Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jig it like ya like it
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever jug fished west branch? what are the laws for their use? and is it worth trying? thanks!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Here are the regs from the ODNR site:
Floatlines - Floatline or jug fishing is permitted in (1) all streams; (2) Sandusky Bay west of the New York Central Railroad bridge; (3) Berlin Lake south and west of St. Rt. 225; (4) Mosquito Lake north of the causeway and south of a line of buoys designating the waterfowl refuge; (5) Charles Mill Lake north of St. Rt. 430; (6) Clendening Lake east of St. Rt. 799; (7) Seneca Lake south of St. Rt. 147; (8) Tappan Lake above the gas line causeway and St. Rt. 646; (9) Atwood Lake north and east of St. Rt. 542 north at Dellroy; (10) Piedmont Lake in Sections 11 and 12 of Kirkwood Township; (11) Wills Creek Lake except in the area directly in front of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District boat landing; and (12) ALL PUBLIC WATERS EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY THE OWNER IN AUTHORITY.

It is unlawful to set, use, or maintain more than six floatlines in all public waters of the state of Ohio less than 700 surface acres. Floats must be of nonshatterable material and bear the name and address of the user. Floats must be freely adrift and be attended by the user at all times. Treble hooks are unlawful.

Never tried it at West Branch but yes, its worth trying. Chasing around a 5+ lb catfish on a jug can be interesting. Gallon milk jugs with screw tops are ok but bleach bottles are a little heavier plastic. I've had the line cut into a milk jug handle before with a larger catfish. White (or yellow) jugs are easier to see at night vs. clear plastic, but you can put glow sticks inside too. Smaller jugs will work in open water, but if you are around lily pads or low hanging brush, the larger jugs are easier to see/find if the fish takes it into the pads.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I've never jug fished there but have at other lakes. Best to go to the ODNR site and read the regs for yourself cause they are different for some lakes, with all the different regs for trot lines, limb lines and jugs I would'nt take anyones elses word other than the DNR. Good luck though, jug fishing is always a good time.

·
Jig it like ya like it
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's for all the info, it will be a big help! I read all the regs, that was exactly what i needed to know. I am hoping to land a musky on one, but a 5# cat would be nice too!! I already have bottles rigged and ready to roll, i cleaned up windshield fluid bottles, with some heavy braid. I will also try the noodle idea, sound like that could save space. Again, thank you all for the info and I will report everything I catch!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
My boy read this, now we have to do it. We are going to West Branch this weekend camping and guess what we're bringing..?? He and his brother been pounding the milk. So if anyone sees the jugs across from the campground bay along the shore, that would be his. I'll/we'll report back. He's hoping for snappers, on chicken gizzards/hearts. We read all the rules and we are also going to check with the rangers themselves. This will be different!

·
Jig it like ya like it
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mac, are musky that fragile they could possibly die? I will stick to the rod for musky then, that's what i'm really in pursuit of. just figured it could increase odds of maybe catching one.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Does anyone know how many jugs you can use on mosquito? I was told it was six even though it is bigger than 700 acrs

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Does anyone know how many jugs you can use on mosquito? I was told it was six even though it is bigger than 700 acrs
Only specifics for Mosquito that I can find are the location limits listed. If lake area is greater than 700 acres, I would assume the 6 jug limit would not apply. Best bet is to call the District Three office and verify it though. 330-644-2293

Don't forget that you need to have your name and address on the jugs. Unless you are planning on keeping any and everything that you catch, I recommend using circle hooks on the jugs. That will help prevent gut hooking something you want to release. Limb (set) lines and jugs (floatlines) are the only times I use circle hooks.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yeah, that's why they came up with "Quick Strike Rigs" to prevent damage while live baiting. When they live bait muskie it is with a rod, float, and a quick strike rig.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I saw four guys on a boat on Long Lake(portage lakes) with about 50 jugs set out on the north flats. it just doesn't seem like this would be leagal. I mean I can only use 2 poles, why can 4 guys use 50 jugs? if someone knows if this is legal or not i'd like to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I saw four guys on a boat on Long Lake(portage lakes) with about 50 jugs set out on the north flats. it just doesn't seem like this would be leagal. I mean I can only use 2 poles, why can 4 guys use 50 jugs? if someone knows if this is legal or not i'd like to know, thanks.
Its not legal. If 4 guys, max. number of jugs is 24. Heard about something similar last year too. Probably don't have their names on them either. Call and report it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Thanks, i will call it in next time. I live in cov twp too, great place to be for fishin nuts! Has anyone heard of flatheads being in long lake? I hooked into somthing last week in the northeast channel using a 8 inch golden shinner. had to be 20 plus lbs. I didn't have my drag set right & it snapped my 14 lb line in 5 secs. I was so mad at myself! swam too fast to be a snapper.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I assume that whomever posted that it said only 6 in the pamphlet decided that was not the case and deleted the post. Only thing that I can find in the pamphlet is the same info that I posted from the ODNR site. Only specifics for Mosquito that I can find are the location limits listed. If lake area is greater than 700 acres, I would assume the 6 jug limit would not apply. Best bet is to call the District Three office and verify it though. 330-644-2293

It was not in a post this was a verbal conversation. If I am reading the rules correctly as long as the lake is greater than 700 acres than the amount of jugs are unlimited.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

·
Jig it like ya like it
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mac, I will definitely keep that in mind! I am new to fishing musky, and i have read your posts and was happy to see those beautiful pics. You are doing a great job!! keep it up!! it gives me hope that i myself may be able to catch one. I troll mainly but will give casting, and jigging a shot. is there any kind of advice that you could give me to increase the odds of catching one? I fish WB when i can very nice lake, just hard to figure out.

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts
My boy read this, now we have to do it. We are going to West Branch this weekend camping and guess what we're bringing..?? He and his brother been pounding the milk. So if anyone sees the jugs across from the campground bay along the shore, that would be his. I'll/we'll report back. He's hoping for snappers, on chicken gizzards/hearts. We read all the rules and we are also going to check with the rangers themselves. This will be different!
probibly not .unfortionatly the rangers do not seem to even know they're own rules.not every ranger nor every day,but every time I ask them something I can not get a straight answer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Back from our weekend. We caught 1 snapper about 18" across the back,1 big soft shell that measured 17" in length not including the neck (about another 10"??) and 1 bullhead. All caught on chicken gizzards and livers. 8/0 hook and 65# braided dacron. Now, I'm looking for good fry recipe. Snappers alive in tub, soft shell died on hook and is cut up in fridge, catfish released.
probibly not .unfortionatly the rangers do not seem to even know they're own rules.not every ranger nor every day,but every time I ask them something I can not get a straight answer.
Dept. of watercraft was there, they thought it was O.K...???? Nobody bothered us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts