close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

just started bow hunting help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bowhunter9017, Jul 28, 2007.

1. can anyone one tell me when the best time to start bow hunting is i just got one last year for xmas

2. practice often!!! and start on OPENING DAY!!!!!:! :!

3. Like wave said practice, practice, practice!

I would rather hunt early in the season than in the rut! I like the first week or so the best, the deer are still on their summer patterns.

4. if you are new to bowhunting, start now! If you have someplace to hunt, go out after groundhogs! Shoot some 3-D events. Both can be alot of fun. The in field experience is very valuable. Practice is very important. Learn what your capabilities are. Become familiar with your equipment. Find out how to tune your bow. Practice with the same broadheads you will use in the field. If you can, meet with other experienced bowhunters, you can learn alot. Good luck and good huntin!

5. ty for the help guys but i was told to wait until after the first couple frost so it will kill the tics on them

6. well thats a judgement call...i personally suffer separation anxiety:p (seperated from the woods):eek: :) and get out on opening day if possible!!!!:D

7. Ive never heard of waiting for the ticks to die off. I've never killed a deer in early season but I'm not gonna let a tick stop me. I just havn't had an early season oppertunity yet. Opening day this year is on my b-day so I'm hoping for an early season gift.

I'm with the rest of the guys, practice, practice, practice and hunt every chance you get and don't miss the first couple weeks of November for shure!!

8. hey i hope the bow i got and the relase works good

9. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

What are you shooting? Like everyone else said, get out there and practice. Isn't there a archery club in your town? I would look into joining that, you can get a ton of info and tips from the guys that are members there. I just got some info about a shoot there next month that I plan on attending.:D

10. i have a storm f-26 and my release is a fireball that was $100 and i have viper sights

11. have you shot it at all??? you haven't said...go to wally world and get a cube...try different angles,10-30yard shots,etc. dont bother with 40+yards unless you are superman!!!:D

12. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

im with everyone else.... you gotta hunt opening day. i usually don't do too much early season bowhunting b/c it seems every early season trip i get carried out of the woods by mosquitoes. they're what i'd worry about before frost, not ticks.

13. Shot my biggest bow kill ever on Oct. 1st last year.If you do some late summer scouting the early season can be the best season!

14. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

If you haven't shot it yet, you might not be ready by the opener. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if you are just starting out, you got no business shooting at an animal. Archery hunting takes patients and accuracy(and luck!) to be successful. Get a target and wear that thing out. Start at 10 yards, spend some time there until you are comfortable shooting at that distance, then move back to 15 and do the same thing and so on. Don't worry about 30 and 40 yards, that will come later when you get used to shorter distances.!% :D

15. With enough practice you can hit that tick on the deer and kill two birds(well one tick and one deer) with one shot! I like early season myself but then again I like it all. More time in the field will make you better just keep practicing like has been said.

16. yes i have shot it wave sorry i didnt say i have went through 4 arrows by shafting them all at 20 yards

17. thanks for the help everyone hey is there anyone that lives around new carlisle ohio