close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Johnson 110 blown powerhead

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ShakeDown, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

A buddy of mine called me this evening and gave me a HORRIFIC story of his 6 month old ebay-purchased boat on her maiden voyage. Among many other things, a local dealer said the compression tested way off, and his powerhead is shot. Anyone know of a reputable shop that can rebuild or replace the powerhead without costing a small fortune? He's not opposed to buying a new (used) outboard in the 100-115hp range.

Thanks!

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Shake have him get a hold of Chris, my Nephew. PM me for his number. He may be able to help him out.

3. "J"

"J"

Another avenue to try is www.anglerworld.com go to bass fishing home page and then forums, they have alot of pros there that can help out on this kind of thing. "J"

4. Bucktail

Bucktail Banned

If he wants to save a whole lot of $, I suggest him getting a new powerhead and replacing it himself. It's not that hard of a project if you have some mechanical abilities. I did it once on a 150 Evinrude and it was relatively easy for the most part, and the motor ran like a scalded dog when finished. :)

5. Never buy a boat from E-Bay!!!! Thanks for the feedback guys! I found a nice 1995 Evinrude 110 ocean runner around Detroit. Seems to be in great condition. THis time I did my homework. I still have the Evinrude 110 engine. Anyone think its worth working on? How do you do a pressure check on the lower unit?

6. Bucktail

Bucktail Banned

First off you need the correct tool to do a pressure test, if you don't have one then I would take it somewhere and let them do it. You might be able to rig one up if you got a radiator pressure tester, with a few modifications you could rig it to fit the plug on the lower unit. It has to be an airtight seal to hold the pressure (12 to 15 lbs should do or less), I would leave it set over night and see if bleedoff occurs then replace the seal accordingly. Hope this helps. :)

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Bucktail. When an LU is pressure tested, is there any sort of solvent (like a dye of some sort) used to show leaks? Or is it just a matter of watching the gauge?