just tied my 2nd pheasent tail!

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Fishaholic69, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

this fly tying is the best! when you can't fish you can tie!!! I made this pheasent tail today along with a couple wet flies. I think it could be my best fly yet. looks pretty real! what ya think? heres those wets too.

Attached Files:

2. Nice job on the flies. You've really to it like a fish to water (pun intended).
    I agree that one of the best parts of tying is it gives you something to do while the rivers are unfishable, second only to the feeling of a fish taking a fly you've tied!

3. Fishaholic69

I can't wait to try um out! hopefully I will find out that feeling soon enough!!! I will be going in a few days. let ya know how it all gos down. oh and I will make some more flies. I tried a wooley bugger last night but it only turned out ok.

4. Fishaholic69

caught 8 creek chubs today with the pheasent tail. almost had something bigger. it jumped about a foot in the air after it! but then it came off the hook!!! oh well at least I caught something with it.

5. Utard

Utard

Tie up a ton of these little babies. The PTN is unstoppable and downright surprising. Been fishing em almost every outting for the past 3-4 years no matter when or where and they almost always catch fish. I was out on Allum Creek last Thursday and had a MONSTER hit on the ptn I was trailing behing my humpy. I was fishing for crappie and BG's and something hit it so hard that I about had a heart attack. Unfortunately it was on 6x tippet and after two hard head shakes the knot snapped. In my daze of excitement I quickly tied on another and two casts later, the same thing happened! DUH! Idiot, if it broke the 6x before, it'll break it again! Ended up with a great day of fishing, a TR and pics to come soon.

Nice ties. One thing that really makes a great looking PTN is using the herl that is closer to the eye of the peacock feather. The barbules are longer and it takes less to make a beefy looking thorax. :D

6. Fishaholic69

ya I got a peacock eye. I am gonna use some of the stuff around it to make the nymph this time. will take a pic when i am done. only thing that messed up from my nymph was the copper whire on the body came off at the tail end after all the fish bit it all day. oh well i will make another! whatever you caught must of been huge! never had nothing break my leaders but I use 3 or 4x leaders usually

7. Fishaholic69

heres the one i made today using the peacock herl around the eye.

Attached Files:

8. dont forget those prince nymphs

9. Let me profess those are great flies, and they will catch fish! Now a little critique. Start your tail fibers at the bend of the hook. This will give you a bigger body. Are you addin ga wing case or just wings? Have you been turning over rocks and looking at the bugs your are creating? Congrats your not crowding the eye. The herel looks great too!

10. Fishaholic69

i can make princes but the heads would be silver. is that ok? most i have bought already are gold. i need to get me some gold bead heads. also I do add a wing case of pheasent tail over the peacock. you can't see it on the pix. i try to make the body as far down as possible but now I see where you mean the tails not all the way down.. I will make it even farther next time. I actually got the tail straight at least and used only 5 or so fibers.. I make 2 wraps and pull up and adjust my tail and other fibers when they go on the side. seems to help to add a couple wraps before you try to straighten it. I try to take my time now. actually I drank about 7 beers when I made that pheasent tail so its not that bad I guess haha. got a couple bites on it today but nothing bit much except gills on a top water dry fly next I need to learn how to tie the drys! :eek: