Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finely retired 1 of my favorite rod/reel combo's. The reel sounded like 1 of those old egg beaters and felt like it was full of sand when cranking the line in. The eyes had grooves in them, after 30 excellent years of service. Needed another gp rod/reel to replace it and ended up getting a diawa procyon 6'6" medium fast rod and paired it with a diawa rg-2500 reel.

Decided to head to pymi with the kayak to see how the new setup would do. Put in at the small beach to the north of the causeway on the Ohio side and paddled out just past the bridge and started drifting +/- 50yds from the causeway. Used a fire orange worm harness and bottom bounced.

Was only out for 2 hours but I did manage to put 4 cats on the stringer.

Lost 1 trying to get it in the kayak and all hits produced fish. Only was out for a a little over 2 hours but what a blast!!!! This is the 2nd time I've been out in a kayak at pymi for catfish and I'm looking forward to coming back again.

The new rod reel combo did extremely well, light weight and a good balance. The sensitivity was impressive which is what I was looking for in this rod. Catfishing at pymi is not only fun & the catfish down right tasty. I'm learning the new rod/reel combo for steelhead fishing this fall in the kayak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure twice a year since 1990.

Always cleaned and lubed them twice a year and if something happened they got cleaned/lubed before the next use.

Not top of the line by any means today but it was a pretty good setup back in the day. A berkly power pool and a shimino reel, couldn't even begin to count how many 1000's of fish I caught over the years. Their was a point in my life when I quit fishing, just plain burned out. I knew this setup was bad back then just didn't matter. Picked up fishing again and took out what I knew testing new boats/kayaks/equipment to learn how to use them. Then I changed the rod/reel.

On a side note:
I get kayak's aren't popular with boater. I grew up at age 3 on lake erie in 1962 perching on a 19ft lyman till 1970. Owning 12', 14', 19', 25', 28' boats in ohio and 19' boats in florida. 10+ boats later and a 14' boat still in the yard. While boats have their place, it's a heck of a lot more interesting fishing in a kayak at times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts