Johnson Woods Nature Preserve anything will help

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by closing time, Nov 6, 2007.

1. i have a youth hunt there on the 18th any info will help

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

here's an old thread:

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=59062&highlight=Johnson+Woods

My wife, daughter and I went there on Oct 27th and they had the gate to the parking lot closed. We pulled over and a lady ranger came over to talk to us. They were having a handicapped hunting day there. Two people in wheelchairs already shot two deer that morning and the other two were still in the woods.
    It's a small stand of old growth forest. Really neat big trees. Lots and lots of squirell and from what the ranger told us way too many deer.

Here's some photos to give you an idea of what it's like. Nice walkways. You could park yourself on a bench and let the deer come to you.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wow - that looks like a perfect place for the state to host more wheelchair hunts. I realize it is a public area, but it wouldn't hurt to close it down a week or two during November/December and allow access to wheelchair bound hunters - too perfect IMO.

Good luck to your son - should be easy to sneak in quitely on those paths and find your spot! Report back what you guys see and of course if your boy gets a deer.

4. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

It is a really cool place, I'm lucky we live close to it! WB

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I think they had 4 hunts scheduled there this year. The dates are posted on the board along the walkway. The state helps people get the opportunity that they wouldn't otherwise have to get a deer and it helps the state and the preserve with the overpopulated deer.

6. I grew up right down the road from there before they even made it a walking park. I shot my first Sears and Roebuck 20 gauge bolt action shotgun in that woods and made a perfect 6 inch triangle at 60 yards away. Sorry just brought back memories.......................Rich