close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

just saw the strangest thing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by esoxhunter, Aug 11, 2005.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

I was just standing outside my apartment building and about 15' in front of me walked a :S that went under someone's car. Weird enough to see a skunk in an apartment complex, but this one appeard to be mostly white with a black stripe :confused:
    This was no cat! it was definitely a skunk, but I've never seen one with its colors reversed. Wish I had the camera with me. Perhaps there is an extra additive in my Coors Light. NEVER seen anything like it....especially in an apartment complex parking lot.
    I'm not walking back out there with the camera. :eek:

2. They Live Under Buildings An Such Also..we Had A Trailor Once That A Skunk Lived Under....

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Not really rare at all. 2 years ago I counted 7 in the fall. Supposed to mean a bad winter will be coming in "blank" amount of years when you see them. The reverse coloring is natures way of saving the skunks butt when the snow gets deep.

4. seen one of them in mid march up on catawba still had winter fur cause it was a fur ball and it was a skunk not a cat kinda cute actually well cute from a distance
    ________
    Free Amateur Streaming

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Although not common there are a few out there that are all white and they are not albino's. I have seen 1 around our place that is all white except for a black ear?
    The latin name for the striped skunk is Mephitis mephitis. Mephitis loosley translates to strong odor so I think it is funny that it is named twice.
    Get your camera esoxhunter, they are very docile animals and will only spray you if they feel you are a threat to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

We used to go to the Smoky Mountains for springbreak and camp in Cades Cove every year. The skunks would be all over the campsite and even walk around our feet under our lawnchair and at the picnic table. They were extremely tame and not afraid of humans.

The girls (and some of the guys) were REAL squeemish about them. We would throw twigs at them and they would turn around and raise their tail in the direction of the thrown twig but never sprayed.
    I don't think they are afraid of anything. All they have to do is raise a tail and most things hightail it out of there.

7. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I was sitting in my deer stand last year and I see something white out of the corner of my eye. It walked into the brush only to appear a minute later right under my stand. It was an all white skunk. I considered stickin an arrow in him and having him mounted. I thought twice and opted to let him walk. A bath in tomato juice did not sound appealing at the time. I thought it might be albino, but it did not have pink eyes, so I doubt if it was. Pretty neat animal.