close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just Sharing a Story...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, May 19, 2005.

1. A couple weeks ago, My son Nick's teacher called my wife up to the school to ask her a question. Seems his class, first graders, had a writing assignment. They were supposed to write a fan letter to someone they look up to. The kids in his class wrote letters to sports stars, movie stars, musicians, all folks that you would think a first grader would think were "cool". Not my son.

He wrote his fan letter to Bill Dance. He asked him in his letter what his favorite buzzbait was and what other lures he liked to use. He also told him that if he'd like to see pictures of his fish he's caught, come here to OGF and take a look.

The teacher called my wife in because she had never heard of Bill Dance and that this was the first time EVER any student of hers had written a fan letter to a fisherman.

We've watched his show for years and I guess it really has made an impression on him. Especially the crappie segments. He does always ask if we can go bass fishing where Bill Dance goes too. LOL.

Just thought I'd share how absolutely crazy my son is about fishing. I don't know where he gets it from....LOL.

2. That's a chip off the old block. Maybe he'll go into the business.

3. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

well the apples don't fall far from the tree. :D thank for sharing

4. That is a cool story. Let us know if you hear anything back from Bill.

My youngest son is in kindergarten and last year in pre-school they had show and tell days that each kid took turns. Well my boy decided that he wanted me to bring in my fishing gear along with the pike that I have mounted at home. So I had to show up at school one afternoon with the tackle box and mount.:p It was pretty cool as he absolutely loves the fishing as well.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

he's been bitten,for sure,thanks to his dad.that's cool.
    reminds me of myself when i was in school.most essays or other such things i had to do,usually were fishing,hunting related,cause that's all i was interested in(aside from the occasionl girl) :D

6. GREAT STORY...
    My 10 year old son and daughter (twins) both took in to school show and tell some of my turkey hunting calls, beards spurs and fans... I got a little note from the teacher how well versed they were LOL

7. bassman_sw

bassman_sw Always lookin for a bigun

That is a great story. It reminds me a lot of myself when I was in school not so long ago. I always used to do my writing assignments on hunting and fishing. I was going through a bunch of my old papers not too long ago and found a couple of these things. I guess I could tell a pretty good fish story then....imagine what I can come up with now!!! We, all sportsmen, need to get more children involved in hunting and fishing, and ethically so. I see so many kids who don't know ethical hunting and fishing and this is a shame. These kids need to teachers like the folks who are on here. I have been so pleased with the ethical fishing that most OGF members enjoy, it is a real brightspot after coming in from the lake where you see people killing fish unnecessarily and hurting all of us. :)

Steve

8. catking

catking Banned

Very nice story Carl.... Gives us all hope about the future knowing kids like Nick are still being raised... No kidding........ And Bill Dance is one of the good guys for sure..... CATKING :)

9. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Great to hear that Carl. Would rather hear about a fisherman as an Idol than a "Look at Me I'm Important" Ball player that couldn't READ what Nick wrote!!!

10. Great story. Has he heard back from Bill Dance?

11. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Great story Carl. Reminds of me when I was a little boy. I used to watch Castwaway Coolis all the time. I think he was a local guy out of Erie or something.

12. He is from Bedford and has a freeze dry taxidermy shop there too...

13. Yes. He sent me an email with an address of where to send the letter. He also said he's going to send an autographed picture to him. He's going to flip when he gets it. LOL

14. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Thats an AWESOME story Carl! Way to go man!!

Good to hear your son getting interested in something like this at his age.

:)

15. Be sure to let us know how he reacts when he gets the pic. Try to have the camera ready when he opens it, that will be great!

16. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'll be looking for his question to come up on the show... good going carl!.. :)

17. bassman_sw

bassman_sw Always lookin for a bigun

Crankus,

I used to love watching Kastaway Koolis. My Dad and I would watch him every Saturday morning. I was so excited to meet him up at the IX Center at the sports show as a kid and to get his autograph....I think I still have it somewhere.

Carl,

That is awesome...makes you feel good to know that there are good guys such as Dance out there!!

Steve

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

haha thats cute :)

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Great story Carl!..I bet you are proud of him!

20. that is so cool...........im goin to wake up my 2year old son and show him the way its done :rolleyes: