close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jack Plates and Keel Guards

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Reel Lady, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I have a question for you guys (and girls :) ) about Hydraulic Jack Plates and Keel Guards.
    For those of you who don't know, we just purchased a 2005 Ranger621 at the Boat show this year. I've been reading about Jack Plates, and how they can really help you to "Fine Tune" the performance of the motor by giving you more motor placement options. Is this something that I should consider for my boat?
    Also, about Keel guards... What is your opinion on them? In particuliar, the Hamby's Keel Guard. (that is the one that I am considering) Is this a "Must Have", "Should Have", "No Need to Have" option for a boat?
    Thank you :)
    Marcia

2. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

looking at the specs for the 621 it has a 6" set back built into it I would check with ranger and see what they say . the keel guard will be worth the expense to protect your hull if you beach the boat or from the unknown in shallow water I will be putting one on the boat I bought in nov.

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

go to walleyecentral.com and do a search. or you could post a new topic and im sure you will get more then enough feedback on the jack plates. alot of members on that site are running 621's..

sowbelly

4. If you plan on running flat out most of the time, even in a moderately rough sea, then it could be considered. I personally don't see the need for it on the rig you have purchased. Talk it over with Don or Scott and see what they have to say.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Even if you decide to get one, don't waste the money on a hydrolic. Get a manual one. Once you find the sweet spot you wont be moving it anyway. The keel guard would only be needed if you plan on beaching your boat. Both are great for bass boats, but I don't thing either would be needed for your boat. Go to www.bassboatcentral.com Just go to the Ranger boats section and ask. A ton of knowledge on this site. Dealers, marine techs, and semi pro - pro fisherman visit it.

6. Ncraft150, I dissagree. I had a ranger 521 with a 5.5" setback hydralic jack plate. Being able to adjust engine hieght from the cockpit is a HUGE advantage. Set it low for a super fast jump out of the hole in shallow water and then fine tune it to the sweet spot to wring out every MPH. When Lake erie gets nasty, drop it down all the way to get a good grip while riding the waves. Bring it up when working shallow flats to avoid hitting bottom. Just make sure you have a water preasure guage.
    I now run a lund and have not put it on this hull, yet.