close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just a smokin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishers of Men, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

I wanted to do this yesterday, the weather was perfect, but I got tied up. Today started ok trying to beat the weather, then the front caught up, wind changed, rain and such. Slowed the process down, everything worked out until I took the first batches of smaller fillets out and the vultures started eating them right away! There is still 3 trays to take out in a couple more hours. ENJOY.

well here's 16 steelhead, In the brine:

rinsed, spiced and drying to a glaze:

Fire box gettin ready:

checkin 'em out:

some of the finished product:

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

now thats how to do it!! i can only do 8 filets in my little smoker.

3. Fishers of Men

I had plenty of room left ez, just needed frezzer space. And everyones been wantin some.

4. Man those look delicious. Do you want your truck washed, how about your house painted,mow your lawn for the the rest of the summer and shovle your snow all winter. got any bodies laying around,I could did a grave dug out in the woods, :) :)

5. I am on my way to your house I'll just follow the smoke no need for directions

6. Fishers of Men

I vacuum packed some and sent to a friend in Maine once and the post office called him and asked him to hurry and pick it up 'cause it stunk the whole place up. I didn' think it would be so much being vaccuum packed. lol

7. Great pics. That's a heck of a smoker. How long does that whole process take ?

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

9. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

nice settup and looks like youve been hammering the fish!!

makes me damned hungry for some smoked fish!

10. Fishers of Men

Depends on the weather, I try to pick the right day, wind ,low humidity, kind/thickness of meat and such. I started brining this yesterday at 10 am, rinsed/dryed/glazed then started smokin at 1430, pulled the smaller pieces out about 1930 things slowed down after the rain and wind change, last filets came out at 0130. Would have been a lil better time wise on mon when I wanted to.
    It's a cold smoke process the old fashion way. Have to keep the temp down, still be able to maintain fresh smoke rolling otherwise they would be bland from stale smoke. Not really hard, just procedure and different recipes. I was wishing I had some catfish to throw in, there really great!

11. Fishers of Men

Ya, we've been nailin them. I will have more to do after this weekend. Maybe I'll throw some eyes in with the next batch of steelies. If any one has any catfish they want to do, let me know. Just knock the sides off and leave the skin on.

12. Great looking fish! What temp do you smoke them at?

13. Fishers of Men

Depends on the thickness of filets and type of meat. anywhere from 24hrs to 5 days.

14. Fishers of Men

These were done between 80 and 90 degrees. When my ol man used to do it, he had holes in the sides of the smoker and if you could keep your finger in it, you weren't to hot.