close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jig Paint!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by JimmyC, May 14, 2008.

1. JimmyC

JimmyC RoAd TApe

Has anyone tried the dry jighead paint.... It says 2 heat up the jig head and then dip it in and swish it around! It costs about 7 bucks..... just wondering if its worth it or if its better 2 just buy new jigs when you bang the paint off of them!

2. ive heard using the spike it dip is the best dip to use if your painting jigs/blades.

3. You must be talking about Powder Paint. I have used it on all my jigs for a few years now. Just heat them up with a small burner and swish them in the paint. Take an eye buster and clean out the eyes then bake them in an electric oven at around 325 degrees for 20 minutes and they are done.

4. yeah i use the powder paint all the time pretty easy to use i get it at gander only thing is i wish they had more colors

5. I've always painted my worm weights. (brush on) When they tell you to first paint them with the white base paint... They mean it! I leaned the hard way!
    The paint stays in place much better! The nasty part is the odor. Man... you need to be outside when using that stuff. Headache city!

I also use the clear coat. I like to mix a little glitter (craft Dept at Wally world) in the clear. Makes for a really nice finish!

The powder paint sounds a lot simpler. However, I can't figure out how a guy would hold the weight while it's being dipped?????

Is there any odor? I have a wife and I'd like to keep her! If I start messing with her toys (oven) I might be flirting with disaster!

6. put a paper clip through it and put a little bend in it so the weight does not slide off, powder paint is great stuff!! There are some how to videos here.

http://tjstackle.com/

7. Clyde, I use a candle and just insert a toothpick in the top of the worm weight to heat the weight before powder painting it. Instead of swishing these, I just barely put it in the paint rotate the weight with the toothpick. Happy Painting!

8. JimmyC

JimmyC RoAd TApe

Thanx 4 the great info everybody! I'll have 2 try 'em all out!!:)

9. deacon20

deacon20 The Real Deal

i've always use powder paint on my crappie and saugeye jigs.the best place to get power paint is a place called lurecraft,there located in lagrange in.thereweb site is www.lurecraft.com,or call 1-800-925-9088 to request a cataiog.they have about 30 or so of power paints.

10. JimmyC

JimmyC RoAd TApe

Thanx deacon! I'll check it out!

11. Has anyone used the gold colored powder paint and if so does it give a color anything close to an actual gold color? Thanks.

12. JimmyC

JimmyC RoAd TApe

I just got some chartreuse powder paint and painted a few jigs!! They look great!... I was wondering... Has anyone mixed different colors of powder and painted jigs? (example: Chartreuse and orange).. and if so, do they look pretty good if u paint them with mixed powder? Thanks

13. It is great. We use it for everything now. We even use it for our Weedless Bass Jigs. That is a little harder to do but can be done. If you want a wide range of colors visit www.jannsnetcraft.com.

14. Tell you the truth guys, I was looking to buy some of this stuff for my worm weights......I like to buy the unpainted screw loc ones.......but I decided to try something different this winter and I used all my wife's old nail polish.

I did buy some top coat - tough as nails or something by sally hansen - and it WORKS GREAT!!

Plus I've got TONS of colors to choose from - my wife's got a ton she doesn't use anymore.....and most all have glitter in them. I found that about 3 coats is perfect, then the top coat.

So far they are holding up great!