Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a husband wife team from Missouri on board Saturday that were very experienced in jigging on the Missouri River. They were totally unaware of our Lake Erie walleye fishery and brought their own gear. On the way out to the buoy, I basically explained I didn't think jigging would work well in the deep water so we began trolling. We had a stellar morning and although they didn't care for the broomstick rods and reeling in the boards, they enjoyed the catching.

By 10:30 we were catching and releasing when my kicker puked. We were wellllll south of the pack and the fish were "stacked" on the bottom. Without missing a beat they pulled out their gear and began jigging with 3/4 oz chartreuse jig heads and 1/2 a worm. I zoomed the Lowrance so they could see their jigs working right above the fish. Within 5 minutes a 7+ lbr was brought in, and they continued to put on a jigging clinic in the deep water boxing at least 8 in less than an hour.

Moral: Keep some jigs in your tackle box and when life throws ya a lemon, think outside the box.....& jig em up !!

GR
'Eyes On' Charters

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Awesome report, I love the outside the box techniques. My dad would want to try that on the east end, maybe...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
How deep were you guys? We jigged in 45ft. on Lake Michigan a few years ago for Lakers and slaugthered em. 1/2ounce and it was tough to stay on the bottom but when you were on the bottom. Hold on. Good job on getting some nice eyes trying something new!

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
In addition to keeping some jigs on board, keep an open mind to other methods.:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
with an understanding of the perceived need(on Erie) to board troll for walleye, jigging is still the best stealth, and sport method of pursuing them, and the most satisfying....

but my opinion is born from over 40 years of structure fishing, mainly up North, and if trolling was done over jigging(at night), it meant long flatlining by "feel" with 3 lines and a tiller!

given the right wind and wave conditions and today's GPS driven electric motors, jigging Erie can be a nice option when a school is located!

·
Registered
757 Posts
7 pounders jigging with spinning equipment would no doubt be a blast. Will have to try it sometime.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Now the cats out of the bag.....that is exactly what I do outside packs when all the traditional methods do not work. As long as people keep being hard headed about what they use there will be more fish for us.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Were they jiggin standard round jigheads without feathers/streamers or something a little different.

Great piece of info...thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Really sounds like a blast! I know on the detroint heavy jigs with fin s es and straight rubber worms(shakey hd style) work good for the walleyes.
Bobby

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We were in 43-44'fow about a mile plus from the weather buoy.
I threw out the drift sock, so we were driftin about .4 - .6mph on the gps.
They were using simple round, 3/4oz, chartreuse jig heads. 90% of the hits were on the fall. He didn't snap it, but used an exaggerated high stick lift and slow controlled drop with a couple pops before letting it hang just above em.
We were on a very large pod and the hooks were literally stacked like cord wood on the bottom. Screen looked like I was jiggin' off Turtle in the spring.

GR
'Eyes On' Charters

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My Jigga. Better get that kicker fixed fall is in the air, can't wait to come out your way and get on em like we did last year. See ya soon, Scott.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Jigga. Better get that kicker fixed fall is in the air, can't wait to come out your way and get on em like we did last year. See ya soon, Scott.
PennYan at dock, Crestliner in garage & ready ;)
<unless someone buys this great boat soon >

Rumor has it the Fat Lady has been spotted in Conny singing
"Go West wiley Walleye, it's Time to Go West". :D

It'll be good to see ya'll at the Huron ramp !!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I heard you out there Gary. Sucks about the kicker but congrats of the fish. I saw them stacked like that too. I got out there a little late for the good bite. I should have jigged. lol

Great job!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now the cats out of the bag.....that is exactly what I do outside packs when all the traditional methods do not work. As long as people keep being hard headed about what they use there will be more fish for us.
Good post Carp!

Older guys remember the "stained" water where weight-fwd was the preferred method, no concern about spookin em, and these baits were similar to the jig concept, but remember, an average 20' boat with 3 guys didn't spread the bait out like boards do. I guess the boards are meant to allow more lines out while being more stealth away from the engine noise, hence all the equations used for depth control while broadcast trolling.

That said, getting a walleye to bite with no board weight, no dipsy weight, etc. is a more pure method, as is flatline trolling.

Whatever it takes for proper presentation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts