close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Juggin' last night

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Catmandoodoo, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Had a blast catching channels on jugs last night at clendening. Ended up with 15 nice channels, in the 4-10lb range. Caught them all on live shad. Should give me enough for a good fish fry this weekend, yum yum!

2. catking

catking Banned

Yum Yum for sure. Don't forget the hush puppies..........Welcome to the OGF . CATKING.............

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:T ????
    fishman,if you don't know that as fact,then why say it?if you only posted that,based on your own beliefs,then in my opinion,you should not bother replying.if you do know,then please enlighten me in a pm.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Just had a brainstorm, I wonder if you put a little chum for scent in the jugs and a small hole to let it leak out. It would still float with the hole in the bottom the air wouldn't escape. I want to try it sometime, I'd do C&R with circle hooks, but that's my option. I just think it would be fun tracking those jugs and watching them all of the sudden start bobbing. Of course I don't think I'd want to tackle a big musky on one....
    The regs say you must keep them under watch the whole time, that would be boring I guess. :confused:

6. Never thought about the chum in the jug, i bet that would work pretty good. I have heard that chicken blood works great for chum, dont know where you would get a few gallons of chicken blood though. It is pretty fun but I have not done it for a long time. I dont know if you would need the circle hooks or not, I have never used them but have never had a catfish swallow a hook from a jug or a trotline.

7. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Catmandoodoo (and others),
    Exactly how do you set up your jug rigs? How long is the line for the depth of water? Do you add weight? I'm going to try a little juggin this summer. I figger I'll use those heavy plastic detergent bottles, leftover braided tipup line, mono leaders, and circle hooks. I'll probably use live sunfish for bait.

8. I have done it for a long time but from what I remember we always had gallon clorox bleach jugs and tied the line on the handle. I dont think you really need jugs that big but it was just what we had. The clorox are more coned shaped than milk jugs so I think they worked a little better so the fish could pull them down a little and not pull so hard on the hook and line and possibly get off. We used the same line we used for dropper lines on our trot lines, dont know what pound test or anything but it was some type of braided line, we didnt use any mono leader or anything just tied the hook right to the line. For hooks I think they were maybe 5/0 or 6/0. We had maybe 10 feet of lind on each jug and then tie off how ever deep you wanted it. We would sein up bait and use chubs, shinners, sunfish, crawdads, nightcrawlers, hot dogs heck just about anything seemed to work. It was always a good time, I hope to try it again this summer.

9. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I have been Juggin a few times with good success. We use the Clear Milk Jugs & put in a Green Light Stick, So we can see any action right away at nite. We use Braided line, We set it them all at different lengths to target any fish in the area, We use live fish or Cut bait with a 6/0 Circle hook. I wont set Limb lines as it too hard on my back. But Juggin is easy, Fun & a Great time all together. We use a 1/2 ounce slip weight to keep the Live bait down near where we want it. Good Luck Everyone ;)

10. Good idea with the light sticks! I will have to try that.

11. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

You can use the Small 3 inch ones or the big 5-6 inch Light sticks, They make the Clear Jug Glow on the water. Makes it real easy to see movement on them, Plus they last almost all nite too. I hope it works as good for you as it has for me. Ill be Jugging this weekend, At least I hope to go this weekend. My Back is so messed up its hard to Plan a time to go. Good luck, you wont be dissappointed with the Nite sticks & clear jug. ;)

12. Ive never jugged myself but a friend uses those swimming pool noodles that kids play with, you can buy them cheap, there the long round floats that are about 5 inches round. He cuts them in about 2 foot sections so he stacks them in one of those plastic totes. He puts his line thru the hole, when in storage you can just wrap the line around the noodle & hook the the hook into it. Its alot easier and less of a mess than all those jugs with no where to wrap the line or put the hook, and they wont blow out of the tote on the way down the road, he uses that trotline material...Hope this helps....Abu65

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sorry in the future I won't have my own beliefs and will conform.

14. smalliehunter1

smalliehunter1 The Mighty Wingman

You should know better...... :rolleyes: :D

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm not sure about chicken blood, but you can get beef blood at any local butcher shop.

Twister, I dont kno how far you'd want to go, but I know of a couple shops in the Logan area.

16. My jug: 2 liter bottle. Small "eye" bolt with fine threads, the ny-lock nuts, 4oz or large pyramid sinker and a length of 80lb.+ mono.

Drill small hole to put bolt through the cap and put the eye bolt through, with a nut on the inside and outside of cap so they tighten down on the cap. Either open up the eye or tie on the pyramid then attach a length of line, sinker and hook. Unscrew lid and insert large glow stick.

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Just out of curiousity. Ever catch any big catfish on a jug? I'm thinking most all the fish are eater sized as opposed to "trophy" size (over say 30# but even 20-25#) ? :confused:
    What about other species? Bass, walleyes, stripers, muskies??

18. Actually I have yet to try it, just toolin' around the garage one day when I came up with my set up. I'd rather catch fish on the rod, but I think it would be a good way to find fish and plot their locations for future rod/reel fishing. Kinda like a dnr electro fishing :p :F

19. I have got gar and sheephead a few times on jugs and lines but thats really it. You would think that you would get a bass once in a while but I've never got one but I only set them once a year and some years not at all.

20. Simple river jugging. Take a milk or bleach jug put 3' of braided line from the handle to a 5/0 or bigger hook. Put a blue gill on the hook under the back fin. Toss it out and let it float with the current. I always put reflecrtive tape around the bottom of the jug to see it easly when a big cat pulls it back into a brush pile. The reason you only need 3' of line is that most of the fish we caught were fedding in shallow water or up under roots. Whith more than three feet of line you can not reach in and get it out of a mess.