close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jim and Mike's Big kayak adventure

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jun 10, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

NOT!

Went with a friend that doesn't fish much, launched about 6am on the nut, it takes me a good 30 minutes or so to set up the yak with all my gear the way I like it(I basically bring the garage I've been told) so we get under way, second cast with my baitcaster throwing my all-time favorite creek SM lure(rebel humpback but don't tell) and I hookup with a nice pounder sm about 30 feet away, she jumpes as pulling the line amost to the drag and she throws it, now I'm in a sit on top yak thats made for fishing, easy to get in and out and can store everything dry but your legs are exposed compared to regular yaks, and I forgot to mention I replaced the trebels the night before with gamatsue(sp?) top quality trebels, the ones with a curved points and BIG nasty barbs that hang on tight, so the darn lures whips back at me like a slingshot, tags my right legs between my knee and ankle PERFECTLY burying TWO of the three hooks all the way past the u curve of the hooks and the one left hook is straight up, couldn't have put it in with a t-square better. SECOND darn cast! My partner said, it ain't bad lets keep going the 6 miles to where I parked my car, and I have blood pouring out. I tried with pliers and my knife(which I keep all my knives sharp enough to shave the hair on your arm, I'm fanatic about sharpness like my hooks:) ) no luck barbs in 3/4". So had to go to ER to get it out and you should have seen and heard the heck I got with a lure stuck in my leg like a weirdo earring. Numbed me up, told Doc to save the lure, he had to cut each one and drive out down in more to turn it so it came out about 3 inches away from where each one entered. TORTURE! without the numbing you would have been able to get any info out of me, even if I didn't do it! Soooo, get home, same buddy wanted to go back out later sat night, I agreed(why?) he forgot his crappy pole, didn't tell me before I get there, I have 2 expensive baitcasters that he can't and WON'T use, and my smimono(spelling again?) open face and my best st. croix 6 foot meduim light rod, see where this is going? Well he SNAPPED it, not just the tip which is somewhat fixable but in HALF! then he got mad and threw it saying he would buy me a new combo, I told him the reel was still good and $90, the rod $100, he stared at me in disbelief, said no pole is worth over $30, he happened to throw it in the deepest hole around, we never found it. I wrote down what it was and told him to look online for it so he would believe me, hasn't called me back. So I'm out my best spinning rig(my baby!!!!!) 4 holes in my leg, I don't remember if I had my tetnes shot within 5 years and to top it off the neighbor across the street came over last night at 3am crying and drunk, saying her husband and her at a party he was messing with another girl in front of her and other things not suitable here and wife and up until 5 am with her. What an adventure, I think I'll start sewing, its got to be safer...:(

2. If it makes you feel any better, a year or so ago I had to go to the ER to get stiches in my finger. The nurse asked how I got cut and I had to tell her Nerf gun.

Sorry about the pole. I had mine stolen from the mother in law's garage a few years ago. You'll bond with another one.

3. I thought I was the only one who had those kinds of adventurous days. I couldn't imagine him throwing your pole like that, but I guess that's what friends are for.......

4. And I thought this kind of stuff only happened to me!;)

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

sounds like you should have stayed in bed.
    this is one reason that i wont take in-experienced folks fishing....unless they happen to be really nice looking female type:D

bust that dudes chops if he wont take care of biz.

6. Funny thing about that story to me is that the barbs DIDN'T work for the fish but DID in your skin. I've begun the practice of squashing the barbs in all the hooks I use (unless a circle hook). I don't think my percentage has dropped much if any and I'm safer for it...

7. never ever ever give others to use your gear. I had mine broken only a month ago. You probably lost both the combo and the friend...

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'm not sure if i'd want you in my boat with me.i have eneough trouble with treble hooks all on my own:rolleyes::D

and as for this.............................
    at least needles don't have barbs,which makes easy in and easy out:D :D

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Not cool! That would be the last time that guy ever went fishing with me, to treat nice equipment like it's garbage. He shouldn't be throwing a gum wrapper in the river much less a broken fishing rod. Someone could be wading and slip and yikes!

CG

10. Well i guess i`ll have to confess;:D
    Guess how I got my nick name?
    Capt. Hook,
    You got it.:eek: I got it in the ear,
    arm, leg and backside.
    On the bright side the one in the
    backside was from another angler,
    My grandson, oh well.

Got some good SHARP side cuts
    and havn`t been hooked since.;)

Go Figure.

Capt Hook

11. a friend of mine got hammered on the scioto with a bunch of people hanging out on shore. he was fishing in his canoe when they offered him some vodka and lemonade. an hour after he was done with those guys he managed to hook a rebel in his leg (both trebles hooked deep into the calf) and capsized his old towne. moral of the story: don't drink and fish! or atleast don't get tanked. oh also, ya i agree, fishing with inexperienced is the worst. i fish with my friend occasionally and he forgets everything every time: how to tie a damn knot, how to cast, how to take the hook out, etc.

12. hahaha, I think we have the same friend :)

13. StuckAtHome

Its not infected YET!!!! lol
    Talked to my "buddy" this morning, he said he was going to WALMART to get my pole, er, I said just bring the money (no checks) to the house and I will get it, he still thinks its a $20 at most combo , it all ANYONE would spend on a fishing pole, said I got robbed. At least he is a popular morning DJ here in columbus on the FM side(can't tell) and he is bringing me and my wife tickets to the REO def lepperd and styx concert( somewhere in the first section middle) as act of friendship he calls it. I learned a lesson(again) he is a golf buddy, not a fishing buddy.
    MISFIT: Cmon, we could really have some fun together, just imagine the stories...

14. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

That explains a LOT! lol

CG

15. NewbreedFishing

guess it would be safe to assume that it's a rock station.

would be funny if it was ELLIOT:p

16. StuckAtHome

Debt is paid, still friends. Called him this morning to let me win the morning show prize but that didn't work, told him my leg still hurts, but no go. Good news is now I'm in the market for a new spinning combo, wife wants it to go for baby clothes, darn him for paying me in front of her!!GRRR!

17. NewbreedFishing

man ...u just cant win!
    i say go big and buy something that costs 2x what he gave you and then of course...lie to the mrs.:p

18. StuckAtHome

all in all a good week considering, I'm not dead, still married, 3 great kids, no job (plus or minius depending on my mood), alot of debt(wrong list), and I get to fish once a week- lifes too good to complain, but I still do...