Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Float Tubing Fanatic
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit Devol's Dam for a couple of hours in the afternoon this Tuesday. I've really struggled in the river for about the past month, getting skunked twice and catching only 1 small dink bass two other times. Same story this time. I lost one small fish, probably smallmouth, with nothing else for a while. Then, finally, I had a hit and a good fish, a very nice sized drum. I like fighting drum but it can be troublesome getting the hook out because you can't really lip a drum or get a good hold on them since they're so tall. I figured it'd be easiest if I got it onto shore (I was wading), so still fighting the fish, I walked carefully the nearest dry land, which was the island that's downstream from the dam. I tried once to get a hand under the fish, maybe to cradle it, but that didn't work. Then the drum was on its side and I tried to see if maybe I could get around the lure (an original floating Rapala) and lip it or get a hold near the gills. That was when the fish decided to flop extra hard. It happened so fast I didn't really see it happen but in a split second, I went from having hooked a fish to hooking myself.

One hook of the treble hook went through the cuff of my long sleeve shirt into my right wrist. I inspected it and immediately saw the hook was in my flesh past the barb. Even worse, the end of the hook was still under the skin. I knew I was in trouble. I carefully tried to pull it once but quickly decided that definitely was not going to work. So I cut the line, walked back to shore, collected my tackle box, and walked back up the road to my car. Making a longish story medium short, there is a friend of the family who lives about a minute away from my house and works at Marietta Memorial as a physician's assistant. She came over, looked at my situation, called a doctor she knows, and went with me to the hospital. They gave me a local anesthetic and after several minutes of working the hook around, first jabbing it through the skin, then tearing off the barb and point, and finally yanking it back out, I was free.

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
That happened to Me last year while wading the Hocking River ,Caught a nice LM Bass and when I went to lip it , it slipped out of my hand, had to walk a mile back to my truck with the lure still attached.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Ouch that doesnt sound like fun at all, luckily you had help close by, I have had one or two fish flip and almost get me..luckily they were dinks and I could get them under control quickly.

·
Float Tubing Fanatic
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually surprised by how little it hurt - as long as I didn't touch it. I considered just leaving the lure in and wearing it as a body piercing. Who knows, I could've started a new fad (imagine using a jig for a nose piece and Husky Jerks for earrings).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My lure story. A friend and I drove 2 hours to a favorite small stream of our childhood in southeast ohio.

The friend is in an engineer in the army and is one of those poor guys who is out during the dark morning hours checking out suspected road side bombs before the morning traffic hits around Baghdad.

Very first 15 yards of the wade he hooks a rock bass and buries a micro lure treble in his index finger.

At the truck I got out the alchohol prep pads and pliers and he turned ghost white and said nope, won't let you do it. We drove all the way back home, while I watched him wiggle, pull, prod and wiggle that hook some more. By the time we got back his finger was swollen 3x's the size from 2 hours of picking at it.

His mom saw the size of the tiny 1/16 oz treble hooks, took my pliers and pulled the hooks out before this army guy could scream mommy.

She dumped some iodine on it and said that better be the only purple heart you get buddy.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My lure story. A friend and I drove 2 hours to a favorite small stream of our childhood in southeast ohio.

The friend is in an engineer in the army and is one of those poor guys who is out during the dark morning hours checking out suspected road side bombs before the morning traffic hits around Baghdad.

Very first 15 yards of the wade he hooks a rock bass and buries a micro lure treble in his index finger.

At the truck I got out the alchohol prep pads and pliers and he turned ghost white and said nope, won't let you do it. We drove all the way back home, while I watched him wiggle, pull, prod and wiggle that hook some more. By the time we got back his finger was swollen 3x's the size from 2 hours of picking at it.

His mom saw the size of the tiny 1/16 oz treble hooks, took my pliers and pulled the hooks out before this army guy could scream mommy.

She dumped some iodine on it and said that better be the only purple heart you get buddy.
Thats to funny:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts