close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Johnny Carson dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaleM, Jan 23, 2005.

1. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Just saw this on my news update. Great guy that made lots of people laugh.

Johnny Carson Dies At 79
    'Tonight Show' Host Was 79

POSTED: 1:51 pm EST January 23, 2005
    UPDATED: 2:33 pm EST January 23, 2005

The man who ruled over late night TV for 30 years -- Johnny Carson -- has died at the age of 79.

AP Photo
    Johnny Carson died Sunday morning at the age of 79.

Carson took over as host of NBC's "Tonight Show" in 1962 -- and continued in that role until 1992, when he was replaced by Jay Leno.

A nephew said Carson died "peacefully" this morning, "surrounded by his family." He says there will be no memorial service. There's no word on the cause of death.

Carson confirmed in 2002 that he had emphysema, and NBC News reported today that his death is due to complications from emphysema.

As host of the "Tonight Show," the Nebraska native delivered a mix of celebrity banter, droll comedy and heartland charm. Audiences never got tired of him -- and he was still on top when he retired.

Despite his wealth and the adoration of his guests, Carson maintained an air of modesty that helped enhance his intimacy with his viewers.

He was introduced each night with the booming announcement from sidekick Ed McMahon: "Heeeeere's Johnny" -- launching a show featuring a topical monologue, celebrity guests, and characters such as "Carnac the Magnificent."

2. Can't believe he was 79 already...
    One of a kind in comedy and shame he became a recluse in his later years...

3. I Sure Do Miss Him...his Timeing Was Great At Telling Jokes..jay Leno Is Good But No Johnny Carson....

4. a great man....a great show..he will be missed...god bless

5. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

I grew watching Carson. NOBODY could replace him. :( LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. catlover

catlover Banned

I hadn't thought of him in years. The local news says he was overweight. Anyone know if this is true. Ha always seemed skinny to me.

Catz

BTW-I wasn't attempting to be rude or morbid. It seemed odd that he had gained weight. It seemed unlike him. I am disabled due to a number of heart attacks/ With CGF I can't do much so I have to be very careful. I was just curious.
    Catz-out

7. without being to morbid..it doesnt really matter now...god bless him and his family..because im sure there going thru a tuff time

8. There will never be another like him.

9. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I seldom missed Carson prior to his retirement. The current talk show hosts aren't even in the same league. I have "The Best Of Carson" on video tape.