close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jerky shooter ideas?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Toxic, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I am dehydrating apples in my dehydrator as I am typing this. I had several bananas left over. I started slicing them up like I normally do. I had an idea to use my jerky shooter and try to make banana fruit roll ups, or something like that.

Has anyone every tried using their jerky gun for anything else beside for jerky? How about making fruit roll ups? If so how did they turn out. I figure worse case scenario I wasted about 60 cents worth of bananas :p

2. Toxic,
    Do you like the shooter? I have been thinking about one. Interesting to think about making fruit roll up type stuff.... what is your plan? Would you need to run it through the food processor or bender first so you could "shoot" it? I wonder if there is a web site for them that might cover these ideas...
    Scott

3. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Scott, I just threw them down the tube and squeezed the trigger. This is my first time ever using the gun. So far I like it. It was a Christmas gift that my Sister bought for me. The brand is called a Jerky Cannon. It was easy to use and a breeze to clean. I did a search a while back for fruit roll ups. They called it fruit leather. And there are a ton of recipes out there.

Normally bananas take 6-7 hours to make depending on how thin I slice them. This process may take a little bit longer. I'll post my results in a few hours.

Jess

4. i was making stuffed porkchops one time and was scratching my head as to how to get the stuffing in the little opening i made when it dawned on me to use my jerky gun. I had to modify the tip but worked like a charm!

5. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

My experiment with the bananas took to long to make. After 10 hours, I shut the dehydrator off. If I would have stuck it out for another hour or two, it probably would have been done. The mixture was a little to thick. If I can get another smaller end to make the mixture thinner, I'd be in great shape. Back to the drawing board.

Side note, the apple slices turned out great and always.

UPDATE: I shut the dehydrator off and went to bed. I left the banana's in the dehydrator over night. This morning when I took them out. They were done. And they are not half bad. So they turned out okay after all.