Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont forget the next SouthWest Ohio Catfish Club "OPEN" tourney, will be Saturday night, July 25th, from 5:00 PM to 12:00 Midnight at Eastwood Lake in Dayton. The lake is 185 acres and has lots of channels of all sizes and some real nice flatties if you can find them. They should be in post spawn feeding mode!!

The lake can handle any size boat, has real nice ramps and any size motor is allowed BUT......since we are fishing on a "odd" numbered day, the lake is Idle speed only... Take you about 15 minutes from 1 end to the other so shouldnt be any problem.

Overview is this is an open event, Boat fishing only,$30 per boat includes big fish and 4 fish limit over 14"
For all club rules or more info, check out www.swocatfishclub.com

Any questions?? drop me a note!-PM

[email protected]
Mark Blauvelt
Official "Fish Hugger" and
President - SWOCC

For a link to directions and park map,
http://www.metroparks.org/Parks/Eastwood/Home.aspx

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Just an FYI so you know. I think there is a bass tourny there that same night so the lake will be crowded. Be carefull. . . . .

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, we moved our date so there 'wouldnt' be a bass tourny that same night??? ( was originally scheduled on same date at the electric bass group) Do you know which group it is? Ill make some calls and give someone some grief over that. Thanks for the heads up.
Salmonid

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
Yea its the Electrick Bass Circut. They have 2 night tournys a year usually out there. I was in the last one on the 11th and I see on their Site they have another one (A point tourny and the point tourny usually bring in more boats) on the 25th.

http://www.electric-bass.org/TournamentSchedule.htm

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
lol.

I can sense the smoke coming from Mark's ears right now. :) I know he went out of hsi way for the conflict NOT to happen.

·
Love To Fish
162 Posts
Electric Bass Circuit obtained a Metro Parks permit for the July 25, night Tournament, many months ago. The tournament has been posted on our Tournament Schedule, since March.

Due to the small size of Eastwood Lake, I'm surprised Metro Parks would issue permits for two tournaments, starting on the same day, and time.

Since the EBC tournament is a points tournament, we expect around twenty boats, or more.

Good luck to the catfish anglers, hopefully the tournaments will be smooth, and go off without a hitch.

Tight lines,
Tom Patrick

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
I'm pretty sure swocc's tourney schedule has been out since February. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Fishin Everyday
608 Posts
I vote to move the tourney to the GMR...its been on fire lately.

Last 2 trips for me were 12 fish and 16fish. Big fish being 11lb and 2- 9lbers. :)

·
Love To Fish
162 Posts
I'm pretty sure swocc's tourney schedule has been out since February. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
We wait until we receive all necessary permits prior to posting a finalized schedule, plus it's impossible to know the schedule of every fishing club in Ohio, there are literally hundreds of them.

We have fished two night tournaments at Eastwood, in July, since 2002.

I'm sorry our scheduled conflicts with swocc's, but we will just have to make the best of it.

Tight lines,
Tom Patrick

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom, Thanks for the reply, we will make it work as I am not expecting more then a handful of boats but when I scheduled back in the early part of the year, ( Feb Im thinking) I gave him a date of the July 11th and all was fine and he was to confirm our date was fine then, but when I hadnt heard back from him for a few weeks I checked in and he said, oh yeah, thats the exact same date as the Electric guys are on the water ( same exact time as well) so I said, I would move our date so we wouldnt have a conflict and he suggested the 25th so we took it, thats the last I heard. Sounds like a typical SNAFU over there, I have some friends that work for 5 rivers so it sounds like a normal day over there. I am hoping your group will show us cat guys how to catch some fish.........;) Looking forward to meeting you!

Salmonid

·
Love To Fish
162 Posts
Tom, Thanks for the reply, we will make it work as I am not expecting more then a handful of boats but when I scheduled back in the early part of the year, ( Feb Im thinking) I gave him a date of the July 11th and all was fine and he was to confirm our date was fine then, but when I hadnt heard back from him for a few weeks I checked in and he said, oh yeah, thats the exact same date as the Electric guys are on the water ( same exact time as well) so I said, I would move our date so we wouldnt have a conflict and he suggested the 25th so we took it, thats the last I heard. Sounds like a typical SNAFU over there, I have some friends that work for 5 rivers so it sounds like a normal day over there. I am hoping your group will show us cat guys how to catch some fish.........;) Looking forward to meeting you!

Salmonid
Mark, thanks for being a level-headed, understanding person!

Eastwood has a lot of cats. Your group should do well if they can get past the dink channel cats, the lake is loaded with them.

See you Saturday.

Tight lines,
Tom Patrick

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
What bait/lures do you recommend for catching catfish?
Can you fish them from the bank?

Thanks!
You probably want to put that question in the "Catfish Forum" down a little lower on the main page.

Bait would be shad probably being the best bait for them. You can catch them from shore or boat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How big is the lake and is anyone allowed to enter the tourny? Also is their a minimum size limit on the boat you can use?

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
How big is the lake and is anyone allowed to enter the tourny? Also is their a minimum size limit on the boat you can use?
The lake is 185 acres. Anyone can fish it and any size/kind of boat will work just fine. It is a great group of guys that fish it, we are all in it to have fun, so it is a good time. You should come out. IF you have any questions feel free to PM me or Salmonid.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the lake has some rules as far as horsepower goes, on Even numbered days (Ie. July 2nd,4th,6th,8th,) it is unlimited horsepower and can handle any size boat. But on "Odd" nmbered days like the tourny date ( July 25th) any size boat and motor can be used but only at "Idle" or trolling speeds.
I is a 5 Rivers Metro Park rule to allow PWC and sail boats equal opportunities at this urban lake. It works out pretty well. Minimal Power Loading is ok for trailering.

Salmonid

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
One would think that gulfvet...however that was not the case. Only 2 boats showed for the SWOCC tourney and the catfishing stunk!! I did see a few nice bass pulled by the electric guys. Anyone have the results on that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts