Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve only ice fished a couple of times 15 years ago. Back then I was using jigs and live bait. This year I plan to try to learn jigging for without or live bait or if needed simply as an addition to the jig. What are the basics needed for:

1. Jig selection (I’ll stick with panfish)
2. Jig presentation

and if possibly consider a relatively small budget.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
782 Posts
I’ve only ice fished a couple of times 15 years ago. Back then I was using jigs and live bait. This year I plan to try to learn jigging for without or live bait or if needed simply as an addition to the jig. What are the basics needed for:

1. Jig selection (I’ll stick with panfish)
2. Jig presentation

and if possibly consider a relatively small budget.

thanks for the input
I’d most definitely tip your jig w live bait, for panfish mostly wax worms or maggots, maybe minnow or head for perch. Pinmin jigs are basic start. Good luck and be safe!

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,771 Posts
Yup, single waxing or maggot on a little jig. 2-4 test with a micro swivel. Also those smaller swedish pimples work great too. Definitely consider small plastics too. I take a razor blade and carefully cut up old used rubber worms into little micro baits. Also melt some down, suck up with a BBQ injection syringe, then push out the plastic onto a non stick pan once the plastic cools a bit to form micro worms.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup, single waxing or maggot on a little jig. 2-4 test with a micro swivel. Also those smaller swedish pimples work great too. Definitely consider small plastics too. I take a razor blade and carefully cut up old used rubber worms into little micro baits. Also melt some down, suck up with a BBQ injection syringe, then push out the plastic onto a non stick pan once the plastic cools a bit to form micro worms.

And don't be shy to use those trout worms. They work just as well and usually can be pinched off into a couple if not a few different pieces.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Where do you have the micro swivel tied on?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I run 4 lbs then microswivel then 2 lbs from swivel to jig. Except on my inline rods they are rigged with 3lbs no swivel

·
Registered
311 Posts
The gold waxie jigs have been a fav of mine the past 2 years. Followed by the pink/chartuse color. Rigged with 2 maggots or 1 waxie and let it drop to the bottom and then slowly pick it up about a foot and shake it and if nothing raise it another ft and repeat. I usually do this for 1/2 the water depth then drop back down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts