close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jobs per Car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nightprowler, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

http://www.jobspercar.com/

Answering the big question: Who supports the most U.S. jobs?
    At Level Field, we believe the most accurate way to judge an automaker's contribution to the U.S. economy is to examine the number of jobs that company supports on a car-by-car basis. This number should take into consideration:
    Jobs that take place beyond the assembly line, including engineering, design, finance, and more.

Market share—because a smaller automaker's jobs are measured against the cars it sells, rather than the jobs a larger automaker might support.

To make it easier to calculate the number of jobs supported by a particular model of car, the Level Field Institute has developed the JPC Rating.

The JPC Rating: An easy, effective way to compare.
    With this new tool, you'll be able to input specific make and model information and automatically receive a JPC score. In a nutshell, the JPC Score helps you see how many U.S. workers a particular company employs for every 2,500 cars it sells here. You can then compare that company's score with its competitors—and you can see how the differences between companies change over time.

Example: It's easier to appreciate that Ford employs 80 workers for every 2,500 cars it sells than to appreciate that every one sale supports .032 jobs. At the top end, Chrysler employs 83 workers for every 2,500 cars it sells, while Ford and GM follow with 80 and 71. Toyota scores 33, while Hyundai scores 15.

Industry JPC Scores—at a glance.
    Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM or Chrysler supports two to three times more jobs than buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports more than six times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? The Honda supports over three times more jobs.

Our results may surprise some observers. First, historic buyouts at GM and Ford reduced domestic automakers' "jobs advantage" only modestly in 2007 — with domestic automakers supporting approximately 2.5 times more U.S. jobs per car than the average foreign automaker.

Even though Toyota added jobs by opening a new plant, it also relied more heavily on imports from Japan, so its JPC score dropped slightly. Honda remains the best jobs performer among major foreign automakers, employing over six times more workers per car than Hyundai and about two and a half times more workers per car than VW.

In some cases, autos assembled outside the U.S. by companies based here support significantly more U.S. jobs than autos assembled here by companies with most of their engineering, design and headquarter jobs located overseas. For example, a Ford assembled in Mexico this year will likely support approximately six times more U.S. jobs as a Hyundai assembled in Alabama.

2. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I thought this was going to be about how many jobs you need to buy (or fuel!) certain cars.

3. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

that is what I thought at first. instead it seems to be a political thread. or at least a thread trying to draw people into a political themed discussion.

I'm in the market for a new car, though. After reading this website I am still going to buy a Honda.

4. This is more an economic discusion than political but their data is flawed or incomplete IMO. In you compare a NISSAN (made in the Far East but owned by Ford and compare it to a Cobalt made in Lordstown, Level Field would say the Nissan contributes more jobs to the USA economy than the Cobalt because Ford has a higher number than GM..
    I would argue the Cobalt contributes more jobs..IMO.....

5. As a topic near to my heart ( I have family that work for the big three). I am sure that buying an American made car IS very important to the U.S. economy. I know part of the problem is that the big three doesn't have cars that get great miles per gallon. But while gas was cheap they sold and made them lots of money. And That money was used to pay the good wages of a lot of americans!! But another pice of the problem is the unfair advantage of asia made cars. They pay there worker nothin per hour and the gov. picks up their health care. Of course the US auto industry is having a hard time competing. They also have pensions they have to pay for that the aisa car companies don't. Just like the steel industry the auto industy needs to be protected from unfair competition. That is what tariffs are for. Without a strong auto industry The US will loose it's foot hold in the world economy. I will only buy American Cars because I know it supports good american jobs.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

That's my thoughts as well Billybob. Enough of my money goes over seas, like to keep what I can here.

7. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

This is something that is common to see around the UAW.

Honda, toyota and nissan provide plenty of jobs accross America. GM and toyota actually have a joint venture in California and work together.

IMO I think the article is more UAW bs. The UAW is what is bringing down the big three, not health care. I know first hand the UAW has been trying for years to get in the honda plants in this state, and the workers keep turning them down, not honda. Honda allows the workers to vote on it, and the workers refuse to allow the UAW.