close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Juniata River, PA

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by wader, Jul 3, 2007.

1. wader

wader Fishing Fool

I will be heading to Huntingdon, PA for work for the next few weeks. Just wanted to see if anyone has fished the Juniata river around here. Also does anyone have any experience with the trout streams out that way?

2. The "J," as it known, can be a great river to fish depending on the weather and water temps. Many sections are privately owned and/or have special designations from the fish and boat commission. At the same time your talking about a river that is appx 90 miles long, it begins in south central/south western PA at Huntingdon (actually it begins in a small town outside of Huntingdon called Ardenheim) and runs into the Susquehanna River North of Harrisburg. This time of year, because of the hot summer, your better off fishing some of the tribs, like the Raystown branch and the Little "J." If your flyfishing for trout, your best bet is to get a copy of the latest edition of Charles Meck's book "Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania" He does a nice job of breaking down the hatches by time of year and by river, the book will also show you other promising places to fish in the area. You will be in Central PA, this is some of the most scenic water in the East along with some of the best fly fishing for trout.

Good Luck,

FWF

3. wader

wader Fishing Fool

I am not much of a fly fisherman, but it looks like I may have to start. I do most of my trout fishing on the Mad river, and have never casted a fly. I mostly use panther martins and floating rapalas. I plan on exploring as much of the water as I can out there, I've heard there is some good trout fishing out there. Thanks for the input FWF!

4. My father lives in McVeytown and I usually fish the stretches around Mt. Union and Newton. There is a pulloff right on US 522 and another pulloff on RT 103 for wading and a boat ramp in the town of Newton also on 103. I don't know much about spots around Huntington but you will see some signs outside of town that will lead you back to Raystown. I was there 2 weeks ago and the water was really low but clear. I have the best luck with silver, black or white rooster tails in swift current around rocks and Rapala super shad raps in the deeper pools. Of course the rebel craw works also. If you've never fished in PA you might want to carefully read through the BOOK that comes with your license. Their regulations are 10 times more complicated than ours. Hope this info helps and Good Luck!

5. wader

wader Fishing Fool

This info is great!! Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to respond, and to include some good details.

6. i use this guide service once a year and they fish the Juniata. tons of good info on the website. good luck.