Ohio Game Fishing banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
“I believe the guy who figures currents out, is the guy nobody can beat. They’re key in boat control but even more important in where the fish want to be, because they relocate the bait.
RON JOHNSON aka "THUMPER" was the man especially out East.

Ron Levitan - "Passin Time" has currents figured out better than anyone else I know from Huron to the West these days

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,108 Posts
Thanks all for the great shared information. I run out of Geneva and heard alot of radio chatter of guys running wire off big boards in 70+ feet of water Can anyone share any info on this setup? Thanks.
Misdirection hit it on the head. our only difference is we are using Okuma reels and YoZuri stick baits.

I run out of Geneva too. 30' Baha docked there since 2010.

If you want to checkout gear in person. Contact me any time starting in May and I will show you our wire stuff. We won't be running it until July or August - but i can show you our setup. When we get into wire season, you can jump on for a day and see it in action too.

·
Homerun1951
13 Posts
Misdirection hit it on the head. our only difference is we are using Okuma reels and YoZuri stick baits.

I run out of Geneva too. 30' Baha docked there since 2010.

If you want to checkout gear in person. Contact me any time starting in May and I will show you our wire stuff. We won't be running it until July or August - but i can show you our setup. When we get into wire season, you can jump on for a day and see it in action too.
Thanks for the response. I run a 27' Sportcraft for the past 4 years. Just retired this year so I'm looking forward to spe cing alot more time fishing. Thanks for the offer to check out your setup. Spring sure can't get here. Soon enough. Stay well.

·
Homerun1951
13 Posts
You can take a fully calibrated reel like a Diawa Accudepth 47 and add 300' of single strand stainless wire right on top.

You can buy it at Karran's in Geneva. Most guys run 12 lbs test, I personally run 20.

Wire doesnt knot, so you twist it. A Haywire twist tool is very helpful.

Wire will dive 1' of depth for every 10' of wire + your crank depth.

So a rapala DHJ-12 which has a max depth of 19', will dive to 49' on 300' of wire.

If you search, I have old threads on this topic or feel free to shoot me a PM. I dock down in Bula.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comeback and great information. What have you used as clips to attach wire to the big boards? I'm also a big fan of The Karran Shop.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Thanks for the comeback and great information. What have you used as clips to attach wire to the big boards? I'm also a big fan of The Karran Shop.
Typically, we let all of the wire out and are clipping the braid backing onto the towline.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Jim when did you start fishing primarily huron and east to lorain and the central basin. Or how early do you think the migratory fish hit the huron and lorain area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
Brother Rich chartered out of Spitzers for a few yrs 12 or 15 yrs ago. But moved to Vermilion to cut down the travel time. Then stopped going East at all. Like others when the walleye numbers increased.

I’ll say that May is when Lorain starts to heat up. But I’d defer to Meerkat and his buds for the best answer from the guys who live there.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,108 Posts
Typically, we let all of the wire out and are clipping the braid backing onto the towline.

again.. we do similar. never attach any release to steel line as that will cause a bend that will eventually snap. we always run all steel line out and then hang from the braid. we use rubber bands to the braid fishing line and then a small carbiner to attach to the board line. same release we use for running tru-trip diver and long line braid too.

this is one of the reasons we went to 250' of steel over the already calibrated braid reels. at one time we had 350' of steel but at times we wanted less steel in the water and can't attach release to steel without potential weak point. we also found that we can get just as deep with the 250' of steel and then just run more braid out as needed. the other reason to move to 250' of steel is that any more steel and it would not fit on top of a calibrated reel and that means we would have lost ability to gauge how much braid is out behind the steel. its more about consistency than knowing exactly where the lure is running as we are all only getting close and then moving up or down as we are catching fish.

·
Homerun1951
13 Posts
again.. we do similar. never attach any release to steel line as that will cause a bend that will eventually snap. we always run all steel line out and then hang from the braid. we use rubber bands to the braid fishing line and then a small carbiner to attach to the board line. same release we use for running tru-trip diver and long line braid too.

this is one of the reasons we went to 250' of steel over the already calibrated braid reels. at one time we had 350' of steel but at times we wanted less steel in the water and can't attach release to steel without potential weak point. we also found that we can get just as deep with the 250' of steel and then just run more braid out as needed. the other reason to move to 250' of steel is that any more steel and it would not fit on top of a calibrated reel and that means we would have lost ability to gauge how much braid is out behind the steel. its more about consistency than knowing exactly where the lure is running as we are all only getting close and then moving up or down as we are catching fish.
Thanks much again. Makes sense to go with 250'. I'm looming forward to stopping over and visiting this Spring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Jim and everyone for doing the winter seminar! Two questions: How to identify currents and adjust fishing tactics? (Mentioned earlier, but would love to learn more about this...) In spring, where to start and ways to locate pods of trophy fish when you fish weekends and don’t track day to day. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
Scum lines are the easiest way to identify currents , the reading the set in you trolling rods, like when they're just not quite pulling quite as hard one way as they were going the other way. Also watch the boards careful like how high the front of the board is above the water, or how much wake they're making. All these thing require paying close attention and experience.

Locating pods of trophy fish is a matter of some days simply listening to the radio, or gathing Intel from friends, dock mates, tackle shop, or watching this site. Starting west of Mouse Island and looking towards F can, then over to G & H cans worked well for around 2 weeks last yr, There are a bunch of nice fish this year, but true trophies don't get into big pods ordinarily. Look for high scattered marks with bait and try to ignor the fish marking below 20', especailly if the water is dirty.

·
2,416 Posts
Brother Rich chartered out of Spitzers for a few yrs 12 or 15 yrs ago. But moved to Vermilion to cut down the travel time. Then stopped going East at all. Like others when the walleye numbers increased.

I’ll say that May is when Lorain starts to heat up. But I’d defer to Meerkat and his buds for the best answer from the guys who live there.
There is a decent population of resident fish off Lorain. I know a few guys who did well at 31/16 in 50 fow a month ago.

But in general, baring reports that tell me otherwise, I will move from the western basin reefs to Lorain at the beginning of May.

There will still be plenty of fish around the islands, reefs, Huron, etc but for me, since I live close to Lorain, why drive an hour or more each way?

The fish hang around a break line from 30 to 40 fow (old beach from a few thousand yrs ago) less than a mile off shore all the way from Vermillion to Avon Point.

As the water warms up the fish will move deeper into the 50 ft trough between the Sandbar & the Lorain bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Jim for the response and great info! One follow up on locating the spring trophies. I hear folks talk about “dragging just along the mud on the bottom,” particularly around Kelley’s. Thoughts on that approach? Are they simply triggering a reaction strike from neutral/negative fish?

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Sweet escape, thats a tactic for a bit later. Recovering post spawn females will sometimes sit right on the bottom and that's when this works. Late April early May to me is the right time, and it's pretty easy up in the water column then too. So this is somethings I hardly ever do. Good fishing.

·
2,416 Posts
Sweet escape, thats a tactic for a bit later. Recovering post spawn females will sometimes sit right on the bottom and that's when this works. Late April early May to me is the right time, and it's pretty easy up in the water column then too. So this is somethings I hardly ever do. Good fishing.
Dragging a lure in the mud works well in May in that 35 fow I talked about in my previous post. Especially on the Lorain Bank. The bottom is all mud on the bank so you won’t get hung up. Bandit, DHJ or Reef Runner 100 to 140 back with 2oz in-line wt & 6’ leader. 2mph with sharp turns to stall inside board & drop lure in the mud. Turn back to the opposite side & “fish on!” as the lure darts back up out of the mud.

I think the Lorain Bank is a rest stop for the big girls on their way east so they are not always there but when they are it is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Jim, I must have been sleeping as I didn’t notice you started the Seminar again. Just wanted to say thank you again from all of us!
Also, thanks to all the other folks contributing...Privateer, Meerkat and everyone else.
If it wasn’t for this forum I’d still be fishing out there thinking I had all the answers.... THANK YOU!

141 - 158 of 158 Posts