong.
    I guess for warm weather a sot wouldn't be bad, but I've been out in blizzards,
    and a sit in with a spray skirt definitely keeps you warmer.

I've also gone out on Lake Erie in 3-5s. Don't think I'd do that on a sit on top!:eek:

Here's good reference - they have reviews on just about any yak out there -
    http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/

8. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

SOT are actually quite stable. But the guy said I wouldn't do it in colder weather either. I took my yak on it first maiden voyage on Erie but I sure wasn't to comfy either but now I would go out on it since I have more experience. The nice thing about some yak that designed for fishing are definitly more stable and little bit wider but as not to feel like a slow canoe. Some yaks you can stand up and cast out of it but only do it in shallow water though. I find it just easier to get out and cast was much easier.

9. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Mushijobah - There are advantages to both but I like "sit on tops" because you can get in and out very easily and tackle is easily accessible. I'm sure the different models have dramatically different handling, but one I use is very stable and has many great features such as rod holders, spot between knees for tackle box with a strap to secure, straps to hold paddle while fighting a fish, place for bucket behind seat and a dry well in front. It is made of molded plastic and is basically indestructible. When it is cold, I just wear neoprene waders. Link below shows picture of kayak in use.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=31065&cat=500

10. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks a lot for the insight guys. Both are looking about equal in convenience! Gosh, if only there was a sit-in with rod holders and easy in/out capabilities!

11. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Mushi. There are easy to get out. just some are better suited for fishing then other. My yak is is like a tandem but has one seat, 2 rod holders, anchor system and it also came with an areated bait bucket but that I gave away since I dont do bait. Goodluck on choosing your yak!

12. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

If you want the "Cadilac" of Kayaks and have extra cash layin around go for one of these.

Man I really want one LOL. I came across a lot of good info on the Colorado site there since there really are tons of people there that use Kayaks both sit in and SOT and also the 1 man pontoons.

Pontoons are getting huge out there

www.Mokai.com

I did some digging and found my original link on the Colorado site with some really good info. :)

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=20317.msg186926#msg186926

13. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks guys, I'll check out river smallies.

PS that mokai looks SWEET!

14. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

That Mokai thing is one sweet looking dream fishin machine. I don't have that kind of cash layin around though. Seems reasonable and if I was lookin to buy a boat, I might buy that instead!

Also, I know some like the pontoons, but I wouldn't want one for our small rivers and creeks. Think windy days = issues, and think overhanging trees and narrows runs and riffles. Just a little food for thought.

CG

15. I absolutely love using my kayak on the tangy, scioto and darby. I've got a 11' Perception sit-in that works great for me. My dad has a 10' wilderness systems he uses frequently and my wife loves her 9' Swifty. These are very small and maneuverable boats, easy to load and great for fishing those streams. I like the sit-ins for this reason, also because I think you can stay a little more dry. This would be my reccomendation for most situations. You can pick these up at Dick's for $200-400. Then you've got to get all of the stuff that goes with it, so double that number.

My friend has a 13' Tarpon sit-on-top that he uses. Very stable. He's a real big guy, so he needs the size and can actually stand on the thing. It's a little big for ohio stream use imoh, but a fantastic boat.

That being said, I prefer to use my canoe when I have company. To me, fishing is more fun with others and kayaks can lead to lonely angling.

16. they had some $200 yaks at GM and dicks on black friday, they $400 now. I am upset that I did not buy one myself! Not sure if they were any good.

17. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

That's what I heard Greg! We missed out!

18. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I own an Old Town Otter barebones model....I installed my own deck rigging for $7, threw in a $5 inflatable seat cushion from Dick's and use my tackle box in the bow of the kayak as my footpegs...

The wonderful thing about customizing your yak is that you can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to! Most of the accessories necessary for Ohio fishing are relatively easy do it yourself projects. Just something to keep in mind...

As far getting in and out of a kayak, well that all depends. If you have a relatively flat surface under either a SOT or SIT they are very easy to get in and out of. However, if you're trying to exit the craft from a deep pool on the edge of a dropoff you will find it difficult no matter what craft you have. The boat will push away from you as you shift your weight to exit. The key to easy exit is some type of friction on the bottom!

I'm 5'11" and need to get out every 3-4 hours and stretch the legs a little. Not because of being cramped, but because of being in the same position for so long!

Stability and Speed are some of the tradoffs with smaller models. My otter is definitely not the fastest but it is stable...If I can answer any more questions, feel free to pm...

Ohio River flathead don't stand a chance vs. the yaks!
    [​IMG]

Notice the two blocks of wood under my deck rigging with my rod holders....net cost $25 (but it is a little redneck!?!?)

19. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

That is tight being in that small yak. It kind of hard to not take to much stuff cause there no room. But it works.:)