Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any first hand experience? I took the dog to the vet yesterday and they ran some tests. Turns out his blood sugar is 725 and it's supposed to be 125. He is on his way to the hospital now to be treated over night. I am stuck at work and there is nothing I can do about it. I have been doing some research online. I am scared to say the least.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I have a 180# Great Dane with k9 diabetes. One day, he was fine at his 5 o'clock feeding. Four hours later, he was whimpering and running into the furniture. I looked into his eyes, and new he was blind. The next morning I was at the vet when they opened up. After some tests, it was found out that he had severe diabetes and hypo thyroid. I have to give him two injections of insulin a day, and he is on a special diet, which I have to sprinkle a teaspoon of powdered fiber on. He's become quite an 'attachment' dog since going blind. He always has to follow me around and likes to sit close enough to be touching me when I'm watching tv. Wal Mart has the insulin and syringes at a very fair price compared to other places.

Make sure you find a vet that knows about k9 diabetes well. I went through three vets before I found one that I felt knew what he was talking about. Two others just wanted to keep running highly expensive tests, and I felt they weren't helping him in any way.

K9 diabetes is very common. It's a little tough to get used to at the beginning with the few added responsibilities, but it becomes part of your daily routine. Everyone's dog is different, so take the horror stories you read online (I spent days reading about it on line when I first discovered my dog had it), with a grain of salt. Find a competent vet, and follow his instructions.

Please pm me and let me know how your dog is doing when you find out more.

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely do that. He got dropped off at 230 and his sugar was 738. As of now I don't think he has any vision difficulties but I am not sure. I just know his mobility is suffering right now. I am headed to vet a little bit late.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Bonerusher-

My wife had a miniature poodle that was diagnosed with K9 diabetes when she was 10 years old. We treated her with a K9 insulin called "Vetsulin." We lost her when she was 18 years old. She (as well as we) got into the routine of two injections each day. She actually looked forward to her injections as she got a dog biscuit before her shot.

Try not to get to worried about the diagnosis, your dog most likely can be succesfully treated and live a mostly normal life. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Same thing with my black lab last summer. She was at 900. I give her 27 units twice a day & she's doing great. Walmart has the cheapest insulin & needles that I've found.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hey het and others,
Just a heads up. My wife has a cat that had been with her since college who is diabetic. She goes to Walmart twice a year to get lantus insulin.
The cost is usually around 100 for the vial.
To her shock this past Wednesday she went to refill the cats prescription. When ringing out she comes to find out that the price has now been raised to 180 bucks. Yes, 180! When she asked why, the pharmacist said the government is forcing up the prices in order to make people without insurance to buy the government insurance. Even though the prescription is written by a vet for an animal as it clearly states feline on box there is no exemption. Crazy!!
This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends!
Call and verify the price at your wal mart. Ours is the Avon, Ohio location

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We paid 24 as well. This has been an experience my neighbors looked at me crazy this morning and I pretty sure none of them will be over for dinner any time soon. They were all out at the bus stop when I took the dog out this morning. We have to collect his urine and dip these test strips in it. At the vets reccomendation we are using a long handled ladle. The looks were priceless. So far so good. It seems like he is feeling much better now.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
That's good news for you guys. We need the lantus which is different from the n which is obviously less money than the lantus

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts