close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak or Raft in Columbus area?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by leaflet, May 28, 2008.

1. I've been thinking getting a kayak or inflatable Raft for fishing around Columbus. Which of them will give me more water to go? Thank you for your inputs on this. I have no idea for either of them.

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Depends on the size of the water you want to hit.

If any smaller river/creek water is in your plans, kayak is the only way to go due to low hanging objects and shallow water that would kill an inflatable.

Canoe would be a good option as well.

I own kayaks and love it.

3. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I thought you died Brock,lol.

Forget the inflatable, get a yak, just like brock said, yak will get you anywhere and is awesome to fish out of, an inflatable wouldn't last an hour where I go, and very hard to cover much water with one.
    Mike

4. Thanks guys. Kayak is in favor. I will go to Dicks' this weekend and see what to have:)

5. StuckAtHome

Do NOT just go get one, you will be sorry, trust me. Goto http://www.riversmallies.com/ and look in the non-motorized forum and see what is recommended. I would say get a SIT ON TOP (SOT) over a Sit IN Kayak (SIK), just my preference. Also get a shorter one for the rivers around here, 10- 12'. Some of the best models are tarpon 120's or 100's, Manta ray 10 or 12. If you want a traditional SIK, a dagger blackwater 10 footer is a great all around yak, great for fishing and handles whitewater up to class 3's.
    Try before you buy, trust me. There is a kayak shop in upper arlington called outdoors outfitters( I think), they have demo's every thursday night at griggs, you can try out everything they have, call them and tell them what you want to try, they will bring it. Or you call call and they will let you take a boat to griggs to try out for yourself, without them being there. They are a class act place, I get a bunch of my stuff from them. Also don't go cheap on your paddle, expect to spend about $75 minimum, another trust me. Call or email me (I'll PM you) if you have any questions.
    Mike

6. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

I'm trying my hardest Mike, heh.

Wait until you hear about this past weekend.

As for the SOT vs. SIK, I have had both and each has its advantages. Thats really why testing one out before buying is important. I have a tarpon 100 now and really like it, but lifting my old 11 ft. America was MUCH easier at the end of a long float. Weight of the kayak should be heavily considered. 50 lbs. or so doesn't sound like much, but if you have to lift it onto a roof at the end of an all day float, it gets heavy fast.

7. GOTEM'

GOTEM' K C C O

I was cruzin Craigslist and came across these 2 Kayak's for $550. They look nice enough ones 9.5 & the other is 11ft. Thought I would help you out a little,cuz if you go to Dick's your goin to pay $500 for one.http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/698679672.html

8. dont completly give up on inflatable. If you want easy transport and storage + you plan to take your kayak lets say to Florida every now and again, it may be a great solution.

The AE Convertible I own:
    http://www.rei.com/product/736947?p...-E22C-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

is a fantastic product and we are very happy with it.

But then, if you have a truck or dont mind carrying the yak on a roof of your car, sure a hardshell will be faster.

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Leaflet,

I kayak would be your best option. I definately think you should try before you buy. As Mike said there is a TON of great and useful information on Riversmallies website. The yak dealer in Columbus I think Mike meant to refer you to is Clintonville Outfitters. I haven't checked them out yet, but I will be soon and will likely hit one of their demos at Griggs before the summer is out.

CG

10. StuckAtHome

Nope, there is one in Upper arlinton kyle, just looked at the card in my wallet, outdoor source(theoutdoorsource.com), very good people, call them about demo thursdays...

11. imalt

imalt Banned

the blast is 200.00 at dicks right now. Also they are having a sale through the 31st I am going to check it out this weekend. they have a lot under 350.00 though. The blast looks pretty cheap up close.

12. StuckAtHome

You get what you pay for, remember that. I fell for a cheap yak at Dick's, sold it a month later. Expect to spend at least $500-$700 new, $300 used for a recommended yak, its like buying a car, you don't just get the cheapest and expect the best from it, they are cheap because they ARE cheap!

13. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Sorry about that Mike. I wasn't familiar with that one. Anywho, for those shoppping for a kayak consider this also. You gonna sit on a plain hunk of plastic and fish for an hour. That might work out. You gonna float 6 miles of your favorite river and spend 6-8 hours in the thing......well a little comfort is worth a few extra bucks.

I think Native/Heritage have the cat's bum for the most comfortable seats, but I'll admit I haven't yet sat in a lot of different yaks. Though, I have been in a couple.

CG

14. yeah, if you are serious about kayaking, dont but the $200 kayak. They short, usually with no storage and made from flexible material = slow.

get yourself a nice, longer kayak with plenty of waterproof storage that you can use year around and that is fun to paddle. paddling.net is your best friend, very helpful people on that site.

15. Hi, I bought my first yak this past winter in Fl. at age 66, they say it's never too late. I took the advise of some experienced yak'ers and it paid off. The type of yak you get is really determined by what you are using it for. The sit on top are much more stable for fishing but if you want to just go for a paddle they are much heavier and harder to paddle. The sit in are lighter,(around 50# for a 14ft) less stable but are easier to paddle, and with a large cockpit are very easy to fish out of. I was told to consider ,for the sit in, at least a 14 footer. NEVER, NEVER buy a sit in without SITTING in it, you will know why after you sit in a couple of them. Go the extra few bucks to buy a good paddle, a few ounces make a lot on difference on a long paddle. You do about a 1000 strokes an hour. The plastic yak's are rated a 15 year yak and the composites are a 30 year yak. I personally bought a Hurricane 14ft Sport witch is made in the USA rare these day's. Expect to spend $700 to $1500 for a good sit in and about $120 to $150 for a good paddle. Have only had my yak for a short time but it was money very well spent.
    Went to AEP last week, did fare two days and great one day, using purple lizard's.

16. I've got a heritage sit on top that i have had for a couple years now, I love it, it's very confortable. I am 6'4" so i had to be pretty selective when it came to comfort. Definatly try before you buy!

17. StuckAtHome

Yaks are the way to go, but a few points to your post. The plastics yaks are heavier, BUT if your paddling our rivers mostly they take a ton of abuse, believe me, the expensive lighter boats can be ruined quickly in rocky flows. 14 footers are great for touring flat water, but impossible to maneuver in moving water, just too long to turn. You can get great sik's new for around $600, same with SOT's. If you have troubles with getting in and out because of age or health issues, SOT's are prime for that, anyone can look good getting in or out, now SIK's even the best of us end up looking like idiots squeezing in, large cockpit or not. If you run rivers, the cheap plastic is hard to beat and beat up, and stick with 10 to 12 footers, the 14 foot ones turn like trucks.

18. Chillbilly

Chillbilly Kayakfishing Ohio

Another vote for a kayak and a vote for SOT yak if you are going to fish out of one. With my SOT, I can sit on the edge and hang my legs over the edge and fish if I want. I am really pleased with it.

You will want to sit in the kayaks prior to buying one to see how they fit your particular butt/back. I tried several out before buying mine.