Kayak fishing spots?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TexasJon, Jul 6, 2008.

1. TexasJon

TexasJon Jon

Hello-

I believe there are a few people on this website that have kayaks. I just bought an ocean kayak and have yet to take it out. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good kayak "launching spots"? I would like areas without a ton of boating traffic, and also decent for fishing. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

3. You could narrow it down a bit and it would be easier to help out.
    Do you want to fish lakes or rivers?
    What are you looking to catch?
    How long is your Ocean Kayak?

In a broad sense, if you are looking for lakes, than pretty much any public boat ramp will do you. I'd maybe steer more towards lakes with a 10 HP max limit so you don't get washed out from power boats. Or Alum has some quiet little back bays on the North side.

Rivers: Find one nearby, find a bridge crossing, and 90% of the time you'll be able to pull off and launch there.
    If you're by yourself, I like to wade upstream while towing my kayak behind me. I get out and paddle the deep spots, then back to wading. You hardly know the kayak is behind you.
    After you're done wading a couple miles upstream, simply jump in your yak and float back down to your truck.

If you're fishing with a buddy, use Google Earth and hone in on a stretch you like....bridge to bridge. (Google Earth has a measuring tool so you can actually trace the river and KNOW how many river miles it is, which is obviously way different than car miles).
    We usually figure out one hour for each mile of fishing...give or take depending on levels.

Other places to get info:
    Ohio Division of Watercraft has maps of all the navigatable rivers in Ohio, along with their access points, milage between put ins, low head dams, etc...
    Google Earth
    USGS Stream Gage Page

Good luck and wear your PFD.

4. tpat

tpat

Big Darby Creek is a great float and fish.

Hoover on the north end would be a good time.

Olentangy is good but watch out for the dams!

And I second andyman on Google Earth. This is a GREAT resource.

5. TexasJon

TexasJon Jon

Thanks for the tips! I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. I went this afternoon to twin lakes (o'shay). No luck whatsoever, the water looked like chocolate milk, and it was the middle of the day. I will try some others!

6. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Lots of yaks out on Hoover. A great area to launch from is twin bridges ramp. Sandy/pea gravel ramp makes it easy to launch these types of boats. Plus, the cove at twin bridges is big enough that you never really need to head out on the main lake.

7. I don't know how much kayak experience you have, but at 13 feet, and with the amount of keel that boat has, you might want to restrict the majority of your paddling to lakes and ponds.
    13 feet could get more than a little dicey on a good majority of the streams in Ohio. We had a guy in a 12 footer about wrap his around a tree this weekend....couldn't get it turned in time when it mattered most.

Be safe and good luck.

8. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

Try taking your gear dow to the AEP area. Lots of fishable water, plenty of fish, very little rough stuff to play in.

9. That's a good idea too.
    I used to fish AEP area a BUNCH. It s chalked full of great largemouth if you can kind of get away from the easy spots close to parking.
    If you can rig up some kind of dolly/wheel/carrying deal, than you could get back into some crazy ponds that don't see many lures.
    Most of them are accessable via old two tracks, so pulling/rolling a kayak would be a good option.

10. TexasJon

TexasJon Jon

I just moved here, where is AEP?

11. Here you go:
    http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/
    This link has a map AND the permit. All you have to do is fill out the permit, download it, and carry it with you. I believe it's good for life and it's free. (Check all that as I'm going off memory and it may have changed since.)
    There's over 300+ lakes/ponds in there. We used to fish it hard in float tubes up until about 10 years ago. There's so many off the path little ponds that we had to start numbering them. I think we were up to like 60 soemthing ponds that we would have no problem driving there to fish.
    Oh BTW, it's a good 1 1/2 hour poke from you in Powell. It's SE of Zanesville.
    Best way to approach it may be to download the map of the area. Then bring it up in Google Earth and look for out of the way ponds that come off old logging roads. Those would be the ponds to hit. There's a handful of ponds close to campsites and real roads that definately hold fish, but as you can imagine, the further away you get from those the better the fishing gets.
    By the time we got it all figured out, you could expect to catch 15-25 bass a day, with a few 3 lbers mixed in, and usually one of the three of us would get into a 4-5lb bass. I saw a 9.5 lber come out of one of the beaver ponds in March.
    Long haul, steep terrain, but good fishing and it's nothing to have a pond to yourself.

BTW, also an outstanding place to deer and turkey hunt. (Again, I believe they still allow you to hunt there, but you might want t o check that link first.)

Good luck if you go. I'd be dying to hear how you did if you make it.

12. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I have fished in class 2 water with my 14 ft Wilderness System fishing for bass. I have not had a single problem using and would prefer it over any smaller yak than 12 ft. any day! Just use your head and don't try to do something a little bit rash when navigating rapids and rocks etc. One fun way to fish in places a bass boat can't go.

13. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Just do a search of AEP and you will find a gang of threads.
    Much of the area is still open but there are clearly marked areas that are off limits. There is quite a group on this site that go down there and take yaks and tubes. If you ask and explain that you're new to the area some of them will surely help you out. FIshjunky is one that knows the ponds and tubes down there frequently. If you want to go for a drive and check the area out I would recommend taking US 70 East over to SR 83 South which is about 15 mins East of zanesville. Follow 83 South, you will come to a stop sign at SR 146 in a small town called Cumberland, go through the stop and just thru that on the right is a bait store where you can get a map and possibly some useful information. Your destination is then just a few miles to the South on 83 and then East and West from there. It is a fun place to go, take bug spray, ticks, skeeters and bitng deer flies abound this time of year.
    PS there are a couple shortcuts but you will learn them later, the way I recommend the first time is the safest, them roads can get pretty twisty down thataway , watch for deer!!

14. I dont' want to come across as being too arguementative, but in reference to Flyfish Dog, I have to respectfully and emphatically disagree. You said that you JUST bought the kayak. If it's your first kayak ever, than please don't just hop on any river in Ohio and think that just "using your head" will keep you safe.
    13 feet is alot of kayak to get turned without any kind of experience on how to lean it on it's side, eddy turns, etc....
    I was out yaking three different flows this past weekend and all three of them had freshly planted strainers in the river. If you aren't familiar with strainers and paddling, there aren't many worse things to float up on. If you weren't with a semi-experienced guy and/or had a faster turning boat, all I;m saying is you could get into a whole shatload of trouble on a river around here right now. Most of the water is just coming down and it left alot of big stuff laying around.
    I don't know how much you've tried turning that boat quickly in moving water, but it can be a task until you get down some degree of technique.

And if you head directly east of your location, please check a map for the lowhead dams, which are another feature you'd want to avoid.

15. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

In my defense, I was okay there until my rod got caught in the trees! But seriously, point well taken about the bigger boats with more keel in the swifter waters. Unless some other guy in a 12ft boat got a little too personal with a strainer in this last weekend.

16. Yeah, I wasn't even referring to you, Kevin. But I guess you did take a small detour into some low hanging trees didn't you?
    That wasn't exactly a death strainer, but there was one or two nearby that stretch that could certainly grab a guy if he wasn't on his game.

Well, you know your way around a yak. What you you say to another foot on your yak and more keel right about now in Ohio?

I'd say it would at least take a few flat water trips before you jumped on too many Ohio flows.

17. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

18. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I would strongly agree with Andyman, that long of a boat doesn't turn quick enough to get yourself out of danger, just using your head isn't good enough, experience is. I have just started doing white water this year in my sit on top(and there is some nasty stuff close to columbus) and its close to 12 feet, but it turns rather well for its size, AND most important I only go with guys that are very experienced at WW, and I follow what they say, plus I could only go if I had the required safety gear and clothing. Its amazing what power water has, even our rivers at normal levels you can get into bad situations, and its hard to believe until you get into one for yourself, most of the time you'll get wet and maybe lose some gear, and possibly lose something much greater.

19. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Yeah, I wasn't in real trouble there... aside from spiders and looking like a clown.

As to the length and keel... With this turbulent flow you don't have much time to get out of trouble that is coming at you quicker than it looks. You get a boat like that pointed the wrong way and the river is going to take you someplace you don't want to go.

20. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Got out today on one of our "peaceful" Ohio flows....beautiful day. I just bought a Native Ultimate 12, and it is a sweet ride compared to my 10' SIK. It's nice having two yaks, and I brought my brother along. My brother has a bad back, so I let him use the Ultimate (a canoe/yak hybrid) because it is so comfortable and easy to get in and out of. He has never been in a yak, and I always make him take the front of the canoe;) .

Before we got in, I gave him my nice paddling vest rather than the Kmart vest I bought for legal purposes. He put it on, and I stuffed mine in the back. It was a sweet float on new water, and we were catching our share for several hours. I was eyeballing a split in the river, and about the time I was ready to make my decision I saw I was getting sucked toward a log jam. Rather than fight it, I beached up on a sand bar. My novice brother waited a second too long and got sucked up onto the jam. The water was too swift for him to do anything, so I inched out far enough to grab the back pull toggle and pull him off. Just then the boat started to take water and there was nothing I could do but watch my brother tumble out and go underneath the log jam. I've been wading and floating since I was twelve, and I knew that there was nothing I could do at that point but watch and wait for him to pop up. Well, thank God, he did come up right away because I probably would have been stupid enough to eventually go and root around for him if it took more than a few seconds.

Take it for what it's worth...I just thought it was worth tacking on to this thread. The yak was swamped and he lost a rod and reel, but that was all.