close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just a decent late season largemouth...

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CoolWater, Nov 28, 2004.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Saturday evening I headed to cabelas, decided to stop off first at the river raisin... had just a bit of light left and rain started but did manage one decent fish. 15.5" largemouth. I know that's SE Mi., but I know many of you in this forum fish there too. I posted a picture on my site, thumbnail is on my news & reports page...

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Nice bass...can't shake a stick at that this time of year!
    I hope to sneak out tomorrow for a quickie!
    I am setting aside 2 hours, if all goes well, to bass fish.

3. JBJ

JBJ

Good catch CoolWater. I'd settle for a 12"er or two right now. Ended up going to work today on my day off and with the honey-do list, probably won't get a chance to get down to the river tomorrow either.

4. Hey Coolwater,

Were you right off of Rt. 23 in Dundee? I have fished the river raisin many time, but never caught a largemouth. I have caught smallmouth and northern pike there.

Also, a word of caution when fishing this river. The bacteria level (E-coli, I believe) is often high enough to warrant a "No-Contact" warning. The town of Blissfield, MI upstream apparently doesn't have to follow proper sewage treatment/disposal practices.

Dave H.

5. CoolWater

yea just right there by rt 23... i've fished there for years and love the mixed bag of fish you can catch. there really isnt much fishing pressure, largely due to what you mentioned about the bacteria- so none of the catch and keep (eat) fisherman are there. i hafta agree that i wasnt expecting a largemouth as ive only seen one other taken there- but the other one i saw caught a few years back was ENORMOUS.... this guy was trying desperately to bring it in so i ran over with my net and nabbed it for him- never seen a bass that large in my life, he kept it for the wall and i cant say that i blame him. for the most part i catch smallies and northerns too, some rock bass, suckers, channel cats, and i got a real nice walleye there once... fun place to fish...

6. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Hit a private pond in wood county on Sunday. We were fishing for a little crappie dinner. When to our surprise, managed two largemouth in our estimates to be in the 5lb range. All we got were measurements 22" long 18" girth. To my surprise, I landed 2 of these hogs, and we still managed a stringer full of crappies. We were fishing with golden shiners under a bobber. Both bass came close to shore. What a thrill! The first one got tangled in the cover we were fishing, but we still landed him. The second ran right into deep water as soon as I set the hook. An excellent fight for this time of year. The 2 fished looked identical, so it could of been the same bass. We hoped not, just because it would be nice if there were a good population of these hogs. I would have pulled these fish, but I'd rather catch them another day. THE DRY SPELL IS OFFICIALLY OVER

7. CoolWater

Always nice to upgrade the best catch for a species, sounds like you had a great day fishing!

8. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Thanks coolwater, it is a great feeling. Next time I'll have a pic to share.