Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Never paddled one yet but every time I see a review the more I like I this boat.

Hopefully I can save enough money for one next year unless something better comes out by then.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
My OP on this boat is below. It just keeps getting better as far as I am concerned. I did a 2-3 hundred miles of creeks and small rivers in it this summer, and I don't even think that is what it probably does the best. This would be a tremendous foul weather yak. Lots of stability and protection from the elements for you and your gear.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=229968

I think it doesn't get the buzz that some yaks are getting because SOTs are all the rage. I had SIKs and a hybrid before this, and this is sort of the best of both.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
What are you going to use the boat for, and don't listen to Neil, he has been in the sun too long

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Oh sweet Jesus don't get Neil going....

LOL...I saw this just after I posted. He cleared the rocks a little better in his Coosa than I did yesterday, but between my gear and gut, I probably had an extra 75 pounds on him. When I paddle with Larry in his Coosa, I clear the rocks just the same...:D

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
With the low water yesterday, the coosa shined, being able to turn on a dime and maze my way thru the rocks, can't beat that boat for that!

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Kilroy will probably replace my Ascend D10.

EDIT: Wow, just watched the 2nd video, that yak looks awesome. Incredible features, really like the interior rod storage and removable deck. Hook storage in the split foam, BRILLIANT! I may end up with two of these eventually replacing both the Ascend and Vapor, SIK are great for cold weather yakking. I'll going to wait till next year at least so I can catch any improvements.

Based on the 'Cuda 12 hull, it's not going to be a great white water yak (I didn't say it couldn't do it Neil ;) ), but should do fine in easy moving water and familiar flows.

Hey, I want to know more about the
they showed in the Kilroy video!

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
Flatwater I guess, in moving water, no way IMO.
I did LD, BD, BL, KK, RF, Upper Scioto, Tangy, etc. this summer. It handled Factory Rapids at 350 cfs like I was on a kiddie ride at the fair. Way.

Funny, though. When I got back to school this year, a couple kids asked me if I'd been working out.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
It handled Factory Rapids at 350 cfs like I was on a kiddie ride at the fairway.
No issues with that stern keel getting pushed in eddies or getting a heart stopping thrill on snags or rocks?

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
No issues with that stern keel getting pushed in eddies or getting a heart stopping thrill on snags or rocks?
Only if you take your hands off of the wheel. I have just let it ride into an eddie to see what it does, and it will do a bit of a snap turn if you let it. Stick your paddle in the water to stop that.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Hmmmmm, now I'm wondering how the Cruise 12 will do in the LMR or GMR. I'm thinking my 14'4" 'Cuda will be a tad long for that.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Flatwater I guess, in moving water, no way IMO.
I saw this boat handle some hairy obsticles this spring in a fairly quick flow. Did just fine. As a matter of fact there was a coosa there on that same float and the guy struggled. I do my fair share of creek fishing and see people having fun and navigating just fine in all typs of yaks.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
It depends on the person's abilities. If you take a fast flow and want to hit the eddies, the coosa will beat the kilroy hands down with the same paddling abilities, don't get me wrong the kilroy's a nice boat, but the keel and length prevent it from turning like the coosa.

Try this, in very fast water below a riffle, try to paddle across the current with a slight angle upstream, any boat with a pronounced keel will snap turn, don't care how good you are, you'll be lucky to stay dry. In the coosa it was designed by white water guys from the start, it excels in moving water, the front will glide over the fast water and you can ferry across with little effort.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
It depends on the person's abilities. If you take a fast flow and want to hit the eddies, the coosa will beat the kilroy hands down with the same paddling abilities, don't get me wrong the kilroy's a nice boat, but the keel and length prevent it from turning like the coosa.

Try this, in very fast water below a riffle, try to paddle across the current with a slight angle upstream, any boat with a pronounced keel will snap turn, don't care how good you are, you'll be lucky to stay dry. In the coosa it was designed by white water guys from the start, it excels in moving water, the front will glide over the fast water and you can ferry across with little effort.

The other day I said a Coosa wasn't as bad on flatwater as people state and got hammered about hull and keel design. Today its the opposite where keel doesn't really matter...

And before I get called a hypocrite, I'd argue that the shortcomings of a slippery hull are far easier to overcome than the restrictions created by a well defined front and rear keel.

Again, on flatwater, sure. Although I'd go solo or small canoe first.
On moving water, way no. There are simply too many better choices.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Today its the opposite where keel doesn't really matter...
Yea, it gets a little confusing at times, it's taken me a while to figure it out. I think what matters is

1. The experience of the paddler and

2. the conditions on the water. If there is quartering wind on flat water, a river boat is going to be a lot of work to keep it on track. If there are a lot of snags, a lot of eddies, a boat with a sever keel (like my 'Cuda) will be a greater challenge to navigate the water.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
Yea, it gets a little confusing at times, it's taken me a while to figure it out. I think what matters is

1. The experience of the paddler and

2. the conditions on the water. If there is quartering wind on flat water, a river boat is going to be a lot of work to keep it on track. If there are a lot of snags, a lot of eddies, a boat with a sever keel (like my 'Cuda) will be a greater challenge to navigate the water.
I actually think it goes more like this,
1. which boat someone has
2. what water someone has paddled
3. if the day ends in Y

1 - 20 of 23 Posts