Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 2016 be the year that I actually purchase a new boat? Quite possibly. I don't have the budget for a Jackson, but I have spied a few good boats that would work out great for a guy on a budget. My 3 best contenders are:

1. Perception Swifty Deluxe 9.5 $370 on sale. This boat has been around a long time. It is a solid entry level sik, and I know it would handle my creek/river ventures like a champ. It wouldn't need much at all and would be ready to rock. Draw back is that it wouldn't do great on lakes or with getting a deer out of the woods which isn't a big deal, but it's a bit of a downer.

2. Perception Pescador Pro 10.0 $729 not on sale. Hoping it might go on sale soon. This is a good looking SOT as it has an adjustable seat rather than a hole with pads. I am very high on this boat, but not sure I can swing this one unless I get a good sale price. It would work for nearly everything that I want to do.

3. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 $719 not on sale. I have actually paddled and fished out of this boat so I know it well. I imagine the Pescador Pro to be very similar, but with a better seat. Again, it would do everything that I would expect it to. This is not a boat likely to go on sale as they usually don't.

So, those are my choices. I really need to be about $650 or lower, and I am not even looking at a used boat. Feel free to offer thoughts, opinions, advice or insights especially if you have paddled any of these. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Swifty

With all the options available today, I’m not sure the Swifty would be my #1 suggestion. However, it was my first kayak (over 15 years ago). I fished out of a Swifty for many years, and it got the job done on lakes, rivers, and ponds. It’s speed, tracking, and stability is what you would expect from a short/wide SINK. There are certainly more comfortable kayaks available today that offer a better fishing platform for many different fishing conditions. The Swifty does still have some advantages:

Under $400, and you could be fishing out of it today. That is a HUGE savings when compared with the $1000 - $2000 “fishing” kayaks.

The other BIG advantage is that the Swifty is small and light. I’ve pulled a Swifty through miles of AEP trails that I would not even consider with a larger kayak. And, don’t discount the ease of car topping a light SINK vs a heavy SOT. If you plan to do a lot of loading/unloading the disadvantage of small & light on the water are more than compensated by the advantages off the water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.