Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
going to try conny or bula area in early september and would like some opinions. does a 6oz straight line followed by a dipsey 1.5 followed by a dipsey 3 setting followed by an inline board with a 3-4 oz weight off each side for an 8 rod setup sound realistic or crazy. i have renoskys wilows spoons reefs etc. im lacking down riggers big boards and leadcore . four dipseys is my max just wondered an easy 6 to 8 rod program. i fish shallow water in the western basin just trying not to look like a fool. thanks

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I'm not so sure about the 6 oz straight line out the back of the boat. I think you could have a problem if you needed to bring a fish in the back and had to get it around that line. You've got a month, build yourself some big boards and if nothing else use some weed whacker string and tie em off to a forward cleat. Some shower curtain rings and rubber bands for your releases and your set. Run the 3-4 oz on the outside and 6 oz on the inside. Other than that, get your self two more in line boards and run four of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
4 dipseys and 4 boards. 3 oz should be enough but 4s would work too. When running dipseys I don't want any lines behind the boat or straight back. Need the "chute" open for reeling in fish and setting lines.

Personally I would run a 1.5-2 and a 3-3.5 Dipsey on each side and 3oz in lines off one side and 4s off the other.

A cheap add on to your program that has been working awesome is the size 3 tadpole from offshore tackle. These behind offshore boards are awesom.

Don't worry about not having big boards. For small boats they just aren't worth the hassle.

·
Nautical Envy
284 Posts
Hey pappascott I've been looking on the offshore website and see they now sell a size three and a magnum of their tadpole weights which they say will reach arround 50 feet at 2 mph but I can not find anywhere to buy them except from their website , do you know anywhere else a guy could pick up some of these new tadpole weights?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I think they are only available on the offshore website for now. Thought I might have seen them at Erie Outfitters but not 100% sure

·
Registered
285 Posts
4 dipseys and 4 boards. 3 oz should be enough but 4s would work too. When running dipseys I don't want any lines behind the boat or straight back. Need the "chute" open for reeling in fish and setting lines.

Personally I would run a 1.5-2 and a 3-3.5 Dipsey on each side and 3oz in lines off one side and 4s off the other.

A cheap add on to your program that has been working awesome is the size 3 tadpole from offshore tackle. These behind offshore boards are awesom.

Don't worry about not having big boards. For small boats they just aren't worth the hassle.

I haven't seen tadpoles in use yet, looking at them I really like the idea that they're resettable without bringing them in.

To be clear, you're able to run a #3 behind a standard offshore inline planer without it pulling the planer under or back behind the boat?

·
Capt Jeff
1,710 Posts
Tuesday I ran tadpoles out of Geneva . Size 3 and magnums . Caught plenty of fish and the offshore boards handled it . 90 back on magnum took a few fish as we experimented . I recommend adding a few to the arsenal

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
DoubleJ, how far in front of the bait are you running the tadpoles? I run inlines weights at 6-8 would that work with these? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I haven't seen tadpoles in use yet, looking at them I really like the idea that they're resettable without bringing them in.

To be clear, you're able to run a #3 behind a standard offshore inline planer without it pulling the planer under or back behind the boat?
Sorry was at the lake for a long weekend.

Yes a reg size offshore tackle planer board will pull the tadpoles. They will lag back more than a 3 oz so if running 2 boards a side u may need to clear the inside board with a small fish on the outside.

They are a little harder to read, due to their diving design, compared to a traditional inline nut the extra depth and reduced vertical swim kicks butt when its rough or the fish are deep like they are now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts