Ohio Game Fishing banner
61 - 80 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just for the record… for me, with just two in the boat trolling uphill is similar to a root canal. 18’ Lund Pro V.
I’m able to actually fish going downhill.
Prefishing solo for an early Spring tournament yrs ago, in solid 2'ers, the fish would only bite going into the wind. Lost several at the boat trying to net up hill, and finally took the time to loop around down wind letting the fish hang, then catch and net the fish. That was a learning experience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OR19 (no pin) on the front. OR16 (with the pin) on the back. Line goes behind pin on OR16. Twist the line 4 or 5 times & clip the twists into the OR19 with the loop facing forward & a bit of slack between the pins so the board runs naturally. To release the board to bring it in, give it a sharp pop. Board will swing in behind the boat but don’t crank till it is behind the boat or you will snag inside line. You may need to adjust tension on the OR19 if you get false releases in waves. Pads on those OR19’s will wear and need to be replaced after a while. False releases are the clue.
I had 4 or 5 OR16 pins brake of this year. Do you have this problem?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
If you're using braid the braid can cut into the pin and eventually cut completely through the pin. We've had some pins get slotted with mono, but haven't had any failures (pins breaking off). If you have trouble getting line out of the clip, the pin has a slot or notch catching the line.

Hope this helps, good luck. And happy holidays.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're using braid the braid can cut into the pin and eventually cut completely through the pin. We've had some pins get slotted with mono, but haven't had any failures (pins breaking off). If you have trouble getting line out of the clip, the pin has a slot or notch catching the line.

Hope this helps, good luck. And happy holidays.
Thanks to you and Meerkat for your input. I run 12# Maxima mono, and after countless times removing boards, the line starts getting stuck in the rear clip. It does wear a grove in the pin, and eventually break. After chasing down 4 or 5 boards this year, I finally figured out, CHANGE YOUR CLIPS when the line starts to stick!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thank you for again doing this seminar. I only have two full years chasing eyes on Erie and this thread helps immensly. What are your guys thoughts on walleye migration ? I usually launch either Cleveland or Geneva, but wonder if I should expand that area. I've caught 10lb eyes mid may launching from both. Definitely greater quantity from Cleveland. But I also hit Cleveland alot more that time of year. The more of the telemetry studies I read, the more confusing it gets.

Kip

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
284 Posts
There have been an increasing number of resident walleye around the lake. Hard to beat the area from the west of kellies Island and the western reef complex near davis Bessie from mid March through july.

Reactions: One guy and a boat

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey Jim, quick question about how the fishing is effected by ice cover? If I remember right the lake was froze over last year, but not the previous couple. My fishing was sporadic at best this past year as compared to previous years, where I thought I had things pretty well figured out. The way it’s looking I’ll be surprised if there’s substantial ice this year. So do you think for us part time fisherman the fishing tends to be better when there’s less ice? Thanks

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Snapper, I truely don't think ice cover has a lot to do with fishing being better or worse. There's evidence that ice cover may lead to better hatches, but last yr was a light ice cover yr, and the hatch and recruitment were very good.

Stable weather has as much or more to do with good fishing as everything else. Big changes in barometric pressure, to me is the primary culprit. Heavy blows dirty up the lake, shift currents and break up the schools of bait, which in turn break up the schools of walleyes.

If we have little or no ice by Jan. 1, it takes a lot of really cold weather to give the ice guys a shot at fishing. So I think you're right.

The guys still boat fishing are doing well, but the really big fish are still few and far between.

The thing that I'd encourage you to do is work at building a network of fishing buddies that share info with you. Not that they're going to tell you exactly where to go, what to use, speed, color, and do everything but catch them for you, but knowing a general location and depth is a great advantage to going out with no idea of what's been happening. This takes time, and starts with you sharing good info with a dock buddy, or a guy with a boat at a gas station.

I get calls from guys that I don't know at all, and try and treat them like a brother. It's a big lake and there are more fish right now then possibly ever before. Stay out of the packs, and realize that the better fish are the first ones to get spooked. Tune your lures, pay attention to details and enjoy our great fishery.

Merry Christmas and good fishing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks Jim for the reply, and for your yearly Q&A. It has become part of my network. OGF has helped me immensely in building a network. I’ve met quite a few friends here, and grateful for them all.

·
"SKEETER"
201 Posts
Hi Jim,
In an effort to minimize getting lures out of the landing net. Do you have any advice/ experience on removing one of the treble hooks from Bandits? If so which one?
Thanks for the Q&A and Happy New Year to all.
Skeeter

·
Registered
845 Posts
Also which net do you recommend for getting hooks out easy. I replaced a worn out bag with a cumming rubber coated bag with small squares and it is terrible at getting hooks stuck. Going to take it off and switch to the red white and blue bag unless someone has another option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Also which net do you recommend for getting hooks out easy. I replaced a worn out bag with a cumming rubber coated bag with small squares and it is terrible at getting hooks stuck. Going to take it off and switch to the red white and blue bag unless someone has another option.

I have an Ego2 Slider. My buddy has the same and replaced his with a rubber net last year. It worked substantially better than the coated nylon net. The hooks still get caught occasionally but nothing like the nylon coated net.
In fact, I liked it so much I had Santa bring me one for Christmas..

·
Chris
506 Posts
I have an Ego2 Slider. My buddy has the same and replaced his with a rubber net last year. It worked substantially better than the coated nylon net. The hooks still get caught occasionally but nothing like the nylon coated net.
In fact, I liked it so much I had Santa bring me one for Christmas..
How is the weight of the rubber replacement vs. the coated nylon? My first and only rubber net was really heavy but that was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Fishstyxx, I've tried 2 things, removing the middle treble only, and also replacing the front and rear trebles with a single teble replacement hooks. Both seemed to work quite well, but I have not gotten to point that I felt confident enough to do either to all my lures.

I also replaced the trebles on small spoons with a single Siwash hook.

On the cranks I used 1 size large treble on the rear.

Thanks for the question, and good fishing.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

We have a net bag that has twine that is a very loose open weave that you can separate for easy hook removal. I have no idea where it came from or who made it. Maybe someone here can help. It is the best I've seen, and I've looked for those bags but have had no luck.

Good luck, good fishing and happy new yr.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I literally have a pile of nets and bags that I have tried over the past 20 years or so, Frabil, loki, RS, Beckman, Ranger, Ego....the list goes on, for the last several years I ran a couple cummings handles and hoops with a loki coated basket as I like an octagonal handle that I don't need to look at to extend or retract. Last summer I bought a new cummings red white and blue rubber net, shortly there after I ordered another rubber basket from them to replace the the loki basket on my spare net. Like many people I tried a rubber net years ago and hated it because of the weight. The new clear rubber baskets they use on the cummings are the best and closest to a true hook free net that I have ever used! You can literally just flip the net over in the bottom of the boat and the the fish and crank roll right out of there!

reelylivinsportfishing.com

61 - 80 of 210 Posts