Ohio Game Fishing banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
jdl447, I personally don't know anyone who does this, but one of the great things about Lake Erie walleye fishing is, just because nobody else does it does not mean that you shouldn't give it a try.

It seems that trollers are trollers and casters are casters, but the is no rule that says it must be that way.

Good luck.
I’ve been trying to do this for a couple/ 3 years now and have only had the discipline to do so once or twice. I will try again, but wait for a day when the schools are generally bigger than the small pods that have been more common as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
This may have been asked before. But does anyone find fish trolling then stop and drift and cast the area?
I have done this on occasion, usually when we are done trolling for the day. Getting set up to troll requires specific gear and rods, kinda a pain to switch unless you are done… takes time to switch. It can definitely be productive though. Once last season we stopped trolling and broke out the spinning rods. The action was much faster than it had been trolling for whatever reason.

·
10pounder
45 Posts
When trolling crankbaits or stick baits do you mix and match for example run a bandit, p 10 and husky jerk all at the same time to see what they are hitting or do you prefer to troll one brand and if you are not catching any fish switch everything to another type or brand? Thanks

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
When trolling crankbaits or stick baits do you mix and match for example run a bandit, p 10 and husky jerk all at the same time to see what they are hitting or do you prefer to troll one brand and if you are not catching any fish switch everything to another type or brand? Thanks
If I have a good report I'll start with all the same lure at varying drop lengths and adjust to what works.

If I'm starting from zero, especially in the early Spring, I'll start with different lures. A dp Rogue or dp Husky jerk, a Bandit and a Reefrunner is a good example. I'll run the shallowest running lure on the outside, the mid depth lure in the center and the deepest lure on the inside,

Shallow lure would include P10s, dp Rogues and dp Husky Jerks. Mid depth would include walleye dp Bandits, Reefrunner Skinny Stick & 44 Mags, deep lures would be Yo Zuri Crystal Minnows, Reefrunner 800s, Bomber 25As and DewEye Reaper.

Drop lengths would usually be between 40 and 100', but most often 50-75'.

Talking about it makes me anxious for ice out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Guess this is fishing related if someone were to bring these for lunch... but Jim what is your honest opinion of Kewpee Burgers in Lima? Read an article on these burgers and wonder if they are worth the hype? TIA Jim and glad to see this year's seminar going strong.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
ErieRider, absolutely positively yes. We have 3 out of town kids and the Kewpee is is always an understood must when they come home.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
ErieRider, absolutely positively yes. We have 3 out of town kids and the Kewpee is is always an understood must when they come home.
To get on a fishing topic, the Midohio Walleye Club will be having 2 ODNR guys talking about Lake Erie walleye with emphasis on what the telemetry studies have shown. It's a 2-1/2 hr drive for me and I'm planing on attending.

The meeting is free open to the public and at Gormans Nature Center, 2295 Lexington Ave, Mansfiels, Oh 44907.

·
2,482 Posts
To get on a fishing topic, the Midohio Walleye Club will be having 2 ODNR guys talking about Lake Erie walleye with emphasis on what the telemetry studies have shown. It's a 2-1/2 hr drive for me and I'm planing on attending.

The meeting is free open to the public and at Gormans Nature Center, 2295 Lexington Ave, Mansfiels, Oh 44907.
I just talked to Jim he says the meeting is at 7 PM tomorrow night Thursday, January 12, 2022.

·
2,482 Posts
I just talked to Jim he says the meeting is at 7 PM tomorrow night Thursday, January 12, 2022.

Just did a search on Facebook and here is the post about the meeting:
If your looking for something to do next Thursday eve (1/13/22) and would like to increase your knowledge of the great fishery we have in Lake Erie, then come check out Matt Faust and Zak Slagle, Fisheries Biologists with the ODNR Sandusky Fisheries Unit. They will be the guest speakers at next Thursday’s Mid-Ohio Walleye Club meeting. They will cover tons of Lake Erie information including the walleye Telemetry (tagging/tracking) program, population data of walleye and perch and many other interesting topics. There will be lots of question/answer time so come prepared to ask questions, discuss, and interact.
The meeting and club is free and open to anyone who would like to attend. There will be refreshments served and a tackle raffle.
Message me if you would like more details on this meeting or the MOWC.
When: Thursday (1/13/22) at 7PM
Where: Gormans Nature Center
2295 Lexington Ave.
Mansfield, OH 44907
Tim Joseph-President
Mid-Ohio Walleye Club

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Thank you meerkat. I was pressed for time and simply thought I had included the date & time, but... Any way sorry for the oversight, and thanks for watching my six. If anyone is going to make you look like a dumba$$, it might aswell be yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jim - Thanks for doing the winter seminar! As we round the corner to spring, I start dreaming about pre-spawn trophy walleye. What are some tactics for locating and catching the big girls? Thoughts on spring fishing around the western reefs vs. Kelleys? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Jim - Thanks for doing the winter seminar! As we round the corner to spring, I start dreaming about pre-spawn trophy walleye. What are some tactics for locating and catching the big girls? Thoughts on spring fishing around the western reefs vs. Kelleys? Thanks!
My first thought for catching the big girls is you must go early. The biggest females seem to be the first fish to spawn and the first to vacate. Ice out is the best time.

For tactics the choices are jigging for small schools of big females tight grouped on the bottom or trolling cranks over high scattered large fish with bait. I've done 12-15 hundred word articles on both these methods but I can't do that here, so let's leave it at I have gone with the trolling the last several years.

My best suggestion is to start with 3 diferent lures as discussed in # 104 above, and look for transitions from stained to cleaner water. Expect lots of deep marks in the dirty water but don't fall into the trap of fishing for them because they are neutral to negative. You'll likely not find clean water but 16 to 24" of visability is good enough, so long as you have marks.

Location wise the fish can be any where West of Catawba but on the N side and E side of the fireing range is usually the most productive. Kelley's can hold fish but the last 10 yrs the number out there have fallen off.

Then be patient, don't expect to light up these fish but when it happens you'll like it.

Thanks for the question and good luck.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

Thanks for the plug Jim! The MOWC is a not for profit club and we try to provide a fun, entertaining, and informative meeting with quality speakers. We have had some great ones including the #1 world ranked Walleye Angler as well as numerous other top pros, Lake Erie guides, tackle makers (Dennis Kitchen Jr of DJs Customeyes Lires and Scott Stecher Owner of Reef Runner Lures for example), and (it’s been a minute) Jim Stedke. Might have to reschedule Mr. Stedke to speak at the March meeting, if it works????

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Tim , If you can promise that your meeting day will be unfit for fishing I'm in, but you have no idea how jealous I am of good weather days In March. Those are my #1 most anticipated days of the whole fishing season. And I'm sure you would hate it if lost one because of a your meeting (or at least I would hate it). So I'll give you a rain check, unless the ice gets 20" thick and there is little chance of ramps being open.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,036 Posts
Wow Jim, you are a hunter! I'm hoping and happy to get out by mid April in WB. Kudos to you and friends.
Stay safe most of all.
Rickerd

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Tim , If you can promise that your meeting day will be unfit for fishing I'm in, but you have no idea how jealous I am of good weather days In March. Those are my #1 most anticipated days of the whole fishing season. And I'm sure you would hate it if lost one because of a your meeting (or at least I would hate it). So I'll give you a rain check, unless the ice gets 20" thick and there is little chance of ramps being open.
Jim I agree. March can be awesome but it’s hard to predict that far ahead. I’m no ice junky so I’m not a fan of this weather. I’ve been on the ice near Catawba one day and in a boat near there 2 weeks later before, so it can change quickly.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
M
Wow Jim, you are a hunter! I'm hoping and happy to get out by mid April in WB. Kudos to you and friends.
Stay safe most of all.
Rickerd
Well I guess I'd say I'm more of a caller then a hunter. Last yr I fired 7 shots at ducks, my son standing beside me shot 2 boxes. But we hunt on Indian Lake not on Erie.

For many years our boat was the first one launched in West Harbor and the very last one pulled. Cold water fishing demands emphasis on safety. I tell 1st timers to look over the side of the boat and realize that they are looking into the face of death. You must be self sufficient, and your rig must be in tip top shape.

I've caught walleyes on Erie in a boat every month of the year in 2 separate years. But it doesn't look like this is going to be that kind of winter.

Good luck next year, and good fishing.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Wondering how the seminar went. Also wondering if the telemetry data is available online?
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Seminar went well. Most of stuff is available on line under Sandusky Fisheries site, but you might as well call them and have them direct you to it. I should have taken a pic of the slide when he had it up. My bad.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
As anyone who has ever taken the time to read or participate in this forum knows, there is a staggering amount of knowledge shared on this site and this thread by sportsmen far more knowledgeable than I will ever be in regards to fishing…. Thanks to everyone and specifically Jim for another great Mid Winter Seminar.

In regards to the seminar last night… I am waiting on a return call from Matt to gain access to the telemetry study. In said study Matt caught summertime Eyes, tagged and followed their movements. Can’t wait to see it. I will post it if I get access to it.

If you ever have a question about the amazing fishery on Erie don’t hesitate to give the ODNR fisheries research station in Sandusky a call. They have the intel you are wondering about with the research to back it up. Great folks and they are as passionate about fishing as you are. They are an exceptional resource in our quest for a wall hanger… don’t overlook them.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts