close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jig and a slip-bobber?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ohiou_98, Jun 2, 2007.

1. I was reading a DNR fishing report, and it stated that people are catching crappie on, "jigs tipped with minnows under slip-bobbers."
    I've never fished a rig like this, and it sounds akward to fish. I mean, when I use a slip-bobber, (or any type of float) I'm primarily still fishing.
    If I use a jig, I'm using some type of swim bait, or actual jigging, in other words I'm constantly moving the bait-not still fishing.
    And, to combine the two-jig and float, seems to be opposite of each other.
    Please explain how this works or should be fished?

2. If the bite is slow under the still bobber, then sometimes jigging the bait under the bobber is what they will go for. I'd say that a couple of split shot near the hook and you have the same thing.

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

You are right ohiou, it is still fishing. You will be casting with this presentation to a specific spot or small area that is holding crappie.
    The jig is to hold live bait, so it does the moving around for the most part with this set up.
    The jigs I use are pretty small. Either an ice jig for maggots and waxworms, or a 1/16 -1/8 oz. jig for a minnow. I also use a bare hook a lot of the time with a split shot 12"-18" up from the hook.
    The slip bobbers advantage is the castability it has over pinned bobbers. With 4'- 12' settings you will have a nice mess with a regularly pinned in place bobber trying to cast it. ;)

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I fished the linesville stump area at Pymy today using a jig/ slide bobber setup. 1/16 oz jig with a white body, tipped with a crappie nibble, and had a great time. Only fished 6ft down in 8ft water, but it let me make some very long casts to swim the bait back to me. Did well on crappies, perch, gills, and catfish. I use this setup at shenango lake all the time over deeper brushpiles (15-18ft).

5. Hmmm well I use that rig quite a bit but I don't really still fish with it. I cast out, give the jig time to fall to the set depth, then work the rig back to me in stops and starts and giving the rig a little "wiggle" at each stop. You'll want to cast out past the target and work the setup back to the boat then cast again. It's kind of half way between still fishing and just casting a jig. The advantage is you work a larger area of water than just still fishing but you can still easily control the depth of the jig/minnow. Each time you reel in a little line the jig/minnow will rise in the water column then fall when you stop the retrieve so you also cover a bit more of the water column with this method. I vary how much line I reel in between stops, the length of the stop etc. until I find what the feesh like that day.

Like chaunc mentioned you can forgo the minnow and use a crappie nibble or wax worm or something else. Some days they even seem to just like the jig with nothing else but usually adding a minnow or something helps. You can also try the setup just using a minnow on a hook with a splitshot close to the hook but the jig gives the rig a better action (up/down slow rise and fall through the water column) during the retrieve than a minnow on a hook.

If you're a bass guy you can do a similar thing with a wacky rigged worm or sinko ;)
    Good luck,

Steve