Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted a farm in geagua county today and saw a hen. We found this farm 2 years ago. At that time there were 2 huge groups of turkeys, 50 birds and probably more. That year we doubled up easily, could do no wrong. last year hunted it twice and seen no birds but blamed it on fields being planted in wheat, which might be to tall for there likening. This year it’s hay and fields are beautiful but almost no sign? So what I’m getting at is when we shot the last bird there 2 years ago, the farmer called us to advise us his buddy also shot a bird that day , and it had his fresh planted corn seeds in it , and warned us about the green coating on it. That coating was fungicide they put on that seed when they sell it. At that time I looked it up , but all studies were in Canada. Just a thought, you think that practice is major culprit of the decline of turkeys? Kinda funny my only decent spots anymore are big woods around fields that are never planted?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
While it's possible I doubt that is the cause. Our main farm is usually loaded with turkeys. 6 to 8 toms another 6 or so jakes and enough hens for a whorehouse. This year. Theirs one gobble and 2 jakes there and a few hens. Didn't even have the winter flocks we normally do.

It would be nothing to see 50 to 75 turkeys at once gobblers hens jakes etc.... I think predation is one of the biggest factors. Bobcats are becoming increasingly common. Coyotes are running rampant due to low fur prices. Feral cats will kill the polts just to kill them. Racoons get the eggs.

Basically with no fur value no one is trapping or hunting predators with enough regularity to even put a dent in the predator populations.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be, but it’s wild we’re I’m finding them birds in big woods, it’s loaded with yotes and raccoons

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'm also hunting a farm currently that has a ton of birds and a ton of coyote and racoons sign. I honestly don't think a turkey is smart enough to avoid a certain food like coated corn.

·
Registered
775 Posts
In my opinion one of the problems is the states constant easing of regulations. Afernoon hunting has been expanded several times for both kids & adults, this year it starts the second week of season. Youth season allowing two birds, opening the season on a Saturday, splitting the state into two zones (concentrates hunters on opening & closings more). I also feel that there are a large number of birds killed over bait by bow hunters. I know my opinions will not be popular with some, but selling tags is not always a wise use of a resource.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
In my opinion one of the problems is the states constant easing of regulations. Afernoon hunting has been expanded several times for both kids & adults, this year it starts the second week of season. Youth season allowing two birds, opening the season on a Saturday, splitting the state into two zones (concentrates hunters on opening & closings more). I also feel that there are a large number of birds killed over bait by bow hunters. I know my opinions will not be popular with some, but selling tags is not always a wise use of a resource.
Rumor has it that next season is going to be a 1 bird limit.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I tend to agree with you Mike,as in anything in the wild, survival of the young of the year play's a very large part in huntable or catchable ( walleye,perch) population's.Even a clutch of 10 egg's that successfully hatch mean's nothing until next season if they survive all of the roadblock's for their first year of life,weather,food,predator's and even what part of the state they live in. How's the Buckeye State treating you so far on turkey hunting??

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is a widespread problem, nation wide. Yes the weather has played a part, but it is not the only part. Turkey hunting has taken off with hunters like duck hunting & the pressure is tremendous. I got my first turkey tag on OH in 1966 , the change in pressure in the last few years is huge &bird #’s have fallen steadily.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
This is a widespread problem, nation wide. Yes the weather has played a part, but it is not the only part. Turkey hunting has taken off with hunters like duck hunting & the pressure is tremendous. I got my first turkey tag on OH in 1966 , the change in pressure in the last few years is huge &bird #’s have fallen steadily.
I hunt on 1100 acres that is surrounded by 6000 more that is barely hunted, those # are way down without a doubt, this is over 10 square miles of private managed area. So supposed more hunter theory doesn't apply. We're at any 1 time running about 30 cameras and just not seeing polts like we used to. Not long ago, I would speed hunt and get danger close to a gobbling bird because I knew if I happened to bump him I'd just get on another that was already in ear shot.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
721 Posts
Within the last year where i hunt up here in Geneva the turkey population is way down on our places we hunt and i have thought maybe west nile virus or a parasite of some sort ? I know quite a few years back the west nile killed a lot of hawks and owls .

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Google neonicotinoid and wild turkeys. Neonicotinoid is the name of the fungaside coating on corn seed

·
Registered
597 Posts
I go to Quail Hollow Park just outside Hartville every day to walk and fill the bird feeders. Used to see turkeys more days than not, in the park and in the surrounding fields. Lots of hens and polts in the Spring. Haven't seen a one in over a year. Racoons have pretty much taken the place over. There are so many I think a bounty might be a good idea.

·
Shoot Um' Hook Um'
854 Posts
Last spring i watched 3 hens and 15 poults out back in our housing addition. 9 of poults were larger and 8 of them made it and the 6 smaller poults disappeared. If this can happen in a neighborhood where houses are plenty, imagine how many poults are lost out in the country. I would say we’re lucky to have a 20% survival rate with all the critters raiding nests and killing poults.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Take up predator hunting.Shoot them when you see them.A friend bow hunts and the coyotes walk under his stand and he does not shoot.Sees less deer last 2 years.Go figure.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,531 Posts
Google neonicotinoid and wild turkeys. Neonicotinoid is the name of the fungaside coating on corn seed
Good catch! Neo nicotinoids are banned in Europe, but not here! Guess the farm or pesticide lobby is too strong here. I think the stuff is sprayed around as well. Then you get "drift" and unintended consequences like harm to bees and other pollinating insects.

Within the last year where i hunt up here in Geneva the turkey population is way down on our places we hunt and i have thought maybe west nile virus or a parasite of some sort ? I know quite a few years back the west nile killed a lot of hawks and owls .
I read a study that was done by the Pennsylvania Game Commission that concluded that West Nile was responsible for killing a lot of grouse chicks as well.

Reactions: slashbait
1 - 20 of 54 Posts