Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Charter Captain
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking its time for a change! Looking for some ideas of who truly likes going to work for the most part. I have been with my company for 16 years and with the new "mandate" its time to start looking. I'm currently a shop lead where we build sensors for reactors is a short explanation and came from a carpenter/plumbing background. I get paid well and at this point going back to a low paying job is not going to cut it so that's also hard about this change. I know there are tons of jobs right now but its always nice to hear personal thoughts and not just a reviews online.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If I've ever felt dread going in then it's time to look elsewhere, has been my only rule. I've been at my current job for almost 10 years now, I don't dread it but have kind of stagnated and no longer find it challenging. As a result 3 years ago decided to advance and get my masters, then after a year of the program became frustrated with the lack of applicable classes and feeling of "just give us money for another degree" that is most of today's institutions.
Sat down and really thought about my future. My thought became I can either focus on being happy in my personal life or work, but both wasn't going to work out. Have since had 2 kids, moved out of the city, and enjoy my personal life much more. Work is well work, don't hate it and don't love it but decided to focus on my personal life and that seemed to help tremendously.
I would just say be careful, sometimes it's worth the risk but other times can be a move from the pot to the frying pan. Good luck on your decision.

·
Charter Captain
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did see the stay order but we also have government contracts so hopefully that will be covered soon but I fear they do it anyways. I hate to say it but we kinda have it made and I dont have much to complain about other than being bored.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,478 Posts
I did see the stay order but we also have government contracts so hopefully that will be covered soon but I fear they do it anyways. I hate to say it but we kinda have it made and I dont have much to complain about other than being bored.
it is rather strange how this mandate is being implemented... i frequent a federal gov site as an outside contributor (not employee or contractor). all those working at that site are under the mandate (it is not waived for gov contractors or even contractors to the prime contractor). i do have to sign a paper that says fully vaccinated to be allowed on site. from what i can tell, there is no verification for us "outsiders". thus is pure politics as its not even pretending to protect anyone like that.

one project with a very tight deadline has outside contractors building components. the contracts with those folks are not sufficient $$ that their company will agree to the mandate - they have lots of other customers... so the gov contract will go unserved as there are no other suppliers for those components/services... very interesting way to run things. the gov thinks it has more power over the people than they do...

another pal of mine that owns a company with over 100 employees has said will split up the big company into smaller companies so that they no longer have >100 employees and not under mandate. they can't do the obvious and make everyone an independent contractor as there are IRS regulations specifying what an independent must meet. however, no rules saying you can't layoff a bunch of employees and then offer employment services to them to help find another job just as good...

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I fear even if the mandates get struck down, they will find a way to tie it to health care or health insurance. Doctors or hospitals refusing service to the unvaccinated.
And why shouldn't they. Why does my insurance deduction have to pay for some dumb ass who believes its plot by the govt. to control its citizens. People who smoke have to pay higher premiums... what's the difference here.

·
Registered
512 Posts
And why shouldn't they. Why does my insurance deduction have to pay for some dumb ass who believes its plot by the govt. to control its citizens. People who smoke have to pay higher premiums... what's the difference here.
Where does it end though. If your fat? If you have diabetes and don't control it? If you don't exercise? If you eat an unhealthy diet? Its a slippery slope we are on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good point. I guess using that same reasoning, why should my premiums go up to care for some sheep who lives his life in such fear that he takes a completely new and under researched drug and developes cancer or Lord knows what kind of affliction down the road. It all depends on what risk you want to take. It's risk on both sides for sure. So why is it that someone who doesn't agree with your point of view is automatically a dumba$$?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It’s because we have a Constitution! And why should some dumb ass be able to make unconstitutional mandates? There’s no proof that the Covid shot works and they are forcing it upon us! It’s only time before they come after you for something that you don’t agree with. They’re on a Bust the Constitution roll now.
As for a career change if you have skills and a work ethic you are in demand now so name your price. They’re looking for you.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Not so sure there are as many job opportunities as some may suggest.
It’s been said that many companies that received the government loans continue to say they are hiring only so they can delay, or not have to repay the loan.
Personally I don’t really care.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
UGHHHH the topic is possible new career fields, not Government interference or covid mandates. Sure that was the reason for looking elsewhere, but he asked for some thoughts on what kind of careers people are enjoying, to use as input. I get as tired of the anti-government, covid, liberal vs conservative banter as hell. I hear it all day every day and I am tired of it all. Sure it's a concern and there's a place and time to deal with it, but please let's not drive so many discussions here off the rails here. Start a discussion on the topic instead of derailing others. That way we can just ignore it if we want and not be mislead into a discussion.

Back on topic - I am retired and self employed (that means I do a few things to make fun money) and I honestly say it's great. Between myself and wife we have a good retirement income and that is an important aspect of whatever you do. Prepare for the day you can tell them all to shove it. Build retirement funds and plans now and start young. It is one of the most important things you can do. If you have a job that can help you do that, swallow hard and stay with it, just remind yourself some day I can tell them all , "shove it". The better you plan the sooner you can do it.

I worked several jobs and I can assure you they all get old. Heck, as a fisherman I had the best job ever and my play was my work for 30+ years, I loved it, but I was also ready to walk away. Everything becomes a "job" if you do it long enough. They all have hassles. The best thing I can tell you is think about what interest you when nothing is at stake. What would you go watch someone do that intrigues you. Then find out what skills and qualifications are needed to do them and build on that. The other option is find the job that pays the most with the best retirement plan and go do it with the plan it's going to get you an early exit. There is no shangri la on earth. Sometimes we just have to make lemonade.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Going back to the original post before this gets locked. I think giving up 16 years at a place would be hard unless you are skilled. You said you were a carpenter and a plumber so if that’s the case I’d say your skilled, but if your job is just a supervisor of an assembly line I don’t think your going to be able to negotiate so much with a new company. 16 years, I’d say you have at least 3 weeks vacation, and if you’d go to a new job they’d probably give you 1. Your probably on the shift you like, and knowing you from some of your previous post you know how to make your time off worthwhile. What’s to say a new company makes you promises and don’t keep them. I will say if you are a carpenter/plumber consider being your own boss and making your own hours. The friends I have that work for themselves are turning away work regularly, and doing quite well. Maybe think about doing that part time to get out of the rut of the current job. If your company is stable now I’d be hard pressed to give up 16 years. Good luck with whatever you decide

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I, was working, I put 35 years in the same building. Four differnt companys. Each buy out was a little worse than the last. Then we lost it all. Those were some hard 35yrs. I, stuck it out for differnt reasons. Some tine to move is not the answer. I, my case every thing worked out, thank the lord.

·
Charter Captain
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah my company is very stable and they are trying to make things better it seems. Id love to work from myself but its just a big leap of uncertainties! I had about 6 lawns I was doing on the side plus some swing set side jobs which are $$$$$! but I had to scale back some. I think the biggest thing holding me here is my Vac honestly .. I get 5 weeks and use every min of it haha .

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Good Luck to You. I just retired just a few weeks ago. So I am a little scared on how this is going to go. Got my buck. But on jobs I wish I were young again, if you persist and target your dream job you can get it, be serious and not a job you are not qualified for. But you can get that job just don't screw it up. I keep thinking about getting one that I have never done. But I am retired.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts