Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dough Boy
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a johnson 5.5 and it just does not seem to push my boat good. I have a small 12 foot boat and it just does not push the boat very good. The electric motor almost pushes the boat better. Is this normal should the gas motor be this slow or should I look for a problem? Does any one know if it has a high low switch or something? The previous owner said it pushed an 18 ft lund at 5 miles an hour it does not even push my 12 ft 5 miles an hr. any help would be great it is a 1964 johnson

·
Scourge of Hoover
1,869 Posts
Hmm, a 5.5 should be plenty to push a 12' boat. Not fast, but should get it around decently. Also, I'm skeptical that a 5.5 would push an 18' Lund that fast - but let's focus on the issues at hand.

How are you judging speed? Are you using a GPS or guessing? Also, how much weight do you have loaded in the boat. (If you have a heavy loaded boat with say, 2 guys @ 200 lbs + motor + battery + gear etc. it does affect performance.)

*Also, you didn't say if the motor was running right. Does it run smoothly? Does it hesitate?" Does it sound like it's not revving up high enough? Might need to do a carb. cleaning.

·
Dough Boy
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to run good fires up first pull does not sound like it is reving high though and will not idle at slower idle. there is no idle adjustment on the motor. load is a full load I am juding speed on that my 44lb motor guide trolling motor almost pushs it faster then the 5.5

·
Dough Boy
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no it is short shaft but the shaft does hang lowe then the bottom of the boat the boat is a real shallow 12 fter it is a twin cylinder how do i make sure it is running on both

1 - 5 of 5 Posts