Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll start it off.. finding fish on plane. What speed are you generally running at? How much water will you cover till you start to fish? Are you chaging any setting on your fishfinder? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Jim, I'm glad to see you're doing this again, makes the winter doldrums just a little better thank you! My question is about trolling into the waves. There are many days I want to go back over fish, the boat will do it, it may not be as fun or comfortable. Do you troll back into them or pull lines and run up hill and re set?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Jim,

Can you give your best online tutorial on tuning a reef runner

i see far too many people give up on them because they dont know how to tune them. I had trouble with them until you showed me your way and now its pretty simple

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes Jim,Was waiting for your winter seminar again.Thanks for doing and Joe too.Had several treble break on my bandits last year.What brand and size treble you recommend to replace

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,385 Posts
Thank you Jim for your time and answers. 57 days till spring;)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, I'm glad to see you're doing this again, makes the winter doldrums just a little better thank you! My question is about trolling into the waves. There are many days I want to go back over fish, the boat will do it, it may not be as fun or comfortable. Do you troll back into them or pull lines and run up hill and re set?

I'll start it off.. finding fish on plane. What speed are you gene
I'll start it off.. finding fish on plane. What speed are you generally running at? How much water will you cover till you start to fish? Are you chaging any setting on your fishfinder? Thanks

I've always had the advantage of being able to read fish at speed. Either with through hull transducers on larger boats, or proper ducer placement on transum ducersers. Changing setting to a wider angle while running is ok but you need to remember you're looking at a much wider area. What I look for most is high scattered marks with bait in the area. I have to resist setting up on the first decent marks I see. You cover way more water on plane looking then you do at trolling speed, so check around a bit and try to find your best opportunity in the area. Sometimes that means 10 minutes...sometimes 45 minutes.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

X
It depends on how big the waves are . 1-1/2' or less going uphill isn't too bad, but bigger then that and it usually is just too much work.

·
fishin is fun
606 Posts
Jim
I see lots of custom bandits as well as other baits
Why so much hype and what top 6 colors and painters and why?
Some use automotive clear and some don't?

What holds up better to hook scratch and teeth?

Also does anyone paint a red custom like a spoon color shrimp?
Which is red and red fluorescent

Also talk about water depth perception for lures changing or becoming non visible?

Hope you got your thinking cap on!
Thanks again for doing this!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Jim,Was waiting for your winter seminar again.Thanks for doing and Joe too.Had several treble break on my bandits last year.What brand and size treble you recommend to replace
I don't have a favorite treble. My hook box has many. I usually try to use a simular style and size, but ther are so manny good hooks produced now, I don't worry about it. You don't need a high priced hook to catch a walleye.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,

Can you give your best online tutorial on tuning a reef runner

i see far too many people give up on them because they dont know how to tune them. I had trouble with them until you showed me your way and now its pretty simple
James search tuning Reefrunners by Jim Stedke or just tuning crank baits. There's a ton of you tubes out there.

This is a big deal, in fact I'd say if you struggle catching fish on cranks, you don't know how to tune them. I'm not going to write 800 words on tuning, But let me stress this, go easy, if you feel the line tie loop move you have gone too far. The adjustments are tiny.. Overturning is the worst thing you can do!!

Also my acid test is let out 25' of line and crank the lure back in at a slow steady pace. If it tracks straight to the rod tip, you got it.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
X
It depends on how big the waves are . 1-1/2' or less going uphill isn't too bad, but bigger then that and it usually is just too much work.
depends on the boat too... in our 30' Baha (10k lbs beast), we can troll either direction in 3' waves. not really even uncomfortable in that. over 3' and it is a bit bumpy trolling into the waves as the bow will slap.

thus size does matter...

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
any thoughts on switching out the treble hooks for single hooks on both sticks and spoons? single will tangle less in net and with only one point should have better hookups - more pressure on one point. of course we may miss the walleye that just slap the lure - the under chin hookup on trebles now. have you tried? what single hook size and make?

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
any thoughts on switching out the treble hooks for single hooks on both sticks and spoons? single will tangle less in net and with only one point should have better hookups - more pressure on one point. of course we may miss the walleye that just slap the lure - the under chin hookup on trebles now. have you tried? what single hook size and make?
I played with this quite a bit last year. It work well, but I did not switch everything, mostly because of the hassle and expense. It takes a hook with the eye inline with the point . Owner single replacement hook size 1/0 is what I used on the cranks size 2 on the stingers.larger may be better for larger fish.

On Bandits I left off the front hook. Net was no trouble.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi Jim, thanks for doing this again. In my summertime spread, I have been gradually leaning towards crankbaits vs spoons. The crankbaits seem to attract less non-target fish and mostly keeper class fish. If scorpion sized spoons are producing on a given day, what size crankbait does that translate to? You told me this one time in person and I cannot recall if a spoon represents a minnow that’s smaller than the actual spoon size or the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jim, thanks for doing this again. In my summertime spread, I have been gradually leaning towards crankbaits vs spoons. The crankbaits seem to attract less non-target fish and mostly keeper class fish. If scorpion sized spoons are producing on a given day, what size crankbait does that translate to? You told me this one time in person and I cannot recall if a spoon represents a minnow that’s smaller than the actual spoon size or the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spoons represent things smaller then they are. But I seldom run small crank baits. On Erie the area W of the Bass Islands is about the only area that would pull me that direction, and this year it may not be needed. I do run smaller stick baits behind Dipsys in early summer because of the abundance of young of the year shad that can have the walleyes keying on smaller size prey.

I'm a big believer in cranks producing bigger fish. I've see it so often that the fish have proven it to me.

Hope this helps, good fishing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hey Jim,do you use solunar tables to plan your time of day fishing?I'm a believer it really helps with my planning when deer hunting and I'm aware of the most productive times when we fish.When it comes to fishing the tables don't seam to correlate as well as for deer movement to me.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey Jim,do you use solunar tables to plan your time of day fishing?I'm a believer it really helps with my planning when deer hunting and I'm aware of the most productive times when we fish.When it comes to fishing the tables don't seam to correlate as well as for deer movement to me.
When I tournament fished I made sure to know the times and to be on my best spot and never made a move while a major or minor was on. For years if we had a hot period I'd check to see if it correlated with a solunar period, and about 1/4 of the time it would.

Walleyes are susceptible to wind shifts, light changes, current changes and bait movements, but al those things being consistent solunar periods can be a big deal.

Thanks for the question and good fishing.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts