Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Tom B.
3,924 Posts
I load up up on my 401 because last year they took our pension. Hope all you guys have a great retirement! Not that I want to get old fast but my wife cant wait for the day I retire and finish off my to do list stuff.
I'm leaving my list in my will.

Fish-n-fool
My work situation was similar to yours in many ways. Once all our major debts were paid it also freed me up to move. Don't regret the moderate pay cut at all. My sanity has value.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
No way I'd leave a job a good paying job with 5 weeks of vacation.
I can't tell you how many people I ran across who quit a job they were bored with and in less than a year realized they made a big mistake. Probably half of those people were laid off from the new job because of lack of work. Quite a few found out within weeks that the promises made by the new employer before the hire were not going to be kept.
My wife switched jobs quite often looking for this perfect job that was going to make her happy to jump up and go to work. Even after not finding that job she went to work for herself and even that had it's challenges. She's lucky I was able to fund our retirement otherwise she'd still be working
I worked for the same company for 39 years, lived a fairly conservative lifestyle and planned for for the day I could walk away. Work was simply a means to afford what I wanted to get out of my personal life.
Well said.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
When my company first started 401K plan I was too dumb to get in on it . I did at some point and now I have decent amount .Been retired almost three years and haven't had to touch it .Get working on your retirement plan and retire early if possible .I have chronic back problems and Lymphoma tumor behing eye which radiation has taken care of for now .My point is retire before your health limits your ability to enjoy it .
Started my 401k at 22. 37 now.
Gonna start looking into other options to put money this winter.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Started my 401k at 22. 37 now.
Gonna start looking into other options to put money this winter.
If you got extra cash to stash for retirement, I would start a Roth IRA. When I got close to retirement and was looking at financial advisors one of the factors that one guy pointed to was 25% of our nest egg was in a Roth.

We retired a few years early. For insurance I had the VA to turn to if needed. My wife elected to find an inexpensive plan under Obama Care. Her plan was inexpensive as far a premiums go but it didn't cover much and had a $10k out of pocket. It was only good for a major problems. My wife is healthy and in great shape. She rarely ever goes to a doctor.
We figured why pay over $1000+ every month and never use it. It worked out well for us. We had plenty of savings set aside to cover any medical expenses if needed

it is time for a change. I am working on a max 24 month plan to transition away.
Good luck. I would try to shorten that time frame to within the next six months. No one should live like that.
I once had an employer tell me if I couldn't get my work done in 5 days I could always work weekends (I was salary) I told him it wasn't going to happen. Life's to just too short. He could have fired me but instead decided to re-direct how the work flow came to me and lessoned the load.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,479 Posts
Those of you that have decided "i am out" because of conditions. you may want to try negotiating a new role with your management. if you have already decided to leave, what is the worst that can happen, they fire you and you get unemployment for the next 6+months. but there is the possibility that they listen and you get a better role. even if it is just for the next year, that is another year of full salary and benefits. why not, since you already decided to leave. i have seen many times that the "squeaky wheel does get the oil" and those that "soldier on are continued to be taken for granted..." if we all are as important and as good as we say, then they sure should want to try and keep us under today's staffing issues... think about it...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Privateer makes a good point. I done this once and it worked, I got a raise and some adjustment to my duties. I made it a do this or I walk position, but it was a post retirement job and I didn't need it to put groceries on the table, so I could be bold.

Here is what I would add to anyone's scenario; Make yourself valuable. Companies and agencies look first at your over-all value to them. Value is leverage. Are you productive, engaged in improving things, use time efficiently and reliable. If you want to advance and be secure, make yourself valuable. This also works when you are ready to change. It follows you. When applying you can use old coworkers and past supervisors as reference. I am an old farmboy and I was taught at an early age it doesn't matter if you like the work or not, your obligation is to work and whatever you do you do it the best you can. If you can't swallow the conditions then get out. My daddy once told me, when I was grouching about a job, "didn't you agree to take the job for the pay? and aren't you getting that paycheck? When I said yes he said, then shut up and work, you agreed to his terms when you took the job, if you don't like it then quit, but griping ain't fixin it"!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If you got extra cash to stash for retirement, I would start a Roth IRA. When I got close to retirement and was looking at financial advisors one of the factors that one guy pointed to was 25% of our nest egg was in a Roth.

We retired a few years early. For insurance I had the VA to turn to if needed. My wife elected to find an inexpensive plan under Obama Care. Her plan was inexpensive as far a premiums go but it didn't cover much and had a $10k out of pocket. It was only good for a major problems. My wife is healthy and in great shape. She rarely ever goes to a doctor.
We figured why pay over $1000+ every month and never use it. It worked out well for us. We had plenty of savings set aside to cover any medical expenses if needed

Good luck. I would try to shorten that time frame to within the next six months. No one should live like that.
I once had an employer tell me if I couldn't get my work done in 5 days I could always work weekends (I was salary) I told him it wasn't going to happen. Life's to just too short. He could have fired me but instead decided to re-direct how the work flow came to me and lessoned the load.
Some good advisory nuggets in there c-dude

·
captainhook
1,045 Posts
Think that you should take a deep breath and consider what you have. Good job, good pay, 5 weeks vacation, 401k plan.
People would kill to have that. I am planning on retiring next year. I have a good job with excellent pay, 4 weeks vacation, 401k, and a pension. The job is killing me physically, though. We have lost 4 guys out of our maintenance dept and they will not hire anyone else. So, they just pile the work onto whoever is left. I have looked around for about the last year for another job, but there is nothing that comes close to what I have now. Hoping to do a lot of fishing when I retire. Good luck in whatever you do. Just don't make a hasty decision.

·
Registered
633 Posts
This doesn't help in the OP's position, but may help some younger ones reading this thread. When choosing a position try and consider all aspects. Money should not be the main motivation. There is money , too some extent in practically any field. Just had this conversation with my daughter because shes not happy with the mortgage company she's with. Of course I told her same thing when she took the job a year ago. Another daughter, got both her bachelors and masters degree. Got certified as a nurse practitioner. Worked at rainbow's children's hospital and then switched gears to teaching at Case Western reserve. Didn't care for any of it and is now working for a child advocacy program part-time, but absolutely loves it. My point would be that we work so many hours in our lifetime, then I would advise younger people to really try and find what they love to do.

Kip

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I've been thinking its time for a change! Looking for some ideas of who truly likes going to work for the most part. I have been with my company for 16 years and with the new "mandate" its time to start looking. I'm currently a shop lead where we build sensors for reactors is a short explanation and came from a carpenter/plumbing background. I get paid well and at this point going back to a low paying job is not going to cut it so that's also hard about this change. I know there are tons of jobs right now but its always nice to hear personal thoughts and not just a reviews online.
My son lost his job making 100.000+ a year with benefits has a degree in business and was a supervisor for 16 years he's 40. he applied for over 170 jobs had one phone interview and one in-person interview out of that many applications.. his unemployment ran out and dad had to bail him out when the Gov kept saying no one wanted to work, as bad as you would like to move on if your married I'd stay put, you may end up like my son (GOOD LUCK) he could find that 100.000 +job

41 - 51 of 51 Posts