close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

July Pike Trip

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by howdog, Jun 24, 2007.

1. howdog

howdog Overrated since 80'

Resident Northern Pike fisherman,

I am taking a trip up to Minnesota with a buddy here in about 2 weeks. Other than what I read on this board, and out on the WWW I know little about the species. From what I've read they are super aggressive in the spring, but I haven't found much about their summer habits....The lakes are probably super weedy in July..How does presentation change? I am placing an order off of cabela's here probably tonite..Does anyone have a favorite, or must have lure? Big Spinnerbaits? Dardevles? Williams Wablers? Sluggos? I would appreciate any comments or advice that you would like to share. I hope to have some awesome pics to share when the trip is over.

2. I'm going on a pike trip in early july also. But the est lures are Williams wobblers and spinnerbaits with more then one blade. We have alot of luck with Terminators. Pike love those weeds. Cast right into the weed edge. thats where I find alot of them hiding. Don't forget your steel leaders! those teeth will cut right through the line.

3. hazmat247

hazmat247 Fishin' Fool

I go to southern Ontario every first week of July. I have caught pike on tubes, grubs, crankbaits, many types of spinners, and the most productive is a jointed Rapala #9 or #11. Spoons have worked for me in Michigan, but not at this lake. Good Luck

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I go up north every July/early August for an annual pike trip... my must have lure is big spinnerbaits... i like the skirts in light colors, whites yellows chartruese - two willow shaped blades (usually like them in gold finish)... thats my first choice where I fish. I like using daredevles but they tend to get caught in the 'salad' more. Once again, for where I fish, thats what I've had success with.

5. howdog

Thanks guys..I will pick up a little bit of each....It seems like weedless is probably the way to go huh? When you are talking about big spinner baits are you talking > 1 oz? Do you normally run a trailer? I like fishing rapala's and HJ's...Gonna pick up some 30lb spiderwire and some steel leaders...Which method is preferred then? Trolling or Casting? Thanks for all of the info..Should make the trip much more productive..

6. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Good luck Howdog...big pike start to move out of the shallows and stage up on deeper weed edges close to deep water. If water temps are too warm, they will drop down into the abyss and are much harder to get to. You will always find small and medium size pike up in and near weed edges, especially if deep water is close by. Remember to fish slower and deeper if water temps dictate. Also ask around the local area for tips from locals...I would think they would know best.

Love those toothy critters!!

7. Skeem

Skeem Killing Threads Since 06'

Unless you got lost between Toledo and Medina yesterday you should be home. So, where are the pics and the story of the "one" that got away??

8. howdog

Had a blast up there..Cabela's Weedless 5 of diamonds took the brunt of their anger..No hawgs though. Biggest fish went a tick over 26 inches. We caught around 50, probably kept about 25 of them...Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Files:

9. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Howdog...being a pike fanatic, I am curious how and where in your waters you caught them...slow or fast retrieve, trolling, am. / pm., all day, thick weeds, sparse weeds, edges, rocky points, mid lake humps, etc...if you can, post more details about your methods. Thanks.

BTW, nice job on some good catches...I think they are one of the best eatin' fresh water fish going...hope you enjoyed your bounty!

10. howdog

Fugarwi,

Most fish were caught casting into weedlines. The lake we fished was pretty shallow with only a few spots going over 10 feet. Bigger fish were caught in the morning as well as the evening. Trolling produced plenty of strikes, but not very many fish. The ones that were landed trolling were generally snakes. Everything was fast. Trolling and Retrieves. A majority of the strikes while trolling came during engine sputters! I would say the AM produced the biggest fish, casting the cabela's weedless 5 into the far edge of a weedbed, and bringing it back to the dock. Fish actually got off while we were landing it. The water was warm upper 70's. I have heard of 12 - 16lber's being pulled from there, but we didn't see to many big fish (see water temp). It was all fast though, the lake had a clay bottom, so the water looked like iced tea, and subsequently brighter colors seemed to produce better than darker ones. Cabela's Rainbow Trout spoon was also popular. I had several nice strikes trolling Pink Clown HJ's, and the lure shows it! I definately want to get out earlier in the season now to go after some of these fish..Bass fishing just doesn't seem to compare now..