close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayaking for bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, May 15, 2004.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Heading to my sisters private pond in Gahanna ( about 10 acres) to bass fish Sunday morning. Most of the time I use white or yellow spinnerbaits, tomarrow I want to try some new lures. This time of year will a crank work out bumping bottom and structure better than big old spinners? I'm a smallmouth creek waders so these stagnent bodies of water that are deeper than the area creeks/rivers throw me for a loop sometimes. I do very well but I want to try something new. Now if the wind is up, jig/worm is very hard to fish slow due to the kayak will get on plane in 10 mph wind,lol! Any suggestions before I head out? Hope this darn cold front doesn't give them lockjaw.... But I'm thrilled just to get out of the house!!!

Mike

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Pond bass are probably guarding nests right now. I hit my pond today and watched lots of big LM's chasing bluegills away from the beds. I got one on a Senko and one on a tube. To have success, you'll probably need to fish slow with plastics. When I say "slow", I mean SLOW ! I had the tube sitting motionless in front of a bass for 4 or 5 minutes before the fish hit.
    good luck,
    EH

3. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

try buzz baits over the nest, i went to a local pond and was using a 1/8oz black buzz in the morning & afternoon, killed the bass.

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Fishing the pond from 9-12 Sunday morning from the kayak, caught 3 nice bass, lost a few short strikers, also caught a mess of crappies, caught one that I bet was over a pound, hit my huge spinnerbait. After I caught it, I fished roadrunners with white twistertails fast for the crappies since the bass bite wasn't very good, the crappies seemed to be at the surface after minnows, would only hit fast retrieves. I think the are on the beds and with the cold front and winds they didn't want messed with.

Mike