Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in the "massacred the eyes" thread that you guys were targeting river smallies with jigs. I vowed that I was going to use jigs more this year to target stream smallies. I ran into quite a few rock bass on 1/8 oz. jigs with 3" mister twisters last weekend and I wondered if I should go a bit bigger. I often use 3" power craws and tubes Texas rigged with a 1/16 or 1/8 bullet sinker (depending on the stream flow) but both of those seem to have a bigger profile than a 3" mister twister. I rarely rig the craws with a jig because I get hung up to much, but I really liked the feel and action of swimming those mister twister jigs last weekend.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Try going with a bigger profile grub like a 3" Kalin grub. The grub body is much fatter than a Mr. Twister. I know alot of guys throw 4" grubs when they are targeting smallies too. I think they still use an 1/8 oz head but get them with a wide gap hook.

Jake

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
bigger wont work, i dont think.
i was at the Dabry 2 weeks ago and used a 4inch berkley power tube texas rigged with a 1/32nd bullet sinker. the rock bass hit it harder and faster than my dads 3 inch grub. i did get 2 smallies on it though, one being small and the other being 13inches and a pound. it might help but those rocks are on fire and will hit anything, granted the rocks i was catching were big.
worth a shot though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You Also May Want To Try Finesse Tubes. I Use Them A Lot, Had Very Good Succes In Darby, And River Sections Of Sciota. Darker Colored Bait Got More Fish. I Like To Use Venom Brand, But Noticed Better Succes With Strike Kings Bitsy Tubes. I Rigged Them With 1/16 Or1/8 Bullet Slip Sinkers, Or With Internal Weight That You Insert Into The Tube Andrun Your Hook Through The Hole In The Weight. The Latter Of Those 2 Hangs Up A Little Less. These 2 Baits Are Great For #'s If Your Nor Too Concerned With Size, As They Will Get All Sizes Of Fish. I Was Using Them On The Darby Last Year, Was Getting A Lot Of Fish Under A Pound, Switche To A Spinner Bait, The Nubers Of Fish Really Went Down, But I Got About Half A Dozen Fish In The 3-4 Lb Range.

·
Crupi Wannabe
160 Posts
The rock bass were hitting on everything last week. We caught countless river rockies on grubs and crankbaits. I don't suppose you caught yours right off the banks??

If it is bigger fish you are after, I believe you are on the right track to upgrade to a 4" lure. One of my favorite smallie lures, although not a soft plastic or jig related, is the lucky craft pointer 128! This is a pretty big lure, but it hauls in big fish. I routinely throw 6" lizards for smallmouth and have done just fine.

I believe Buckeyfishinnut is right on:B

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Sounds like the rocks are on fire in all the rivers around here, I even caught a big rock on a coors lite lure in my box, what a fish will do for spuds!

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is bigger fish you are after, I believe you are on the right track to upgrade to a 4" lure. One of my favorite smallie lures, although not a soft plastic or jig related, is the lucky craft pointer 128! This is a pretty big lure, but it hauls in big fish. I routinely throw 6" lizards for smallmouth and have done just fine./QUOTE]

Most of the lures I throw in the streams are bigger than those jigs I was using. I have tons of cranks and spinners and plastics and everything else (including the lucky craft). I just never was much of a jig fisherman and wanted to get better at it and I'm looking for all of the pointers I can get. It seemed like the jig I was using smaller than everything else I use so I was wondering if some people upsized to 1/4 oz jig heads or those bigger grubs when they are going for smallmouth. It also is a very economical lure (especially compared to lucky craft).

I bought some black and white heads and tails. Maybe I should pick up some chartreuse also. Does anyone thing their is any big difference between painted or plain jig heads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts