close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak ???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by kernal83, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I was thinking about buying a kayak this year. Anyone out there use them for fishing? I have heard that they work well, but wanted to hear what some of you had to say. Also was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what type of kayak to get.

2. I love mine, just don't get a chance to take it out much. A few problems are that i don't have an anchor on it and if there is even a slight breeze i get blown out of where i'm trying to fish. i could easily solve that though. Also, it is difficult to see in clear waters because you are so low to the water and at a bad angle, but a pair of polarized glasses helps. Standard length rods are a little difficult to manage too but once you get used to it it's not bad. I usually just use my ultralight. They really are great for sneaking up on fish and getting into tight spots. When crappie are spawing i just find some fallen timber and ramp my yak right on top of it. drop the jig over the side and wham. When you look fro models, make sure it has a large cockpit to store all your stuff. I have a wilderness systems pungo and its great, IMO the best bang for the buck. It tracks great and is pretty quick, and very stable. I know Dicks sells the same yak under a different name now. i think around $350-500. Cabelas and gander sell Old Town's which are cheap and popular but the hull design i think makes them a little slower. Daggers are nice too but more pricey.

3. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

I fish quite a bit out of my Dagger Blackwater 11.5. I have already put in close to 50 miles this year. I also just bought a Perception Axess. It's a Whitewater boat that is stable enough to fish from and can handle BIG water.

It takes some getting used to, but I love fishing out of my yak. The angles are all different when casting but you will adjust.

Mine is outfitted with two Scotty rodd holders(the small ones) and an anchor. I use a three pound dumbell. I mount my tackle bag right on the deck in front of me for easy access and my cooler on the deck behind me.
    There are a lot of different models to choose from that all do different things.

My advise is to check out manufacturer websites and a few others that I will list below. Get the right yak the first time and it will save a lot of frustration.

www.oldtowncanoe.com
    www.wildernesssystems.com
    www.dagger.com
    www.paddling.net
    www.riversmallies.com

Good luck, it's a lot of fun!

Winner

4. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating