Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I first retired in 2006. Have worked for 3 companies since , all in middle management positions. Currently doing short contract work, again in middle management through the rest of the month. Going to walk away from these type of contracts after first of the year and relax, again.
I’m a workaholic and personally feel retirement is over rated.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I was fortunate to work in a union where my pay never changed, and if I didn't like a job could quit and get another(when work was good).... but really never had to , locked up with a couple local companies and worked semi steady for years..... most of my time..... I did quit a few times for certain contractors , but never would go back even if offered

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I think I hold the record for dragging up. My JIW book was out of 550, then I transferred to 17 before withdrawing after 10 years. Still vested enough to draw a pension from them.
Was lucky to get into the Big Blue Oval and retiring from there.

·
Tom B.
3,924 Posts
Your going to have a tough time beating 5 weeks of vacation, good pay, and non backbreaking work.

I left a tough job after 28 years because it was tearing up my back and shoulders and the new plant manager made it a more miserable environment. The new job pays less and only 2 weeks vacation, but I'm happy to be there.
Swagelok is still actively hiring, if anyone is looking. I came from production work, but didn't know how to run a cnc machine. They are training me now, and are willing to train.

Stay on subject people.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Good Luck to You. I just retired just a few weeks ago. So I am a little scared on how this is going to go. Got my buck. But on jobs I wish I were young again, if you persist and target your dream job you can get it, be serious and not a job you are not qualified for. But you can get that job just don't screw it up. I keep thinking about getting one that I have never done. But I am retired.
I have about three months to go before I hit retirement.. I cant wait but then again? Quite nervous about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went and got my real estate license 3 years ago and wish I would have done it years ago. I took myself off payroll from the job I've had for the last 29 years when I got my license so basically I am, yet again, self employed. I really don't ever plan on fully retiring and I can sell houses for the rest of my life. My wife will be able to retire in about 10 years and I can work as much as I want to after that. I am now an independent contractor for my other sales job and sell houses full time. So glad I made the change. No more management meetings etc. Leaves me time for my HS coaching gig too. Change isn't bad. Change can be exactly what you need.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
Retirement is everything.If you have a good retirement where you are at, it would be foolish to leave. If not move on to something better. I worked 32 years at a company that I absolutely hated, but they had a fantastic retirement,so I stuck it out and now glad I did. I've seen way too many of my friends move from job to job because they didn't like it, and now they are still working because they can't afford to retire.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
No way I'd leave a job a good paying job with 5 weeks of vacation.
I can't tell you how many people I ran across who quit a job they were bored with and in less than a year realized they made a big mistake. Probably half of those people were laid off from the new job because of lack of work. Quite a few found out within weeks that the promises made by the new employer before the hire were not going to be kept.
My wife switched jobs quite often looking for this perfect job that was going to make her happy to jump up and go to work. Even after not finding that job she went to work for herself and even that had it's challenges. She's lucky I was able to fund our retirement otherwise she'd still be working
I worked for the same company for 39 years, lived a fairly conservative lifestyle and planned for for the day I could walk away. Work was simply a means to afford what I wanted to get out of my personal life.

·
Tom B.
3,924 Posts
I'm mostly with your thinking crappiedude. That is what kept me in last job so long, but deteriorating conditions forced my hand. Hopefully lcbn's situation isn't so dire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You have to make your own retirement plan nowadays. I tell all these young kids at Kroger to start putting money away now. 10% of your check. All it takes. Union retirement is pitiful. Its something but not life sustaining. After twenty years at Kroger I'll be making 350 dollars a month for Pension. No medical. Cant depend on your employer anymore. Take care of yourself.

·
Charter Captain
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I load up up on my 401 because last year they took our pension. Hope all you guys have a great retirement! Not that I want to get old fast but my wife cant wait for the day I retire and finish off my to do list stuff.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When my company first started 401K plan I was too dumb to get in on it . I did at some point and now I have decent amount .Been retired almost three years and haven't had to touch it .Get working on your retirement plan and retire early if possible .I have chronic back problems and Lymphoma tumor behing eye which radiation has taken care of for now .My point is retire before your health limits your ability to enjoy it .

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,479 Posts
When my company first started 401K plan I was too dumb to get in on it . I did at some point and now I have decent amount .Been retired almost three years and haven't had to touch it .Get working on your retirement plan and retire early if possible .I have chronic back problems and Lymphoma tumor behing eye which radiation has taken care of for now .My point is retire before your health limits your ability to enjoy it .
the health insurance is the big question for most folks when trying to retire early. most of us wishing to retire early folks are about 60 today and can't get medicare until 65... question is how lucky do you feel...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I feel your pain OP and I believe many working Americans do as well. I have 17 years in at my company and each day is now a challenge. Too many responsibilities, too many internal goals, far too many people to manage, and way over worked. An 8 hour day is about a half day and has been for the last 3 years. Had in excess of 100 hours in some weeks (yes 100).....stayed overnight in the work building on occasion and slept on the floor on a mat I brought in (yes in Columbus Ohio not China). Didn't get a single day off for nearly a two month stretch including Sundays in Sept / Oct. Can't even take a day off without customers and or the company calling my personal cell phone at this point with some crisis. All this and the only pressure is 10% revenue growth in a tough market where we cannot get qualified labor. I am forced to ask way too much of those I manage.....I suggested not accepting new clients, terminating some poor clients, etc. to ease the stress and pressure on my team - was told that result will lead to my termination I am tasked with growing the revenue and adding more work! Oh and did I mention we are all salary and the company President canceled bonuses for 2021 into the foreseeable future - you can't make this stuff up.

Veteran's Day last week made me sit down and start evaluating things really hard. I ALWAYS take that day off and bow hunt...have every year. This year, a good friend and Vietnam Vet asked me to come to his VFW post and help him for the day. I took a vacation day and we served Vets free meals, snacks and canned beer from 10-6 and asked for donations from non-Vets to help the VFW post and their charitable community events during the year. Although I was honestly a little disappointed not to get to hunt at first, I quickly came to the realization I owed these Vets a lot more than a day of serving food and was looking forward to it. Got down to the VFW at 9am, met a few folks and got to work. It was a great day with Vets coming in and out all day and the public supported it big time raising quite a bit of coin for the VFW post. I even got the pleasure of serving up a WWII Vet an ice cold Busch lite at 11am after his grandsons carried him in :D I stayed until 7pm cleaning up and had a beer with the crew I served with al day. It was a really great / fun day and I was happy I made the decision to help instead of hunt.

I had no cell service and driving home my service kicked in. I had not one, but multiple very nasty voicemails from my company management. They had emailed receiving my out of office reply and then started calling my cell in the morning about a customer issue (mind you my schedule, the company calendar everything shows I am off). The messages got worse throughout the day actually yelling at me demanding me to take care of this issue immediately, etc. and chewing me out for not calling back etc. Next thing I know it is after 8 and I am trying to get dinner and I am getting chewed out on my cell phone....could hardly even sleep that night and dreaded the next day. I went home and told my wife it was time. I can't just put in a two weeks, but WE made the decision regardless of the compensation (I get paid well and we live very comfortably) it is time for a change. I am working on a max 24 month plan to transition away. I'm not quite certain what I will be doing in my next chapter, but I am certain I am leaving this life behind me. I'm fortunate my spouse is 100% behind me and like minded. We also have always been savers so while not ready to retire (only early 40s) we are very well positioned without debts and don't need to make a lot of money at the next stop. I was already saving nearly everything I could, but we committed to pinching hard through this period. I'm selling a 3rd vehicle this week to bank that cash since prices are so high. That insurance money will be saved also.

It seems most that I speak with right now that are actually working are often unsatisfied and many workers are being overburdened due to lack of employees. I cannot go on treating others like this asking them to work non-stop in a stressful environment. And I personally cannot take it as it is going to severely impact my health (already is in minor fashion). I understand work won't always be fun / satisfying, etc., but I will not be working more than a 40-50 hour work week PERIOD END OF STORY at my next stop. No more missing family time, events and vacations ever again I'm not doing it.

We all have to do what is right not only for ourselves, but those we support today and in the future. What i can tell you is employers are BEGGING for quality employees and are willing to pay for them.
Now is a great time to move if it is right for you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Fish-N-Fool, I cant agree with you more. Kroger employees say it is Kroger and I tell em it is all over. Not just Kroger. I am very lucky I am near retirement. If its any help I had a Menards employee tell me how great it was to work there. Shes been there long time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I was young, I started working at Republic Steel, We all know what happened to the steel industry. Any way, Four company's and 35 years later, at 62, I am gone. Wanted to stay linger, but the hours we had to put in. 70 - 80 or so per week.My body could not handle the load any more. If we did not work the OT, we were schuled. Consceon after consceon on wadges and benifits. Managment wanted the older employers out. Made it rough on every one. Talk about 401's they are nice, some people do not hardly make enough to live on , let alone set up a 401. Seems like the work place is getting Harder and harder on people, in many ways. I, have heard company's want to hire good people. Maybe, We all know when you become a certan age, you will be lucky to get hired. let alone a good job. To all of you that are retired, Happy Retirement. To all of you that have to work, May the lord be with you.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts