Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out trolling for hybrids i have been having some good luck but the other day they were suspended in deep water and trolling wasnt getting them to bite. When a another boat pulls up and starts fish live bait and kills it! now i fish out of kayak and artifical is what i use i was trying spoons, blade and jigging crank baits with now luck, what other baits do people use? Would curly tail grubs be worth trying? Just looking for a little honest advice thanks.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I like a husky jerk for that scenario. You may need to put some lead tape on it to get to the proper depth though. I find the depth they are at on my graph and then suspend the bait about 1-2 feet above that. Slowly jerk the bait back to you or slow roll it back.

I also use a green metallic husky, six inches long. I don't know why but hybrids seem to like that color a lot!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some of those baits so you use lead tape to get the bait to sink deep enough and then just fish it like I normally would? I love that idea I never would have thought of that I was thinking jigs. thanks for the great insight you rock.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice on live bait but i am wanting to fish artifical even though i am set up already to fish live.
Update bass pro sells a sof plastic swim bait shad put it on a road runner and i was tearing up the hybrids jigging for them. Sometimes you just need to look for a good looking soft plastic.

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
100% "presence" in the water. You are feeling the fish refuse the bait at the last second.

If you've found something that works, it's because you've fooled the fish until it's too late....especially when talking about suspended fish where they have time to examine your offering.

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
What about an Alabama rig? Never tried one, but swimming a small school of shad through a bunch of suspended Hybrids would seem to be a good idea....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts