Ohio Game Fishing banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
fishin is fun
663 Posts
Jim
I was thinking of how well you explain things.

Maybe a basic 101 for the brand new to eye fishing group.
Sometimes all we discuss is the master level ideas.

Idea is a person buys a boat and wants to go after eyes for the first time say May to July and lives within 2 hours of the islands or Geneva.
I know so many variables but thats what makes this site so good and people want to help others

Or if you've done this in the past put reference pages up?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Jim
I was thinking of how well you explain things.

Maybe a basic 101 for the brand new to eye fishing group.
Sometimes all we discuss is the master level ideas.

Idea is a person buys a boat and wants to go after eyes for the first time say May to July and lives within 2 hours of the islands or Geneva.
I know so many variables but thats what makes this site so good and people want to help others

Or if you've done this in the past put reference pages up?
Beginners need all the help they can get. It's a big lake and a complex fishery. Shortening the learning curve and/or getting some fish is crutial. It's just too complex for me to try and cover in a do this and do that fashion.

First decide what method you want to learn, trolling, casting, or drift and dragging. Then find someone who fishes that way, and see if you could tag along or charter a trip with a captain who understands your situation and is willing to do a learning charter. This actually is a really good idea to do before you buy the boat because not every boat can be perfect for all methods.

If you have a fishing buddy make sure to take him along, because you brain is going to be overrun with info, and he may remember some key points that you miss or forget. Ask questions and try to get to a point that you could mimic whatever it is that you're seeing.

This is the quickest and easiest way to get off on the right foot. I still get calls from guys we taught years ago and life long relationships may and do develop.

Or search all the midwinter seminars for any specific question, over 15 yrs and around 600 questions each year, I'm betting you can find about anything about Lake Erie walleye fishing in there somewhere.

Have a great year and be ready for a ton of yearlings.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Do you use a fluoro leader and if so when would you vs choose not to.

Also snubber or no snubber for a dipsy and do you run mono or fluoro for your leader.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Do you use a fluoro leader and if so when would you vs choose not to.

Also snubber or no snubber for a dipsy and do you run mono or fluoro for your leader.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes I do use pure flouro leader material (25# test) behind Dipsys with a snubber. And I never choose not to.

For clarity I never use a snubber behind any type jet, but still the same 6' flouro leader (West end).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey, Jim, can you talk about the preferred way to adjust your line counter reels? I know some guys who just loosen the drag when letting line out and never open the bail. Then they tighten the drag when they reach their desired line length.
Also, how tight should the spool tensioner be?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hey, Jim, can you talk about the preferred way to adjust your line counter reels? I know some guys who just loosen the drag when letting line out and never open the bail. Then they tighten the drag when they reach their desired line length.
Also, how tight should the spool tensioner be?
Drag tension is a matter of personal preference. The only rule is never set the drag so tight that a big fish could break the line,

Loosening the drag to set lines is an other way to do it and quite acceptable. I release the spool and turn on the clicker so I don't get distracted and forget about the bd going out.

I like to keep the drags loose enough to pull line off the spool (kinda like where it would be perfect to handle a 23" fish).

The spool tensioner is also a matter of personal preference. I like It loose enough to allow the boards to peel off line. The problem is when the tensioner is that loose, if you release the spool to adjust a bd without thumbing the spool, you'll get a birds nest, your experience will dictate what's best for you.

Interesting questions but questions that do not have only one right answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Matt Faust did send over a telemetry animation and some other intel. I will attach a link for that as well as the 2020 Lake summary for your mid-winter reading enjoyment. There are quite a few studies going on and reports regarding different aspects of this fishery. Most can be found through the first link or on ODNR’s site.
Big thanks to Travis, Matt and the rest of the folks at ODNR.
Al

GLATOS (Look at projects)

121 - 127 of 127 Posts